Thread: FWB 65 Question

FWB 65 Question

I picked up this beautiful 65 recently and couldn't wait for it to arrive and shoot it. Well, when I got it I couldn't believe that it looked like brand new, even better than in the pictures, but the excitement soon ended.

No matter what I did, I couldn't get this pistol to shoot straight. I moved the target from 10 yards to 7 yards to try and figure it out. I was using JSB 7.33 pellets although I tried several others.

The previous owner had a scope rail put on it and while it was at the gunsmith he figured he'd have him do a complete tune on it. Not that it needed it,but figuring the age that the seals may be deteriorating so he's have everything done.

Anyway back to my situation. I noticed a lot of black residue in the breech area. I figured he must have put something there to protect the pistol because it wasn't used much and in the safe. Well, after cleaning it out I checked the barrel and sure enough the barrel had it too.

I cleaned the barrel and the accuracy improved dramatically but still not what this 65 is capable of . It would shoot good ( for me ) then start shooting bad again.

Then I noticed the black substance in the same area as before. Checked the barrel and sure enough,dirty barrel again. I cleaned both areas and it was shooting fine again.

I now watched this area closely and about every 25 or so rounds the build up started. The only thing I can imagine is that whoever tuned this pistol used way to much lubricant and upon firing it's coming out of the seal. Does this make and sense ?

As all of you know, these FWB rifles and pistols do not require a lot of lube but I think it's over lubed. What is your opinion of this situation.

"Thank You"

https://imgur.com/WSqN2TP

https://imgur.com/YYOkBc0

https://imgur.com/ttKaH2D
    Last edited by fsa46; 08-12-2017 at 08:50 PM.

The photos show a very nice example of this pistol, but the black residue does not seem right at all (maybe black moly grease?).

DM80 and BenelliB76 on here have good knowledge of serviceing the 65, you could pm them for general information.

HTH
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Yes, that looks absolutely beautiful.

And, yes, it sounds like someone has got a little carried away with lubrication. It will need to be stripped, de-greased and properly lubed to do this fantastic pistol justice.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!