Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about buying a HW95

Thinking about buying a HW95

I'm thinking about one of these in .177. I tried a .22 at the club on Sunday and was amazed how smooth it was and apparantly this was how it came out of the box.
    Are they as smooth in .177?

Most, if not all springers are nicer in .22 95,s, fine rifles. They can be made to shoot nice in .177, BUT a 95 in .22, will always be that little sweeter.
    Last edited by Trumpetier; 08-12-2017 at 08:53 AM.

Mine is a .25 and its superb

In a comparable state of tune a .177 rifle is inherently less smooth than the same rifle in .22. There is no avoiding this simple fact but I'm sure you will find the 95 in .177 does a fantastic job. One tip I would pass on is to use a reasonably heavy muzzle weight rather than a moderator. The HW mod is great on a pcp but too light on a springer.The HW95 to me gives the right blend of weight, size and performance for a legal limit air rifle. I like it so much I have 3-.177, .20 and .22. I know .25 legal limit is gaining in popularity but for my money I will confine my use of .25 to FAC power levels.
    Last edited by Rapidnick; 08-12-2017 at 09:10 AM.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Yes the Hw 95 in .177 has a very smooth and easy action when breaking and loading,but has a lot of muzzle flip when firing over 10.5 ft/ lbs. The .22 is a lot nicer to shoot and just as easy to break and load. The Hw 98 is better still with shrouded barrel and adjustable cheek piece but a tad more exspensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    .177 is inherently less smooth than .22 but you will find the 95 in .177 does a fantastic job. One tip I would pass on is to use a reasonably heavy muzzle weight rather than a moderator. The HW mod is great on a pcp but too light on a springer.
    I got around this by fitting a Konceptus all steel screw on silencer

I use steel Parker Hale silencers on 95,s. They work well also

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    I got around this by fitting a Konceptus all steel screw on silencer
    Agreed. Weight at the front makes all the difference in the world.
    I use steel weights (made by Jonny Neate on here) or on my .177 95, I'm lucky to have a Venom Slimtech with extra brass inserts (as supplied with the Venom Hornet) but they all work really well in adding weight to the front to moderate any tendency to flip.

Quote Originally Posted by Waisted View Post
    Yes the Hw 95 in .177 has a very smooth and easy action when breaking and loading,but has a lot of muzzle flip when firing over 10.5 ft/ lbs. The .22 is a lot nicer to shoot and just as easy to break and load. The Hw 98 is better still with shrouded barrel and adjustable cheek piece but a tad more exspensive.
    I know what you mean about the 98. The stock is great but personally I don't like the shroud. It certainly adds weight at the front which is essential but just makes the rifle that bit too heavy. I want the extra weight right at the front not along the entire length of the barrel.

I have just had a look at the Konceptus moderators on their web site very well priced but what is the quality like and is their customer service trustable.

Thanks for all your advice everyone.
    Emma also had a go with the gun and liked it plus she found it easier to cock than my break barrel and the weight of the gun suited her.
    I think I need to try a standard .177 before I commit. The gun will be mainly for Emma to use as she feels she needs to stop using her pcp so much at the Boinger Bash.

Quote Originally Posted by Waisted View Post
    I have just had a look at the Konceptus moderators on their web site very well priced but what is the quality like and is their customer service trustable.
    I have bought about 4 moderators from them previously and all have been good quality and took about 7-10 days to deliver from order. They also do a 'glue on' steel silencer which works as well without the hassle of getting a 1/2" UNF thread on your barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
    Mine is a .25 and its superb

Very nice indeed!
    Have you left the internals standard or have you short stroked it by any chance?

I presume its sub 12 ft/lb?

Im looking at getting a 95 in .20 but will in the future source a .25 barrel as i would love to use .25 on my local rabbit population

In regards to muzzle flip on the .177 95 i have a theoben evolution vortex thats waiting to be paired up with a 95.

They have some weight in and the internals can be tinkered with.

The theoben mod is 15.9mm so a slight bit of the 16mm barrel will have to be reduced to fit but well worth the effort i think, looks great and serves a purpose

Quote Originally Posted by Lone wolf 2LI View Post
    In regards to muzzle flip on the .177 95 i have a theoben evolution vortex thats waiting to be paired up with a 95.

They have some weight in and the internals can be tinkered with.

The theoben mod is 15.9mm so a slight bit of the 16mm barrel will have to be reduced to fit but well worth the effort i think, looks great and serves a purpose
    I certainly wouldn't use one of these on a 95. It is rather large for its weight and I think doesn't look good on a 95 which suits something slim and heavy. As a moderator it is OK on a pcp and, as you say, can be considerably improved by changing the internal parts. It isn't worth it on a 95 where you want weight to calm muzzle flip rather than taming an air blast. Bear in mind that the bulk of the noise from a springer is not from the air blast but the mechanical noise of the piston slamming forward.
    By the way the 95 is good in .20 so I wish you luck when you get yours.