Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Walther LP53 - what is the leather washer for on the cleaning rod?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    london
    Posts
    79

    Walther LP53 - what is the leather washer for on the cleaning rod?

    As the breach seal is neoprene (and a different size) what is the leather washer on the end of the cleaning rod for, or is it just a spacer?

    Also can anyone tell me the transition date (or serial no.) from smooth to crackle finish.

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Wooster
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by Discocom View Post
    As the breach seal is neoprene (and a different size) what is the leather washer on the end of the cleaning rod for, or is it just a spacer?

    Also can anyone tell me the transition date (or serial no.) from smooth to crackle finish.

    Cheers
    I believe the transition was around 24000 plus?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    2,512
    Always thought the leather washer was to protect either end of the barrel from damage if rod pushed in too far ?

    Baz
    HONORARY SOUTH AFRICAN CITIZEN

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Market Drayton
    Posts
    350

    lp53

    You could well be correct in your dating of the finish of blued action on lp53s.My extensive collection of said model extends to some 28 approx,i will have to count them to be certain of numbers.My first blued version is serial No. 003137 which is the first year of production 1953.The last blued version i own is a 1956 de-lux boxed version adjustable trigger serial No.17747.A 1957 de-lux boxed version with fitted barrel weight
    adj. trigger. Serial number 21090.Has the fine crackle finish, so has serial number 21010 1957.So abit before the 24000 mark.
    Roly.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    london
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Always thought the leather washer was to protect either end of the barrel from damage if rod pushed in too far ?

    Baz
    Hi Baz

    That makes sense, a bit over engineered. I guess thatís why they did away with it later on

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    london
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    You could well be correct in your dating of the finish of blued action on lp53s.My extensive collection of said model extends to some 28 approx,i will have to count them to be certain of numbers.My first blued version is serial No. 003137 which is the first year of production 1953.The last blued version i own is a 1956 de-lux boxed version adjustable trigger serial No.17747.A 1957 de-lux boxed version with fitted barrel weight
    adj. trigger. Serial number 21090.Has the fine crackle finish, so has serial number 21010 1957.So abit before the 24000 mark.
    Roly.
    Just to complicate things... is there a transitional partial crackle finish? Sure I read that somewhere, although my LP53ís receivers are either all smooth or crackle finish.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Market Drayton
    Posts
    350

    lp53

    Good Grief you are getting complicated now. Looking at some of mine i would say that the fine crackle finish is more or less the same from my 1956 to my 1974 model although a few have a slight pattern to the finish which looks very nice and over the years you would expect a slight variation in finish,so no transition between i would say. Roly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •