Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun storage in bedrooms?

Gun storage in bedrooms?

Would you store guns in a bedroom where you sleep?

I'm wondering if corrosion could develop due to moist air caused by respiration at night.

Comments appreciated.
    TTFN
    N.
    "The only difference between Men and Boys is the price they pay for their Toys."

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by LewesNick View Post
    Would you store guns in a bedroom where you sleep?

I'm wondering if corrosion could develop due to moist air caused by respiration at night.

Comments appreciated.
    Unless you are breathing like a horse or your bedroom is off the 'normal scale' then no I cannot see it presenting any issues. most people have electronics in their bedroom that I would say are more susceptible to the issues you mention.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

I really wouldn't worry unless your house is riddled with damp or you have a leaking roof ect

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    I store mine in the bedroom. I use the impregnated gun socks for the rifles and I wrap up the pistols. If oiled up I don’t think it’s any worse than anywhere else in the house and proberbly notably better than the garage/shed or loft. My so called brother stores his air rifle on top of his gas boiler in the kitchen however it should be noted that he is the family ‘thicky’

Mine are in a gun cabinet in the bedroom with no problems.

my gun cabinet is in my bedroom and i have no issues . you can buy https://www.napieruk.com/acatalog/Su...tor-VP90_.html other places sell them also.

i have a few sheets of Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor Papers (V.C.I.) in my cabinet .

Primarily for ferrous metal protection these advanced products provide protection from corrosion due to moisture or moisture vapour. Goods packed in this way do not need to be in direct contact with the V.C.I. Paper.

not sure if is doing anything in my cabinet but its taking up any space so its staying in there .

you could even buy these from the forum sponsor https://www.jsramsbottom.com/product...reen-grey.html

Each of my guns is stored in their own case with a silica get pack in with them. I think as long as blued guns have been wiped over with an oiled cloth or silicone spray etc they should be fine. The gel packs are available on the bay that's not to be mentioned.

Looking at your avatar I would say keep your airguns in a locked concrete blockhouse far from your bedroom.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 10-12-2017 at 04:41 PM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Going against the trend here but I wouldn't have a gun cabinet in the bedroom. The bedroom can drop in temperature during the night and hopefully we're still breathing, increasing the relative humidity. I've a RH meter and it's noticeable that there's an increase in RH in the wee hours. However, I don't know if this would have any relevance relating to moisture on firearms. But as I've other places to situate the cabinets, I don't have it in the bedroom.

Get a RH meter from the bay or Amazon if you want to check. Although what you'd do with the RH info is a different story...

If the only place you can put the cabinet is the bedroom and you take the advice given above, then I wouldn't worry too much. But I would be making sure my Ballistol supplies were adequate to ensure there's a good film of protection on the metalwork.

Mmmm...I'm not that active in the bedroom nowadays, but, never had a problem with keeping it well oiled. There is a certain satisfaction knowing one is sleeping close to a thing of beauty that one is passionate about.....

creed Guest
    I suspect guns have been kept in bedrooms for years without any great problems. Central heating may have improved matters?
    Respiration should be reduced when sleeping anyway.
    Insulated lofts are probably worse.
    Silica gel pouches etc in the gun safe if you are really concerned?
    Sleep well.

bedroom

Hi. If your bedroom is reasonably warm and you have no mildew forming anywhere you should be Ok. Mildew will form very quickly if there is a damp atmosphere.
    As has been said a wipe over with a lightly oiled rag would stop rust forming anyway.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

I kept my guns in a safe attached to the wall in a toilet for many years, never had a problem. I must add that the toilet was separate from the bathroom.

just remember that whatever you do decide to use does not dry the moisture content of the wooden stocks out

How is it that no one has said I store my bed in the gun room oh Waite that's just me then