Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which hw35 seal.

Which hw35 seal.

As above, I need to treat my old girl to a new piston seal and breach seal.
    Do I go for standard? Or something different?
    Opinions from those who have no doubt tried all permutations.
    Thanks.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    synth or leather ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Guessing it's an older, leather seal one?

Many would say to stick with the leather one to keep the more "classic" character.

Although Mick, T20's, idea of fitting a complete later piston with synthetic seal very much makes sense.

Some will also advise that, once you've converted a leather one to synthetic, they're nicer if you sleeve the transfer port down slightly.

Of the synthetic ones that I have personal experience of, the factory one and V-Mach ones are both excellent. Many do speak very highly of the Australian ones that are available, but I have no experience personally.

My old wardog '35's leather seal was shot. I ordered a new leather one from Knibbs (talking 9 years ago here) and a synthetic one with adaptor arrived - complete with larger than expected credit card receipt! But it does shoot very, very sweetly. Only doing about 7ft.lbs, so maybe a leaky breech. But as I have loads of others and only shoot this at short range with open sights, I might leave alone. The ultra-sweet cycle maybe a result of the "void effect".

Back in the early 80s I converted one to TR Robb PTFE seal. Very quick action, very accurate but the surge was horrific and the trigger finger didn't half sting after prolonged sessions!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

35 woes

Its not so much the seal you use but the fact that its compression parameters are all wrong...terrible might be a better statement.
    The leather seal merely gave some semblance of cushioning the thing down a bit when compared to modern synthetic replacements....fitting of a mdern seal without some major tuning will send it slammy.
    Last edited by clarky; 09-12-2017 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Guessing it's an older, leather seal one?

Many would say to stick with the leather one to keep the more "classic" character.

Although Mick, T20's, idea of fitting a complete later piston with synthetic seal very much makes sense.

Some will also advise that, once you've converted a leather one to synthetic, they're nicer if you sleeve the transfer port down slightly.

Of the synthetic ones that I have personal experience of, the factory one and V-Mach ones are both excellent. Many do speak very highly of the Australian ones that are available, but I have no experience personally.

My old wardog '35's leather seal was shot. I ordered a new leather one from Knibbs (talking 9 years ago here) and a synthetic one with adaptor arrived - complete with larger than expected credit card receipt! But it does shoot very, very sweetly. Only doing about 7ft.lbs, so maybe a leaky breech. But as I have loads of others and only shoot this at short range with open sights, I might leave alone. The ultra-sweet cycle maybe a result of the "void effect".

Back in the early 80s I converted one to TR Robb PTFE seal. Very quick action, very accurate but the surge was horrific and the trigger finger didn't half sting after prolonged sessions!
    Thanks for the in depth answer, but I forgot to say that it's already synthetic.
    I thought I had fixed the porous breach, but now not sure. I have reassembled and tried it - the results are the same, about 8ftlb.
    Tbh, I'm not sure it even had a leaky breach. My plan with this project was not to throw money at it, just do all I can without spending a penny!
    I think I'm going to get the new seals and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by charub View Post
    Thanks for the in depth answer, but I forgot to say that it's already synthetic.
    I thought I had fixed the porous breach, but now not sure. I have reassembled and tried it - the results are the same, about 8ftlb.
    Tbh, I'm not sure it even had a leaky breach. My plan with this project was not to throw money at it, just do all I can without spending a penny!
    It might need the transfer port sleeving down.

Jim wrote about this in one of his recent, excellent articles. And T20 and Jon Budd will be able to give you the scientific reasonings if they jump in.

New seals are always a good idea.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

It might need the transfer port sleeving down.

Jim wrote about this in one of his recent, excellent articles. And T20 and Jon Budd will be able to give you the scientific reasonings if they jump in.

New seals are always a good idea.
    This is good advice....the port was too big at 4.0 mm and needs to be sleeved down to a smaller, much argued about diameter of either 3.1mm or 2.8 mm...
    The big diameter of air gets out too quick in stock, before peak is achieved....in otherwords a whole load of wasted cylinder dimension for a BSA Meteor performance.
    Its further hampered by being too long in length but not much can be done about that.
    With a restricted port we can then achieve closer to peak and modern synthetic heads will then act similar to the leather one...
    PM if you need info on how to go about it....as power mods prob not allowed on open forum...
    Regardless it wont go post 12ftlbs anyway ....11 ftlbs and sweeter if lucky ..

Hi Dave
    Try one of Mr Popes FAC seals - It certainly works on mine.
    Its also got a 4mm TP, however its never been an issue - it shoots rather sweetly
    Come round and give it a try if you want?

Cheers Steve
    PS has the face of the cylinder in the breach seal been channelled by the barrel lock device?

I used an Aussie red seal in a project of mine. I found them oversize and whilst making for a mild shot cycle the fpe dropped. I now have it in my spares. Gratis if you want it to play with. I might have a spring also. Drop me a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    I used an Aussie red seal in a project of mine. I found them oversize and whilst making for a mild shot cycle the fpe dropped. I now have it in my spares. Gratis if you want it to play with. I might have a spring also. Drop me a pm.
    Thankyou, that's very kind - I will drop you a P.M

Quote Originally Posted by Weasle View Post
    Hi Dave
    Try one of Mr Popes FAC seals - It certainly works on mine.
    Its also got a 4mm TP, however its never been an issue - it shoots rather sweetly
    Come round and give it a try if you want?

Cheers Steve
    PS has the face of the cylinder in the breach seal been channelled by the barrel lock device?

Hi Steve,
    I have just measured and I have TP of about 2.9mm
    As you know Mr Pope is rather busy at the moment (any news?) BAR are showing as out of stock. I have not called Steve for almost a year now, as I don't want to bother him.

Next time I'm working in your area, I may take you up on your offer - even if we just catch up over a cuppa and chat about everything airgun!!

Hi Steve,
    I have just measured and I have TP of about 2.9mm
    As you know Mr Pope is rather busy at the moment (any news?) BAR are showing as out of stock. I have not called Steve for almost a year now, as I don't want to bother him.

Next time I'm working in your area, I may take you up on your offer - even if we just catch up over a cuppa and chat about everything airgun!!
    No Problems Dave - look forward to it.

Cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Weasle View Post
    No Problems Dave - look forward to it.

Cheers Steve
    The Boinger Bash is tailor made for fine boingery chaps like your good selves.

You'd love it and it'd be great to meet you.

Tony it would be great to attend....who knows?

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Tony,
    I have always wanted to, but they have always fallen on family events. When is the next one? I'll try to make it.
    ATB.