Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hw35 Leather or synthetic piston seal ?

Nobody mentions the differing size of the TP.
    Strange.

Leather seal: TP 4mm
    Synthetic seal: TP 3 mm

So converting from leather to synthetic needs sleeving down the TP to keep good shooting manners.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by pelletcaster View Post
    Nobody mentions the differing size of the TP.
    Strange.

So converting from leather to synthetic needs sleeving down the TP to keep good shooting manners.
    yup.. unless of course you do Mick's version of the synthetic conversion, resulting in a lighter piston and a longer stroke, in which case the larger TP may just be OK - but I'd bet it would still benefit from doing down to at least 3.5mm, if not the full 3.0
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by pelletcaster View Post

I used to think that's how they came out of the factory --- but they didn't.

I've had leather sealed guns with 2.8mm transfer ports, and one dealer in the early 1980s advertised synthetic sealed guns with 4mm transfer ports.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    yup.. unless of course you do Mick's version of the synthetic conversion, resulting in a lighter piston and a longer stroke, in which case the larger TP may just be OK - but I'd bet it would still benefit from doing down to at least 3.5mm, if not the full 3.0
    I ended up sleeving the transfer port down to 2.5mm on my O ringed 71mm stroked HW35, Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I ended up sleeving the transfer port down to 2.5mm on my O ringed 71mm stroked HW35, Jon.
    yeah, o-ring with it's otherwise harsher landing would need some cushioning.. but I reckon std HW 30mm synth seal with a 69mm stroke and the 260g ish piston would be alot better on a 4.0mm port than it would with the 331g piston / 61mm stroke !
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I used to think that's how they came out of the factory --- but they didn't.

I've had leather sealed guns with 2.8mm transfer ports, and one dealer in the early 1980s advertised synthetic sealed guns with 4mm transfer ports.

All the best Mick
    Mine is like that too - nice small port, original leather, and shoots very nicely.

The vast majority T.P size across the HW35 range old & new is 3.0mm,others like the Vixen have a range of 3.2 - 3.6 possibly more.

I have found 4.0mm T.P on some old leather sealed 35's & 55's but no way of knowing if they left the factory that size.

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    Thanks for the kind offer Simmo.
    Mick's already sorted the synthetic seal piston for me.
    Atb
    Les..
    Anytime buddy

Clearout

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Crumbs Mick, Take it easy mate, There's always later to play on your lathes/Millers!

My old Faircut lathe is worn out, I have a nice 1950's Myford that's nice and tight on the ways but no room to get it set up until I clear the garage somewhat!

John..
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!