Thread: Webley Senior .22 Date/Value

Webley Senior .22 Date/Value

Hey guys,

I've recently acquired a .22 Webley Senior from an old friend.
    I've read quite a few conflicting reports on the markings which help date the gun so I was hoping I could get some help here.

It has no knolling on the barrel and has the serial number S9876 above the trigger.
    These point to it being pre war, but there are no markings on the breach cap, which I'd expect from sources I've read.

Here's a link to some pics of the gun https://imgur.com/a/iV9u5

Any guesses on the value would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by W1nterman View Post
    Hey guys,

I've recently acquired a .22 Webley Senior from an old friend.
    I've read quite a few conflicting reports on the markings which help date the gun so I was hoping I could get some help here.

It has no knolling on the barrel and has the serial number S9876 above the trigger.
    These point to it being pre war, but there are no markings on the breach cap, which I'd expect from sources I've read.

Here's a link to some pics of the gun https://imgur.com/a/iV9u5

Any guesses on the value would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Definitely prewar from Dennis Hillers book his example of prewar had serial number S15864.

I'm sure that others more knowledgeable than me will provided a better opinion, but for starters : from memory the slant grip pre war senior was made from 1935/6 to 1939. Looking at the piccies I'd hazard a guess at £60 (maybe £80 on a good day) for the pistol based on condition shown. I'm sure that you'll get more pessimistic/optimistic prices suggested, but the only ones of interest to a seller are those offered by someone with serious intent to purchase.

Vic Thompson.

Your pistol is an early example of the pre-war Slant Grip Senior as Ser Nos for this model followed on from the Straight Grip model starting at S7000 in 1935, so I would date this pistol as 1935/1936. Webley replaced Ser Nos with Batch Nos after the war. so accurately dating post-war pistols became much more problematical.

Unfortunately, the condition lets it down, so £60-£80 would be about right for somebody just wanting an example or to shoot with cosmetic condition being of lesser importance.

Hope this helps.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 08-12-2017 at 04:57 PM.

I would agree with the above estimates, as, unfortunately, the pistol is not in collectable condition.