Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Things come to he who waits.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Oh, I like the look of that. Handsome like a race 'orse. A bolt you say? Hmm... mebbe I will look for one of these as well. Rocking-horse dung you say? Let me write to my Unobtanium dealer ...
    It will probably be cheaper to get a standard cylinder machined to accept a Challenger/later Merc breech bolt and nut.

I've just been down Pompey gunshop and retrieved said beast and I have to say it's not a bad little rifle, it's not been looked after very well, the stock has your typical scratches and wear and the blue has suffered with spots of rust which luckily have come off but it's not perfect (what does it take to rub an oily rag over the metal work after every time you use it), anyway as you all know I hate starting HW99 threads but I recon if BSA had kept this model going it would have been a pretty good rifle to challenge the sweet little 99 to a bit of fisty cuffs, the trigger is really crisp on this one, although it's not a proper two stager there's no creep on the first stage with a positive stop and lets off very predictably, not sure what's going on inside? if it's the same condition inside as it was outside then it's going to need work, although it doesn't actually twang or is as ruff cocking as I thought it was going to be, in fact it's pretty smooth, I've not chronoed it yet as the breech seal is shagged (although it's not puffing air out vertically) and obviously there is no wobbly barrel as the bolt does it's job as it should but the good thing about it is it's bloody light.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

A HW breech seal will do the job very nicely, Pete.

Sadly, my Wobblysport didn't arrive as I hoped it might today.

As and when I do get my mitts on it I'll evaluate and see if it's worth getting the jaws machined to accept a bolt. It all depends on whether I feel it'll be staying or not.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Things come to he who waits.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    It will probably be cheaper to get a standard cylinder machined to accept a Challenger/later Merc breech bolt and nut.

I've just been down Pompey gunshop and retrieved said beast and I have to say it's not a bad little rifle, it's not been looked after very well, the stock has your typical scratches and wear and the blue has suffered with spots of rust which luckily have come off but it's not perfect (what does it take to rub an oily rag over the metal work after every time you use it), anyway as you all know I hate starting HW99 threads but I recon if BSA had kept this model going it would have been a pretty good rifle to challenge the sweet little 99 to a bit of fisty cuffs, the trigger is really crisp on this one, although it's not a proper two stager there's no creep on the first stage with a positive stop and lets off very predictably, not sure what's going on inside? if it's the same condition inside as it was outside then it's going to need work, although it doesn't actually twang or is as ruff cocking as I thought it was going to be, in fact it's pretty smooth, I've not chronoed it yet as the breech seal is shagged (although it's not puffing air out vertically) and obviously there is no wobbly barrel as the bolt does it's job as it should but the good thing about it is it's bloody light.

Pete
    I had an early brum supersport with the same trigger, they can be improved by carefully polishing the sides of the sears & trigger cage & shimming the side play out with small nylon washers. mine was a .22 & grouped better than my 124 sport once I'd tuned the trigger but had a weird twisting torque untill I fitted a slip washer at each end of the mainspring.None of the lightnings I had through my hands even came close to that brummy supersport even after careful tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    I had an early brum supersport with the same trigger, they can be improved by carefully polishing the sides of the sears & trigger cage & shimming the side play out with small nylon washers. mine was a .22 & grouped better than my 124 sport once I'd tuned the trigger but had a weird twisting torque untill I fitted a slip washer at each end of the mainspring.None of the lightnings I had through my hands even came close to that brummy supersport even after careful tuning.
    I won't need to do anything to this trigger, I'm happy with it as it is, I've always loved the trigger on the Superstar and this is the very same trigger, the HW lovers will probably slag it down saying it's no were good as the Rekord unit but we all have our preferences and I feel this one is just as good.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post

Pete

Hi Pete

This is my mk2 Mercury (Standard) that was machined to take a Haenel pivot bolt, It was converted by a chap called Ed Bishop from darn Sarf, He made a few changes from standard including the shroud, adjustable butt pad and the stock refinish!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi Pete

This is my mk2 Mercury (Standard) that was machined to take a Haenel pivot bolt, It was converted by a chap called Ed Bishop from darn Sarf, He made a few changes from standard including the shroud, adjustable butt pad and the stock refinish!

John
    I remember you showing me this on my old Facebook page, I think using the proper BSA bolt keeps things looking tidy as it sits flush with the cylinder and it won't need the stock modifying either but what's been done to yours is better than the horrid pin

Pete