Thread: BSA Scorpion Pistol Problem

Question BSA Scorpion Pistol Problem

Broken Trigger Hammer
    Perennial question I suspect. I have a problem with an inherited BSA Scorpion Pistol - who doesn't. Before I take my files to a lump of steel, can anyone help with supply of a new Hammer, have tried the various vendors that come up with an internet search but all advise no longer available. The pistol was not in the best of conditions and I have replaced all the usual cylinder bits and a few parts in the trigger mechanism. The hammer had already been repaired once but failed again on third time of cocking. If I do have to resort to filing a new one I think I will adapt the profile slightly to try and improve longevity. Is there anyone out there that has, or knows someone who does, a surplus Trigger Hammer for Sale.
    Doesn't make the same noise, nor do the same damage, as many of the things I've played with in the past but it will be quite satisfying to have it back in working order given the family connection it has.
    Regards
    Ted

bsa scorpion problem

Hi the part you are after is now discontinued , GGGGR will be along shortly to explain fully,as he is the expert on this matter,good luck

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    To save me typing out loads, have a search on here and read a few things. This thing on youtube (no by me) is pretty ok https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE4IzjlcSLQ
    Dont be tempted to long stroke it as it can throw the little sear out of plonk.
    If the little sear is bent (hard to tell)--the trigger mech will probably cock off the gun but not on it. I assume your hammer is broken on the long leg? With the trigger mechanism off, you shold still be able to try setting the trigger by using a little screwdriver to pull the hammer back.
    Can I suggest a Mod moves this into collectable section?

I've just had an idea! I dont know if it would work but here goes.
    Make up a leg for the hammer and weld/ silver solder (If you have the stuff to do it or know someone who does) and put it on the left of the hammer and do away with the little spacer. If it drags on the housing, you can always file some of it away.
    Last edited by ggggr; 09-10-2020 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Idea!
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

BSA Scorpion Pistol Problem

Thanks for taking the time to come back to me guys, having read many posts on this forum before joining I knew there would be someone to come back. I had watched the video that ggggr suggested before I attempted the initial work, helped immensely. My Uncle, who previously owned the pistol, had already re welded the long arm of the hammer following a previous failure, as I said, it lasted for three shots before failing again. My thoughts are to file out a new part using a thicker section plate and either leaving out the spacer altogether or using a thinner one. I think there may also be some scope to change the profile slightly to add a little more "meat" to the weak point and not having to bend the item should also help. That said, I may need to fettle the area where the hammer interfaces with the safety pin. At the moment I am searching for a suitable piece of plate, it seems I might have thrown away a piece of 5mm stainless that would have done just nicely. perhaps will not happen next week but once done I will post the results.

Happy shooting.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by GrocerTed View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to come back to me guys, having read many posts on this forum before joining I knew there would be someone to come back. I had watched the video that ggggr suggested before I attempted the initial work, helped immensely. My Uncle, who previously owned the pistol, had already re welded the long arm of the hammer following a previous failure, as I said, it lasted for three shots before failing again. My thoughts are to file out a new part using a thicker section plate and either leaving out the spacer altogether or using a thinner one. I think there may also be some scope to change the profile slightly to add a little more "meat" to the weak point and not having to bend the item should also help. That said, I may need to fettle the area where the hammer interfaces with the safety pin. At the moment I am searching for a suitable piece of plate, it seems I might have thrown away a piece of 5mm stainless that would have done just nicely. perhaps will not happen next week but once done I will post the results.

Happy shooting.
    My suggestion ( And I said, I'm not sure if it will work) was to make a piece and weld/ silver solder it to the left of the hammer. If you make it out of a piece of flat bar and cut a section out , hopefully it will go to the right place without the need to bend it. Depending on how thick a piece you make it out of you may not need a spacer or may need a thinner one.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    worth letting protek know you are looking for a hammer.. they do have them occasionally...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Joking apart,if you're stuck consult a horologist perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by GrocerTed View Post
    Broken Trigger Hammer
    Perennial question I suspect. I have a problem with an inherited BSA Scorpion Pistol - who doesn't. Before I take my files to a lump of steel, can anyone help with supply of a new Hammer, have tried the various vendors that come up with an internet search but all advise no longer available. The pistol was not in the best of conditions and I have replaced all the usual cylinder bits and a few parts in the trigger mechanism. The hammer had already been repaired once but failed again on third time of cocking. If I do have to resort to filing a new one I think I will adapt the profile slightly to try and improve longevity. Is there anyone out there that has, or knows someone who does, a surplus Trigger Hammer for Sale.
    Doesn't make the same noise, nor do the same damage, as many of the things I've played with in the past but it will be quite satisfying to have it back in working order given the family connection it has.
    Regards
    Ted
    You have a PM.