Thread: Optima 4x40 wide angle

Optima 4x40 wide angle

Valuations please for a mint Optima 4x40 wide angle scope with bikini covers and in original box

If its the earlier one with 7059 on the side then I would say if truly mint £85. Why? because with the correct set of Apel low rings they are my favourite combination to have on a FWB Sport. That combo looks amazing, and what I have in my collection. I shot one so set up for years and its just the biz.
    If a later with BDC, if they did them ???, then £65. A BDC isn't necessary for a 4x40 scope.

Now thats a lot, and its the mint that is worthy of the premium.

Mount marks or of lesser condition then £40 or less.

The Moonlighter 3-9x45 are the sexier; I think sexier than the bigger one. I have two, early with BDC but not parallax. The last had parallax.
    The non parallax ones can require reparallaxing to air rifle ranges to get the most out of them. The mint one I have I wouldn't let go for less than £200, used ones go for £80-140.
    So very correct for early 80's rifles such as HW35E, FWB's, or Original 45's. Apel mounts to top it off.

Optically they aren't that fantastic, and definitely not a Leupold. Even the odd Tasco could be brighter, though not all. But for air rifle quite good enough.

Thanks very much for all the information. Mine has 7078 on the side so not sure what that makes it. Showing my ignorance - what is BDC?

Only the earlier ones had numbers. Most likely the same scope, won't add or take away from price.

BDC: Bullet Drop Compensatory. Or Target Turret, exposed turret, rather than covered turret, so you can adjust for range when out. At this quality then repeatability isn't that great so Hunting covered turrets are the norm; zero and leave them set nicely covered with their cap. But its a gismo and people wanted BDC's.

If you put it up at the higher price it might take a while to sell, as someone will need to really want it, if not have a rifle ready and waiting. Mint are hard to come by.
    Last edited by Muskett; 05-12-2017 at 07:46 PM.

Those numbers sound about right to me, even for a 4x40. Mint condition is important.

Objectively, the Hakko Optimas aren't much/any better than other contemporary Japanese scopes sold under various names, but they command a premium (50-100% depending on model) from sad nostalgics who couldn't quite afford them at the time or just liked looking at the ads and planning what they'd buy when they were grown up.

Sad nostalgics like me. A lot of collecting is nostalgia. In a good way.

I agree that the 3-9x45 has a certain special appeal to it.

Thank you Muskett and Geezer for your thoughts - Very helpful.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    sad nostalgics who couldn't quite afford them at the time or just liked looking at the ads and planning what they'd buy when they were grown up.
    Sounds a lot like me!

Smile

I've an Optima 4x,40mm that I bought from an antiques centre (Lots of stalls with different owners!), Think it was £25 but with no mounts..

Pic 1

I put it on a 1979 HW35, The 35 action is now in a Luxus stock that I bought from IJ at one of the Melbourne fayres

Pic 2

Pic 3

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I've an Optima 4x,40mm that I bought from an antiques centre (Lots of stalls with different owners!), Think it was £25 but with no mounts..

Pic 1

I put it on a 1979 HW35, The 35 action is now in a Luxus stock that I bought from IJ at one of the Melbourne fayres

Pic 2

Pic 3

John
    Very nice. And a bargain.

With a BDC, yes very nice.
    A good few sold so can be found, but mint ones are much harder and the reason I gave such a high premium. I used then best if with original mounts still in original position.
    Those mounts look good, Apel look even better. Sportmatch all a bit bulky.
    Sure look good on that HW35.
    I don't have a hosting site as then I'd put up my Sport picture.

Longbenton North Tyneside. +Dinnington FTC.

Thumbs up FWB 124 Deluxe with Optima 3-9x40 WA Scope.

Just sorted this out for a club member as the piston seal had failed big time. He only bought it 2 weeks ago from a local auction house, think he paid £240 for the whole outfit with a Bisley gun slip. Came all complete with both sights, no rust and the stock only has slight marks nothing to get upset about, and no signs of any splits. The Optima is a 7029 model 3-9x40 on an Apel one piece mount. Very lucky fella in my opinion.