Thread: Old Airgunns

Old Airgunns

Hi guys
    Have an old underlever in .22 BSA Merlin and a little Gem can any one throw some light on these air rifles it would be much appreciated.

Welcome

To the best part of the best A/G forum. There are some very knowledgeable people here and they will tell all, if you add some photos...

Maybe best if you do some searching - there's lots of info around. Then post some pics as suggested.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagem View Post
    Hi guys
    Have an old underlever in .22 BSA Merlin and a little Gem can any one throw some light on these air rifles it would be much appreciated.
    The little Gem is a bit of a lettuce I'm afraid

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    The little Gem is a bit of a lettuce I'm afraid

Pete
    That's just the tip of the iceberg

But slugs like it (and vice versa).
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I'll reply 'Cos' I know a bit about it and the other members on here have all 'wilted' away.

Mk 1 BSA Merlin launched in 1962, and the MK2 Merlin was launched in 1964. Flawed design in that, the secondary cocking lever ran in a slot in the already weak and delicate wooden stock, so there were many breakages over time. The MK1 gun, has a nylon pellet transporter, incorporating the rear sight, and the MK2 gun, has an alloy transporter with a separate rear sight. I think they are delightful guns and far rarer than most people thing. Very tricky to find in good clean condition.

Mk1 guns 1962-1964

Mk2 guns 1964-1968

Lakey

Quote Originally Posted by Bagem View Post
    Hi guys
    Don't know much about the Merlin but I know a tiny bit about Gem's (not the kind your missus asks for Christmas!)

But first you must know that many different makers made GEM's. But they were first made in Germany in the late 1880s.

Without a picture of yours we cant really tell you much about it.

What calibre is it? (most were .177 but there are .22s and even .25(known as the heavy)).

What lever catch does it have? Mine configured so the rear sight is the button for the latch, others you may find will have a separate button, T bar, a metal latch ect.

Are there any makers marks?

don't worry if there is not, mine does not have any. What commonly happened was that a business would order some from a makers and put their own marks on them.

Can you see a serial number?

Normally found in the breech.

I seem to remember that there is a forum with what looks to be original brochure for these air guns. Garvin will have a link im sure.

Also is it a smoothbore or rifled?

Reason im asking is that most I have seen have been smoothbore. But there are rumors of rifled versions.

Jake