Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from an old newbie

Hello from an old newbie

Hello all,
    I just thought I'd introduce myself, My name's Nige and although I'm 53, after reading a lot of posts on this forum, concider myself a total newbie
    I can't get over how things have changed in the airgun world, when I was young, I was bought up on Gats and Diana .177 pistols and rifles, progressing through the next few years onto Relum Tornados with under-lever and Webley's, BSA Meteors etc. The finest gun I ever owned was a BSA Airsporter .22 with a rubber pad on the stock. I've only had a rifle in my hands once in the last 20 years or so and that was 7 years ago when on holiday in the Isle of Wight where they had a Sunday morning competition for guests. (And I won!! )
    So why have I joined this forum? Well I suppose it's because the bug never really left me and now, living in Spain and having more time on my hands, I'd like to take the hobby up again so thought I'd better gen myself up a little as to what's available and for how much, and where better than on here? Unless I buy a gun through mail order, which I might well do, the choice here is terrible, there is one place within 100k that I know of that sells rifles, I've seen them on a rack at the back of the office, I intend to investigate later this week to see exactly what they are.
    Now I've read a fair bit on here, I'm totally confused as to what to buy....All I wanted to do was a bit of plinking, a bit of rabbiting etc. Any suggestions would be very welcome.
    Nige

rompa stomp Guest
    hi mate and welcome to the fourm i think a tx200hc would suit you as its a brilliant rifle will knock the socks off a rabbit and is very accrate only thing is that it is a bit heavy at 8.5lbs without scope silencer

Welcome aboard NIGE.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Hello and welcome to the forum matey. Geoff.

Thanks for the welcome folks, I forgot to ask in my first post, which caliber should I be looking at, .177 or .22?
    Nige

Quote Originally Posted by nige52
    Thanks for the welcome folks, I forgot to ask in my first post, which caliber should I be looking at, .177 or .22?
    Nige
    Oh! No! This has got to be a wind up.

Ray

Nige
    A sense of humour too.

Now you have opened a can of worms

Welcome to the BBS, happy safe shooting.

Regards
    Barry
    http://www.picturetrail.com/airgunner

http://www.picturetrail.com/airgunner2388

Daystate MKIII RT (A).177" - Daystate MKIII RT (B) .22" (FAC) - Daystate MKIII RT (B2) Short .177" - Daystate MKIII Sports CDT (C) - Daystate X2 Sports R .177" - Daystate Harrier X .22" (FAC)

www.daystateowners.com

corb.177 Guest
    Hello and welcome
    Guns certainly have come along way in the last 20 years especially pneumatics. The choice is endless as to what gun to buy as the variety is huge and so is the price range. The best advice is to get to a club and try a few out but I guess that might be a problem where you are?.
    Have a look at some gun shops that have web sites and have a look what is on offer and if you have any questions post on here and some one on here will have the answer.
    As to calibre that is a very open question, but if your target shooting .177 and if you hunting .22 Also is there any power restrictions in Spain?
    Hope this is of some help and good shooting.

Wow, a glut of replies
    No, it's not a wind-up, seriously. It's just that when I was younger, a .22 was the ONLY calibre to own, a .177 was regarded as inferior for general purposes. I didn't realise the question was err..sensitive?
    Looks like it'll have to be a .22 then as like I said, I want one for general plinking and a bit of rabbiting.
    Nige

Wow, a glut of replies
    No, it's not a wind-up, seriously. It's just that when I was younger, a .22 was the ONLY calibre to own, a .177 was regarded as inferior for general purposes. I didn't realise the question was err..sensitive?
    Looks like it'll have to be a .22 then as like I said, I want one for general plinking and a bit of rabbiting.
    Nige
    NO CHANGE THERE THEN!

Hi Nige & welcome to the funny farm, I reckon you'd better get a Gamo
    there should be plenty of them around your neck of the woods, & they're not that bad, choose wisely - try them first, & get what suits you
    Last edited by GaraGun; 13-09-2005 at 03:03 PM. Reason: smelling ****take

Wow, a glut of replies
    No, it's not a wind-up, seriously.

I retract my previous 'sense of humour' statement!

stingray Guest
    Where in spain nige?

Almeria province, so when looking at a map, it's half-way between the costa blanca and the costa del sol.
    http://www.postcardfromspain.com/poolviews.jpg

I tried to attach a photo but the upload box said I could only upload a file of 1 byte??????
    Nige

stingray Guest
    ok
    thought ide ask as i was in Denia last year, good gun shop there