Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
The pre-war Straight Grip Webley Senior is may favourite model as it not only introduced the extra cocking link to allow a much easier cocking stroke, but also the much nicer stirrup barrel securing latch.

For some reason, I also prefer the appearance of these earlier Straight Grip pistols, but find the later Slant Grip pistols provide a much more comfortable hold when shooting. My personal choice of the later pistols is the 'A' or 'B' series Premier which I think represent the best compromise between aesthetics and functionality for this design.

Regards
Brian
Hi,

Just to chime in with an opinion - I agree fully with Brian. The pre-war straight gripped Seniors as well as the Target Model (you latest acquisition looks lovely 45flint) are certainly my favourite aesthetically. There is something about the vulcanite grips that seems to add to the overall appearance. I also quite like the feel when shooting them; although I do find that after multiple shots the 'square-ness' of the handle digs into the palm of hand during the cocking action (at least via the action I adopt). This is not the case with the later slant gripped versions so it marked an improvement in that sense

The perennial quest for me is to find boxed versions of both the Straight Gipped Senior and the Target model. I have seen a few over the years at fairs, auctions etc - But they have been very, very expensive (indeed, a Target Model was recently up on Gun* for £700)! I would also really like a Stoeger version of either. However, I've only ever seen one of these in the flesh - At the first Kempton Extravaganza! I note on here that UK collectors do have examples so presumably there are some still knocking around but they must be pretty scare here.

Anyway cheers - Interesting read

Best

Olly