Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying guns you'll never use.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35

Buying guns you'll never use.

Hi all,

Who still buys guns you know will probably never get used after the initial plinking session soon after receiving it, only for it to be put in the cupboard with the other rifles you've always wanted and only dragged out when you feel guilty.

Typically I was doing a Google search for a certain rifle I've been after for some time (you know the one(and no it's not a 99 Tony)) and up pops one of it's older brothers I've always hankered after since they first came out and are no longer available new, the thing is I already have a version of it in my cupboard upstairs (but without the short barrel and silencer) which never gets used but the little sod is screaming at me to buy it but because it's in a gun shop up north I can't be arsed to go through the rigmarole of all the RFD transfer nonsense and to waste money on a rifle that will never get used.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I'm limited by cabinet space (and funds) so can't keep many at once. I love having different rifles though and do change around a fair bit.
    I only buy rifles I will use though.
    I think you're very tempted as you're not letting on which rifle
    B.A.S.C. member

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    Sometimes even though you may never use them it’s still worth it I believe. It may be in some cases they are being saved from being scrapped or an unknown fate or maybe that the price is just too good to turn down etc. Very often if you buy at the right price you can scratch that itch and enjoy owning them for a time and then sell them on if and when you fall out of love with them abit.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Hi all,

Who still buys guns you know will probably never get used after the initial plinking session soon after receiving it, only for it to be put in the cupboard with the other rifles you've always wanted and only dragged out when you feel guilty.

Typically I was doing a Google search for a certain rifle I've been after for some time (you know the one(and no it's not a 99 Tony)) and up pops one of it's older brothers I've always hankered after since they first came out and are no longer available new, the thing is I already have a version of it in my cupboard upstairs (but without the short barrel and silencer) which never gets used but the little sod is screaming at me to buy it but because it's in a gun shop up north I can't be arsed to go through the rigmarole of all the RFD transfer nonsense and to waste money on a rifle that will never get used.

Pete
    Pete, this is called collecting, and a lot of members on here have hundreds in their collections they never use. I would go as far as to say there are collectors with over 1000. I now have very few I never shoot, like the Crosman M1 carbine, the Diana Model 1 tinplate pistol and a couple of others, just kept them due to their excellent condition.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 08-12-2017 at 08:09 AM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Someone is starting to sound like my wife dithering over a pair of shoes or a handbag that she has seen on the Internet or in a magazine, making lame excuses won't get the dam gun. Think of your mental health get it bought call it your Christmas treat.

There is a limit to the number of guns you can use.

Luckily this does not apply to collectables.

Things are made to be used, if you're not going to use them then it was a waste of time, effort, money & resources to build them.
    Collecting utterly baffles me, you might as well just take a photo if all you do is look at them, & if locked away then they can't even be looked at.

It's called the joy of ownership - don't underestimate it.

Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    It's called the joy of ownership - don't underestimate it.
    Completely agree!! And if bought wisely an investment.

Quote Originally Posted by pjbingham View Post
    ....... if you buy at the right price
    If buying new, today is the right price because they will never sell at a lower price. Always remember, quality is never cheap.

I bought a Webley Jaguar simply for the fact that it was one of the first air rifles I had as a kid. Shot it at the range the day I bought it and it's sat tucked away ever since

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Things are made to be used, if you're not going to use them then it was a waste of time, effort, money & resources to build them.
    Collecting utterly baffles me, you might as well just take a photo if all you do is look at them, & if locked away then they can't even be looked at.
    Used postage stamps, buttons, tin cans, bottle tops, hair pins, snuff boxes, empty pellet tins, scent bottles, pebbles off the beach, its amazing what people collect. I have studied the human race for years in wonder how complex we are. If it gives you pleasure to own and look at something every now and then, why not ? As long as you can afford your hobby. One thing about collecting air guns you do eventually get your money back sometimes with a plus. I have given dozens of scrap rifles a whole new life for others to enjoy in the future long after I am gone, BSA's Webleys Crosmans Sheridans Benjamins Bahcos etc....

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 08-12-2017 at 01:22 PM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

a friends x girlfriend's step dad collects rifles and pistols . my mate got a s410 and Tx200hc from him . he has a stealth,s16 ,HW90, air arms prosport and around another 10 to 15 rifles and around 20 air pistols .some are rare from what he told my mate . he bought them new and sometimes never even shot them . they sit in a locked cabinet and only come out every so often to get a wipe down then put away again.

i asked if he would sell me the HW90 and the answer was "No"

he swapped a tig welder for the TX200hc and i'm not sure what he swapped him to get the S410.

he had a stirrup pump for the Pcp rifles and a chrono which was still taped up from the factory and never used .

my mate split up with the girlfriend so im not sure if he applied for an airgun license .

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    a friends x girlfriend's step dad collects rifles and pistols . my mate got a s410 and Tx200hc from him . he has a stealth,s16 ,HW90, air arms prosport and around another 10 to 15 rifles and around 20 air pistols .some are rare from what he told my mate . he bought them new and sometimes never even shot them . they sit in a locked cabinet and only come out every so often to get a wipe down then put away again.

i asked if he would sell me the HW90 and the answer was "No"

he swapped a tig welder for the TX200hc and i'm not sure what he swapped him to get the S410.

he had a stirrup pump for the Pcp rifles and a chrono which was still taped up from the factory and never used .

my mate split up with the girlfriend so im not sure if he applied for an airgun license .

That has got to be the best punchline of the year!

I want a BSA airsporter stutzen with open sights and a cobra sling
    It would be mounted on a fine set of royal red stag antlers which i also collect
    I have two muzzle loaders i bought from a very very nice chap who is a member of this forum they look stunning in my living room
    with a sabre i bought of an equally fine gent on here goes well with my collection of fine antiques
    Just beautiful things to look at in my rather sophisticated man cave
    Non of them will be used until the impending zombie apocolypse .