Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about buying a HW95

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Hi Gary
    If you're interested in. 177 buy a 98
    Pete

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    stop messing around with big heavy barrel weights and just add a tinbum short stroke nose 10mm will do nicely. job done
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I sorted my 95 in .20 by having the power dropped from 11.50 to 10.50.

I tried Nicks heavy silencer which helped muzzle flip a bit but not enough.

Nice gun to use now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    stop messing around with big heavy barrel weights and just add a tinbum short stroke nose 10mm will do nicely. job done
    If you can get an early one with the factory Barrel Weight - then as Jon says, add a tinbum short stroke 10mm nose - it will be rather good - from my perspective anyway

Cheers
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    Hi Gary
    If you're interested in. 177 buy a 98
    Hi Pete,

I think the 98 may be a little too heavy for Emma. She likes the FWB 124 (but after half an hour she says her arm aches) and is comparing it to the 95 which is easier to cock (she only had a dozen or so shots with it though).
    If we can find someone in the club with a 95 in .177 who will let us have a go we can then make an informed decision.
    Are you at the Bash in April? If so, we'll see you there.

They're lovely, Gary.

My (earlier barrel weight version) has a V-Mach kit and is very accurate and forgiving. As standard, it was pretty good, too. No twang and very well behaved. When I fitted the V-Mach kit it was 19 years old and still shooting sweetly, but I reckoned I owed it a refresh. Very accurate with a wide range of pellets, FTTs seem to be its favourite diet.

I think I've seen some shops advertising barrel weight versions again now?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    They're lovely, Gary.

My (earlier barrel weight version) has a V-Mach kit and is very accurate and forgiving. As standard, it was pretty good, too. No twang and very well behaved. When I fitted the V-Mach kit it was 19 years old and still shooting sweetly, but I reckoned I owed it a refresh. Very accurate with a wide range of pellets, FTTs seem to be its favourite diet.

I think I've seen some shops advertising barrel weight versions again now?
    Thanks Tony, that's certainly food for thought. That may well be the way to go. I just need to shoot one and make sure there's not a massive difference between the two calibres.

I think there's been a massive difference between every one I've shot, Gary.

To be honest, in factory trim and .177 cal. they're pretty harsh and snappy. And with the factory spring guide - twangy too.

I can't see a way to tame them very much, other than half a pound of thick grease & tight guides, requiring more spring and/or running pointlessly low power, like 9 ft/lbs.

But then that's probably the difference between what a skilled tuner can do -vs- what I can do.

The one I had in .22 was much nicer.

.22 is just a much easier prospect all round.

That's why .22 is a bullshitter's calibre.

[QUOTE=Rickenbacker;7388754]I think there's been a massive difference between every one I've shot, Gary.

To be honest, in factory trim and .177 cal. they're pretty harsh and snappy. And with the factory spring guide - twangy too.

I can't see a way to tame them very much, other than half a pound of thick grease & tight guides, requiring more spring and/or running pointlessly low power, like 9 ft/lbs.

But then that's probably the difference between what a skilled tuner can do -vs- what I can do.

The one I had in .22 was much nicer.

].22 is just a much easier prospect all round.

That's why .22 is a bullshitter's calibre. [/QUOTE

LOL

But there's truth in what Mr 'Backer says
    Last edited by CapitalBee; 09-12-2017 at 02:21 PM.

NewPaul is online now Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    I'm thinking about one of these in .177. I tried a .22 at the club on Sunday and was amazed how smooth it was and apparantly this was how it came out of the box.
    Are they as smooth in .177?
    I would be more worried about your post count Gary
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. Crosman Ratcher 2250XL .22 AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I think there's been a massive difference between every one I've shot, Gary.

short stroke it you muppet
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    short stroke it you muppet
    yep....or buy a Diana 34 ....much more accurate stock versus stock.
    Simple Delring guide in the 34 for 20 quid...will give you the same as a ahort stroked barrel weighted 95.

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    I would be more worried about your post count Gary
    It was a Devilish number wasn't it Paul.

Well, it's looking like I'm going to have to reacqaint myself with the larger calibre after nearly 40 years (next I'll be looking at .25).

I reckon the HW 95 is a gun that everybody should own. It is basically the modern equivalent of a Feinwerkbau Sport in my opinion. I have owned many over the years and have enjoyed every single one, in both calibres. I might even try a .20 version next year. Fantastic guns.
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    Hi Pete,

I think the 98 may be a little too heavy for Emma. She likes the FWB 124 (but after half an hour she says her arm aches) and is comparing it to the 95 which is easier to cock (she only had a dozen or so shots with it though).
    If we can find someone in the club with a 95 in .177 who will let us have a go we can then make an informed decision.
    Are you at the Bash in April? If so, we'll see you there.
    Yes Gary I will be there in April. I think Emma shot my short stroked 98 last time. The heavy barrel makes it the easiest of my full power springers to cock
    Pete