Thread: Half blowback pistols.

Half blowback pistols.

I didn't use to care for these because they didn't seem as realistic as the 1911, Sig 226 X5 etc.

But I think I am changing my mind.

And the reason for this is the Umarex Beretta APX. It is a nice looking gun, not very expensive and with semiblowback manages to get velocities close to400 fps.

The all metal full blowbacks manage about 300 fps, and the poor paint job on the die cast metal soon gets tatty. Plus the strong blowback contributes to them no lasting very long.

Polymer frames look better after lots of use, and many modern firearms have polymer frames these days, so they also look realistic.

Now I don't know why the Beretta APX has such good velocity - certainly reduced blowback must help to save CO2, but the metal slide itself may be very light compared to say the Cybergun Sig and PT 92.

I found myself wondering if semiblowback guns in general eg. the Gletcher Tokarev, Bersa BP9 CC, etc. were also as efficient with CO2 as the APX. They appear to be capable of very reasonable groups rested out to 10 yards, even though they are bb guns.

Are there any members who could shed some light on this?
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Only have experience with a Walther PPS but it's very economical on gas. Well over 100 shots on a capsule.
    It's not the most accurate but it's only got a short barrel.

I have a Bersa BP9CC that has a short/mild blowback cycle. It does have a good shot count (I get through many Mags).

It does not load the BB in the way that the KWC 1911 does (automatically by the slide coming forward). Initial movement of the trigger loads the bb, further movements operated the hammer/gas valve.

The real BP9CC has a short reset on the trigger, it seems that the bbs does too; it can double feed a bb if you dwell on the trigger - it works fine if you just get on and shoot! The pistol is very slim and compact which sets it apart from most other blow back pistols.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Thanks for the replies.

The Bersa is a neat looking gun.

I forgot about the Walther PPK, even though it was the first to offer blowback.
    Arthur

I've just ordered an APX with the silver top slide yesterday, i'll see what it's like once I get a chance to shoot it.

Yes,that's the one I like too.
    Arthur

The APX I looked at was expensive and rattled.

Oh dear.

One very popular outlet is doing them in black on special offer for a ton.

The rattle is worrying though.
    Arthur

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    The APX I looked at was expensive and rattled.
    Maybe the one at the shop you tried was faulty Patrick, ref the rattle?
    I got the silver one for under a hundred euro from Poland along with a tan sig p320, that was a good price to.

There is a good review of the APX on "replica airguns" on youtube, you know the Canadian chap.
    Doesn't mention a rattle, says crisp blow back and quite accurate for a bb shooter.

It shot ok in the shop.
    Good blowback and metallic clang.

But the slide did rattle when I just handled the gun.

They wanted £160 which I thought too much which was why I left it.

Is there a risk that some of these combine the poor trigger and accuracy characteristics of the non-blowback "barrel hammer" pistols, and some of the wear/durability issues of the full blowbacks?