Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just for fun comparison of Webleys first deluxe pistol to their last (blued)

Just for fun comparison of Webleys first deluxe pistol to their last (blued)

New to Webley collecting early this year I purchased my first blued Webley pistol which happened to be a Premier series E. It was the only blued Webley at my first local Airgun show. Later read that this was basically the last of the blued Webleys produced. Last week I bought a Webley Mark II Target. Not the first Webley pistol but the first deluxe one comparable to the Premier. 1926? vs 1974? Fun in a sense to have bookends to Webley blued pistol production.

Photo comparison: https://imgur.com/gallery/8Khi4

Observations:
    1. The Premier is noticeably heavier, I think mainly the slant grip takes much more metal, but does make the feel modern and about perfect.
    2. Tube profile look is exactly the same but Premier is slightly larger both in length and diameter.
    3. No safety on the Premier, ironically a must for current sales.
    4. Milled trigger vs sinter.
    5. Refinement to cocking linkages makes cocking much easier with the Premier.
    6. Totally different end caps on both ends of the cylinder.
    7. Funny to me sights that were seemingly identical, you would think this would have been refined?
    8. Premier 475 fps vs 405 fps, with 7 grain Hobbys.
    9. Shootout between the two scheduled for spring.

Now I just have to fill in all the Models between these two! Not enough time I fear. Lol
    Last edited by 45flint; 05-12-2017 at 06:18 PM.

I used to have a Typhoon (youth Hurricane, weaker Spring, smaller grip) but traded it in my teens for a Gamo Expomatic/ASI Paratrooper repeater. Fond memories, though. Must get one sometime.

My current stock is an early post-war Mk1 (.22"), a pre-1956 post-war Senior (.177"), a Tempest (.22"), and a Hurricane (.177").

My impressions:

Accuracy: Hurricane by a long way. Then Senior, then a tie.

Handling: Tempest, Senior close behind, Hurricane, Mk1.

Ease of cocking: Hurricane; Senior/Tempest draw, Mk1 definite last.

Pleasure of ownership/build quality/nostalgia: Senior way ahead. Then Mk1. The alloy later guns do not get close, even if they perform as well or better. The old all steel Webleys have the same reassuring compact heft as a Smith and Wesson Chiefs Special or Combat Magnum.

One I would keep: Senior. Hurricane close, but I have Diana 5s and a BSA Scorpion that fill the same niche, or, in the case of the Scorp, exceed it in all areas (including accuracy, not just size and power).

Recommendation: seek out a Senior, and/or an early Premier. Most Webley guys reckon that an early Premier is the best combination of characteristics (including trigger quality) that you can get. In my book, a good (which means nice trigger, they vary) Senior is similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I used to have a Typhoon (youth Hurricane, weaker Spring, smaller grip) but traded it in my teens for a Gamo Expomatic/ASI Paratrooper repeater. Fond memories, though. Must get one sometime.

My current stock is an early post-war Mk1 (.22"), a pre-1956 post-war Senior (.177"), a Tempest (.22"), and a Hurricane (.177").

My impressions:

Accuracy: Hurricane by a long way. Then Senior, then a tie.

Handling: Tempest, Senior close behind, Hurricane, Mk1.

Ease of cocking: Hurricane; Senior/Tempest draw, Mk1 definite last.

Pleasure of ownership/build quality/nostalgia: Senior way ahead. Then Mk1. The alloy later guns do not get close, even if they perform as well or better. The old all steel Webleys have the same reassuring compact heft as a Smith and Wesson Chiefs Special or Combat Magnum.

One I would keep: Senior. Hurricane close, but I have Diana 5s and a BSA Scorpion that fill the same niche, or, in the case of the Scorp, exceed it in all areas (including accuracy, not just size and power).

Recommendation: seek out a Senior, and/or an early Premier. Most Webley guys reckon that an early Premier is the best combination of characteristics (including trigger quality) that you can get. In my book, a good (which means nice trigger, they vary) Senior is similar.
    I have a made in England Hurricane, my first air pistol purchased maybe 20 years ago. It is about like new bought wood grips for it. Nice pistol but just can’t stand the alloy and plastic vs blued steel of the Premier. My thought is a Senior would be a nice addition but collecting is waiting to see what comes down the road. And they don’t come down the road as often over here.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I have a made in England Hurricane, my first air pistol purchased maybe 20 years ago. It is about like new bought wood grips for it. Nice pistol but just can’t stand the alloy and plastic vs blued steel of the Premier. My thought is a Senior would be a nice addition but collecting is waiting to see what comes down the road. And they don’t come down the road as often over here.
    Hi Flint, the strange thing is l bought my 2 Stoeger Webleys a Mk11 target and Senior straight grip pistols from the USA a few years ago. and would have bought a few more pistols and rifles if the sellers would have been prepaired to post them. and they were cheaper than l could have got them from over here in the UK.
    good luck with your collecting Webleys. there is quite a few different models to chose from. as well as different box fronts.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Hi Flint, the strange thing is l bought my 2 Stoeger Webleys a Mk11 target and Senior straight grip pistols from the USA a few years ago. and would have bought a few more pistols and rifles if the sellers would have been prepaired to post them. and they were cheaper than l could have got them from over here in the UK.
    good luck with your collecting Webleys. there is quite a few different models to chose from. as well as different box fronts.
    I have noticed a cultural divide between our two countries when it comes to collecting airguns. Here there seems to be a fixation on collecting airguns from your childhood irregardless of rarity or quality. Forums here talk endlessly about their latest pumper finds from the 60s -70s etc. Here also cartridge guns dominate collecting, gun shops get airguns and will post them on auction sites to move them often not really appreciating what they have. There are exceptions when bidding goes crazy but I am surprised how many nice examples I have gotten in just two years.

The pre-war Straight Grip Webley Senior is may favourite model as it not only introduced the extra cocking link to allow a much easier cocking stroke, but also the much nicer stirrup barrel securing latch.

For some reason, I also prefer the appearance of these earlier Straight Grip pistols, but find the later Slant Grip pistols provide a much more comfortable hold when shooting. My personal choice of the later pistols is the 'A' or 'B' series Premier which I think represent the best compromise between aesthetics and functionality for this design.

Regards
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    The pre-war Straight Grip Webley Senior is may favourite model as it not only introduced the extra cocking link to allow a much easier cocking stroke, but also the much nicer stirrup barrel securing latch.

For some reason, I also prefer the appearance of these earlier Straight Grip pistols, but find the later Slant Grip pistols provide a much more comfortable hold when shooting. My personal choice of the later pistols is the 'A' or 'B' series Premier which I think represent the best compromise between aesthetics and functionality for this design.

Regards
    Brian
    Having tasted a straight grip I agreed, like the older little more quirky look? And the quality of build. Have my sights on that Straight grip Senior, with wood grips. Here is one with wood grips and is a bit of a heartbreaker. Lol

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/723575451

Regards
    Brian
    Hi,

Just to chime in with an opinion - I agree fully with Brian. The pre-war straight gripped Seniors as well as the Target Model (you latest acquisition looks lovely 45flint) are certainly my favourite aesthetically. There is something about the vulcanite grips that seems to add to the overall appearance. I also quite like the feel when shooting them; although I do find that after multiple shots the 'square-ness' of the handle digs into the palm of hand during the cocking action (at least via the action I adopt). This is not the case with the later slant gripped versions so it marked an improvement in that sense

The perennial quest for me is to find boxed versions of both the Straight Gipped Senior and the Target model. I have seen a few over the years at fairs, auctions etc - But they have been very, very expensive (indeed, a Target Model was recently up on Gun* for £700)! I would also really like a Stoeger version of either. However, I've only ever seen one of these in the flesh - At the first Kempton Extravaganza! I note on here that UK collectors do have examples so presumably there are some still knocking around but they must be pretty scare here.

Anyway cheers - Interesting read

Best

Olly

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Having tasted a straight grip I agreed, like the older little more quirky look? And the quality of build. Have my sights on that Straight grip Senior, with wood grips. Here is one with wood grips and is a bit of a heartbreaker. Lol

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/723575451
    Although I have never had any problems with barrels bending when cocking these pistols in .22 calibre, I would still go for .177 as this would seem less likely in this calibre and I have yet to find a spring air pistol in .22 that shoots as well as one in the smaller calibre.

Regards
    Brian

Although I have never had any problems with barrels bending when cocking these pistols in .22 calibre, I would still go for .177 as this would seem less likely in this calibre and I have yet to find a spring air pistol in .22 that shoots as well as one in the smaller calibre.

Regards
    Brian
    Brian

You should try my .22" Scorpion. Stupidly accurate if I do my bit right.

But, in general, I agree with you. My very unscientific view on Webleys, having owned just five, is that the two .177"s shot more accurately than the three .22"s. And the thicker barrels just feel more robust.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Brian

You should try my .22" Scorpion. Stupidly accurate if I do my bit right.

But, in general, I agree with you. My very unscientific view on Webleys, having owned just five, is that the two .177"s shot more accurately than the three .22"s. And the thicker barrels just feel more robust.
    Hi Geezer,

Unfortunately, I no longer have the strength to lift a Scorpion on a regular basis. I do occasionally shoot muzzle loading revolvers and still own a Uberti Colt Dragoon which really moves around alarmingly while I'm trying to hold it on aim.

I must admit using spring powered air pistols has definitely helped with the muzzle loading revolver shooting though as they both require careful attention to follow through during the shooting cycle.

Regards
    Brian

Indeed. I have always found that practice with springer airguns helps with powder-burners. The technique for the latter may be different, but the focus on consistent grip and trigger technique and follow-through isn't.

Regards
    Brian
    I have a Mk1 straight grip, two Mk1s slant grip, two Seniors slant grip, two Premiers (A and E), two Tempests (original and Turkish), a Typhoon, Hurricane, tin grip Junior, later Junior and a Mk2 Junior.

Of all of these my favourites are the Premiers - easy to cock, well built and accurate. The 1920s Mk1 comes a close second. My least favourite are the Seniors - heavy, stiff to cock (ooh matron) and the triggers far too heavy (although I realise these can be worked on). The Juniors remind me of the Mk1 - similar in size and power output.
    The alloy Tempests etc are well balanced and accurate and although they are similar in design to the earlier models I think of them almost like an unrelated brand.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    I have a Mk1 straight grip, two Mk1s slant grip, two Seniors slant grip, two Premiers (A and E), two Tempests (original and Turkish), a Typhoon, Hurricane, tin grip Junior, later Junior and a Mk2 Junior.

Of all of these my favourites are the Premiers - easy to cock, well built and accurate. The 1920s Mk1 comes a close second. My least favourite are the Seniors - heavy, stiff to cock (ooh matron) and the triggers far too heavy (although I realise these can be worked on). The Juniors remind me of the Mk1 - similar in size and power output.
    The alloy Tempests etc are well balanced and accurate and although they are similar in design to the earlier models I think of them almost like an unrelated brand.
    Though not one with your experience the Premier to me is my favorite blued pistol to actually shoot, all the reasons you say as well as compact and best feel in your hand. Closest there is to shooting a cartridge pistol. The Haenels 28 are the best looking but the forward piston trust is ackward and accuracy for me is problematic?
    Last edited by 45flint; 07-12-2017 at 05:56 PM.

Thumbs up

I have a few Webbo's, In THIS pic a couple have gone but i've also added some that aren't in the pic!, Must take some new pics sometime!!

Have to say, I love hoe the straight grip looks but it's much less comfy than the slant grip pistols

I'm surprised IJ isn't all over this threas as I know how he just adores Wobley overlever pistols

BTW, My wife doesn't care for my rifles or most of my pistols but for some reason, She loves the Webleys, It caused an argument when I swapped a slant grip Senior and a straight grip mk1 for a spotless Hy Score mk2 sporter complete!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/