Thread: Poor service from Cheshire Gun Rooms - again!

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom

Poor service from Cheshire Gun Rooms - again!

This is just a rant - or a warning, take your pick, about Cheshire Gun Rooms in Stockport.

I previously spent a couple of grand with them on two new rifle packages a few years back and asked them to check them before I got them as I knew there had been some issues with these new guns - they said all was fine and come and collect them. Fast forward 2 days after collecting them and taking them to try out - and they both had to be returned with easily identifiable issues that they told me they had checked - total fabrication on their part, and if they did check them they are also totally incompetent.

I have not used them since, until a month ago when I was doing an RFD transfer and dropped a pistol into their Bolton branch as I was there anyway. I suspected it was the gauge or thread as I tried to seal it unsuccessfully using PTFE tape as it was a tapered seal which does not use an O ring, but air was leaking badly. This was on the Friday, they told me they would call on the Monday and give me a price and turn around time - needless to say they did not. I chased them after 2 weeks and was told it was the actual gauge which was faulty, but as they could not source a tapered gauge they had screw cut a new thread and were waiting for a new gauge - which miffed me they would do this without speaking to me, but I thought - too late now, just get it back and it will be done, it should not be noticeable - they still could not give me a price or timescale.

Another week passed - still no contact from them, I called again, it's now 3 weeks since I dropped it off, this time I'm told (by the same guy who works there but is not the gunsmith) that this is what they thought they were going to do, but they have actually got a gauge now, and are fitting it as they speak to me - that was Monday gone - still nothing 4 days later.

So tomorrow it's 4 weeks to fit a new external gauge to a pistol - they screw in , it's not even a 5 minuet job as there is no cover or stock etc. and not once have they lifted the phone to me, and I've had two different stories of what is happening. I just find them as poor as they were a few years ago and would advise anyone to carefully consider whether they are worth using, as every time I've tried them I've been fobbed off and lied to and never called back.

I'll be calling again tomorrow to voice my obvious displeasure at this, but expect it to fall on deaf ears as that is my experience with them to date.

James
    Last edited by Jesim1; 07-12-2017 at 10:32 PM.
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Join the club

Only get screwed once is a good rule.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    I spoke to the manager today and put across my experience and dismay at the way things have unravelled.

This was a simple gauge replacement which took 4 weeks, but along the way they gave me no communication and I was constantly chasing them and either being given the wrong information or none at all. I've been in retail my whole working life as a senior manager, and this should never have been allowed to get to the point of me feeling the way I do about something that is bread and butter to them - but they dropped the ball, and then continued to fumble it until I'd had enough - 4 phone calls over 4 weeks was my limit, and I genuinely believe it would still not be resolved if I had not taken it up a gear.

I was given several reasons/excuses why this happened - and if at any time the manager had called me and explained them I would have been understanding, but he didn't, and probably was not even aware of the situation in his defence.

I've been assured the pistol is being repaired today and will be sent to the Bolton store for collection from Saturday morning. Everyone had been pleasant, just not efficient or caring, a bit of customer service goes a long way, and equally customer neglect travels twice as fast and twice as far.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Well come to service 2017 and a lot of bad jobs done to guns it’s gun owner beware these days I’m afraid mike