Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I be asking for a new gun under warranty??

Should I be asking for a new gun under warranty??

Hi all, first off I’d like to say hello to you all, as this is my first post. Just after your opinions really, as I’ve recently bought a new BSA R10 SE in .177 after having about 10 years away from shooting. This gun is around 8 weeks old now and just after some advice from people with more experience.

I bought the gun brand new from a local gun shop around 8 weeks ago. When I tried to set up the scope, I discovered that one of the screw threads on the scope mount was faulty as the screw wouldn’t tighten which was clearly noticeable and I’d have expected the shop to realise and sort out prior to me collecting it. No big deal as I took it back and they changed it over for me.
    Once I started shooting the gun I realised that the gauge didn’t seem to work properly, as it would not move for around 2 hours after putting air into the gun. Also, while shooting the gauge wouldn’t go down either, so I never knew when to add more air other than when the shots started dropping off. This was usually around 60-70 shots which is A LOT less than the 190 claimed by BSA!

I took the gun back after around 2 weeks and the shop agreed to change the gauge as it was obviously faulty.

The shop added a bit of air in the gun and I topped it up to 200 bar when I got home. Around 3 hours later I checked the gauge and noticed that it was now at 120 bar without me using it at all, so back to the shop for a third time to sort out the air leak. They then had to take the gun for 10 days to be repaired.

I picked the gun up and a few days later I took it shooting. I decided to use a chronograph to check what the power output was and using various pellets, it was a max of 10.2flbs and not the 11.4 that the shop told me when I bought it. The other lads that I was with checked theirs and they were between 11.4 and 11.7 which is what I would expect. Back to the shop again.
    I’m told they would have to keep it again but would get it sorted for me. This is getting on for another week now, with no sign of it being ready.

I have previously owned an Air Arms S410 which never gave me any problems at all. I appreciate any gun can go wrong however, I’m really not impressed with the BSA R10 so far.

Just after other peoples advice on the matter. Would you expect a gun that’s less than 2 months old to have this many problems from day one? Do you think I should now demand the gun be replaced with another that hopefully wouldn’t have so many problems?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

Mick

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Hi

A faulty scope mount, then a faulty guage, then a leak, and now it's underpowered? You have not had the use of it for probably almost half the time you have had it, I'd be gratious, but explaine you have had 4 problems with the gun set up in 2 months and they have not resolved them to your satisfaction, so now you want a replacement - this is your right, it's not a privilage regardless of their policy, and trading standards will back you on it. Make sure you have this all written down with any paperwork and timescales, then try to be polite, but firm - if it was a TV would you keep it?

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Thanks for the reply. When you think of it like that......no I wouldn’t stand for that on a new TV. I will give them a call today to see if it’s done and if not, I’ll be asking for a replacement.
    I looked at the trading standards “Consumer rights act” and I would definitely qualify for a replacement by now and should have probably asked for one sooner.

Mick

Bsa R10

After all these problems you will probably never be happy wih the gun,so maybe time to ask (Demand politely)
    for your money back and move on to another gun

Even with all the problems I’ve had, I still really like the R10. The only other gun that I considered was a Daystate Huntsman Regal but I still prefer the BSA to look at.
    I’ll be asking them for another R10 first off and see what they can offer.

Mick

Definitely a scenario for a replacement or refund and as already stated your right to one!! I recently bought a new HW77 and two weeks later upon fitting a scope discovered that I couldn't remove the open sight due to a slightly damaged scope rail. I took it back to where I purchased it and they ordered a complete new rifle in with no quibble.

Hi there and sorry to hear of your problems, you obviously want a rifle so just tell them (dont ask) you want a refund or a swap for the AA4/510, they should give you the swap as they still get your money and the AA is a cracking bit of kit. I would not even touch the r10 if they hand it to you, be firm and fair but dont accept NO

The r10 never gets the shots claimed by the way

Good luck

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Quote Originally Posted by 32:1 View Post
    Hi there and sorry to hear of your problems, you obviously want a rifle so just tell them (dont ask) you want a refund or a swap for the AA4/510, they should give you the swap as they still get your money and the AA is a cracking bit of kit. I would not even touch the r10 if they hand it to you, be firm and fair but dont accept NO

The r10 never gets the shots claimed by the way

Good luck

Chris
    Yep, i agree with this too. The R10 sounds like a friday afternoon lemon and you'll always have doubts if you keep it. See if they will swap it for an AA.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    Hi

A faulty scope mount, then a faulty guage, then a leak, and now it's underpowered? You have not had the use of it for probably almost half the time you have had it, I'd be gratious, but explaine you have had 4 problems with the gun set up in 2 months and they have not resolved them to your satisfaction, so now you want a replacement - this is your right, it's not a privilage regardless of their policy, and trading standards will back you on it. Make sure you have this all written down with any paperwork and timescales, then try to be polite, but firm - if it was a TV would you keep it?

James
    James is spot on. I had a similar problem some years ago with an R10 and promptly changed it for a Huntsman Midas.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

As far as I understand it you have 30 days in which you can ask for a full refund if a product is faulty then if it develops a fault after that 30 days a retailer sends it back to the manufacturer or wholesaler who gets one chance of rectifying it.If it still has the same fault you can request a full refund.

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong with the above but I've had 2 pcp's now in which one was returned next day for a refund and another that went for repair after 6 weeks and still wasn't right when it came back so again got a refund.

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldandtarget View Post
    As far as I understand it you have 30 days in which you can ask for a full refund if a product is faulty then if it develops a fault after that 30 days a retailer sends it back to the manufacturer or wholesaler who gets one chance of rectifying it.If it still has the same fault you can request a full refund.

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong with the above but I've had 2 pcp's now in which one was returned next day for a refund and another that went for repair after 6 weeks and still wasn't right when it came back so again got a refund.
    You are indeed correct, see a cut and paste below.

30-day right to reject

Under the Consumer Rights Act you have a legal right to reject goods that are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described, and get a full refund - as long as you do this quickly.

This right is limited to 30 days from the date you buy your product. After 30 days, you will not be legally entitled to a full refund if your item develops a fault, although some sellers may offer you an extended refund period.

This right to a refund doesn't apply to products you've bought as downloads, though - such as music, games or apps.

You can, however, ask for a digital product to be repaired or replaced if it develops a fault. And if this isn't possible, or is unsuccessful, you have the right to receive a price reduction.

Perishable goods

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

I'd check with Trading Standards first by phone but it's my understanding that the 30 day right to reject does not include the days the item was being repaired & also should restart when returned "fixed".
    Regardless of that it has a 12mth manufacturers warranty.

Which brings me to ask, "Was it being returned to BSA for repair or is the shop doing it's own work ?" If the shop are doing it, first I hope you have proof, work reports etc as if you don't get anywhere with them I'd be on the phone to BSA themselves, with a hard copy letter sent to the director complaining about the quality, but the shop may not be reporting the problems to BSA who I feel should have replaced the gun after the second issue as it sounds like a "morning after" build.

If a repair or replacement is not possible, or the attempt at repair fails, or the first replacement also turns out to be defective, you have a further right to receive a refund of up to 100% of the price you paid, or to reject the goods for a full refund.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...mer-rights-act

Go get your refund Buddy
    Blowing out my candle wont make yours Burn any Brighter

I bought an R-10 Mk1 shortly after the launch having read that the early problems had been sorted. Immediately started having trouble with power fluctuation so returned it to my local gunshop. They sent it back to BSA and had it replaced with a new modified version no questions asked. Never had a problem with it since and a lovely gun to shoot

Thank you all for your advice. Just an update really. Unfortunately the shop is closed on Wednesdays but I have made a phone call to trading standards to get their take on the matter. They have advised me that under the "Consumer Rights Act" I have allowed the shop one opportunity to resolve any problems with the gun which so far, after 4 attempts they have failed to do.

They said that gives me something called "The Final Right To Reject" the goods as they are faulty, not fit for purpose and do not meet the expectations they should. This entitles me to a full refund although the shop could argue that a discount be applied as I have had some use out of the gun. They would have a hard job proving that I have have used the gun for it's intended purpose, as each time I have gone to re zero and use the gun, it's had further issues.

I will speak to the shop tomorrow and hopefully we can finally get the matter resolved i.e they change the faulty rifle for a new one. Failing that I will be seeking a full refund from them and take my business elsewhere.

The shop generally has very good customer reviews and I would rather have the option to buy from a local gun shop than buy from one across the country. I will let you know how I get on tomorrow.

Mick