Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about buying a HW95

Don't let me put you off the .177 mind, Gary. It's more that whenever I work on them myself - they end up snappy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    short stroke it you muppet
    Alright, I'll try it (again) JB. Captain Bongo and his boss have been very supportive with replacing the parts I've already ruined, I must say.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    yep....or buy a Diana 34 ....much more accurate stock versus stock.
    Simple Delrin guide in the 34 for 20 quid...will give you the same as a ahort stroked barrel weighted 95.
    Aye maybe, but you can't get a nice stock for a Diana, Clarky. And I have two nice 95/98 stocks.

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    short stroke it you muppet
    Say what you think Jon
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Don't let me put you off the .177 mind, Gary. It's more that whenever I work on them myself - they end up snappy.

Alright, I'll try it (again) JB. Captain Bongo and his boss have been very supportive with replacing the parts I've already ruined, I must say.

Aye maybe, but you can't get a nice stock for a Diana, Clarky. And I have two nice 95/98 stocks.
    ok but take a look at the new Premium stock....its a beaut.

I've just seen a "Wonky Donkey" tuned Luxus k in .177 for sale that's only half an hour's drive away. This may be worth having a look at.
    Last edited by gtfreight; 09-12-2017 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    I've just seen a "Wonky Donkey" tuned Luxus k in .177 for sale that's only half an hour's drive away. This may be worth having a look at.
    I think I would be on that Very quickly - the ones that I have used from Mr Donkey have been as sweet as a sweet thing.....

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    defo - Dave will have shortened the stroke a bit, and it's probably about as well tuned as you are ever going to find.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Get on it like a tramp on a Kipper. I have a tuned 95 in .177 from SFS. One of my favourites. I imagine one of WD's will be as nice, if not better.

Like every other rifle the 95 benefits from some extra tuning work whether it be a short stroking or just putting in a decent spring and properly fitting guides. In my experience-and I admit to being a fan of the 95-the muzzle weights I now use have transformed the handling of the 95 especially in .177 and .20. I just wish someone had advised me of this fact earlier in my shooting life.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    I reckon the HW 95 is a gun that everybody should own. It is basically the modern equivalent of a Feinwerkbau Sport in my opinion. I have owned many over the years and have enjoyed every single one, in both calibres. I might even try a .20 version next year. Fantastic guns.
    Andy
    If you are ever down South Andy you would be welcome to try my .20. It is really nice and again an excellent compromise between .177 and .22.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Thanks for all your help everyone.
    I went to look at the WD this morning and after a couple of shots with it I knew it was coming home with me, I can't believe how smooth it is. It still has the seals that Dave Price placed on the cylinder to prove it hasn't been opened since he's worked on it (I hope I don't need to change the spring anytime soon).
    I'm off to the club in half an hour so some pellet testing is to be done. I know all guns are different but there any pellet these particularly like or dislike?

Thanks again,
    Gary.

You really cant go wrong with the ubiquitous JSB family: AA Fields, Exacts, Express or my own current favourite the Mosquito (although its probably just a re-stickered tin of Express.) H&N Field and Target trophy also have some fans as well. I can well remember about 20 years ago, a 95 each in .177 was all I could afford for my son and I. I dread to think how many rabbits we shot and how much lead we put down range. The more I think about the gun, the more I want another!

Thanks for the offer Nick! I would love to get down south and have a blast with your .20. Guns like the 95 remind me that simple and straightforward break barrel configurations are really all we need. There is something almost pure about cocking a break barrelled springer, thumbing in a pellet and taking aim. Maybe I am just reminiscing once again, I dont know. One thing is for sure in my own mind though, a properly fettled HW95 is a superb gun to use in the field.

Happy shooting!

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

my 95k tuned in 22 shoots spot on ,its got a barrel weight fitted instead of a silencer

I have just got back from the range with it (I didn't realise that I'd been there for 3 hours) and after trying several pellets, it's favourite is H&N FTTs followed by Superdomes.
    It is very smooth to shoot and I'm extremely pleased with it.
    I'll be at the Boinger in April and anyone who's there is welcome to have a play with it (as with any of my guns).

My .177 is not pellet fussy, but its favourites are FTT followed by boxed 7.9 Crosman Premiers.

Glad you're loving it, Gary. I bet it's absolutely lovely.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    My .177 is not pellet fussy, but its favourites are FTT followed by boxed 7.9 Crosman Premiers.

Glad you're loving it, Gary. I bet it's absolutely lovely.
    Hi Tony,

I've tried Bisley Prem's (ok, better at distance), AA Fields .4.51 (rubbish), Hobbys (ok), Exacts 4.51 (rubbish), Superdomes (good out to 35yds), H&n FTTs (1/4" @ 35yds and 1 and 1/2" @50yds). I must try the Premiers if I can find them.
    With it being short stroked it's a little harder to cock than the .22 one I tried at the club but this isn't an issue.
    See you in April.