Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Best Webley Rifle made?

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post

Tommie could do 27 ft lbs. Funny enough had the same length cylinder as a Mach 1. Mach 1.5
    Going by the swept volume, I don't doubt it whatsoever, but given the weight, I'll bet the Tommy is simply appalling to shoot at that level in the same way that my Patriot back in the day, was imo dreadful at that level, and above (and the Patriot carried several extra lbs to absorb the extra recoil, too) ...

Being a 'once seasoned' F.A.C. rated recoiling air rifle shooter, as with my old F.A.C. rated .22 HW80K, my F.A.C. rated Theoben Eliminator in .20 (which I had happily set at 18ft.lb), and my aforementioned fettled 22ft.lb .25 F.A.C. Patriot, in my calculated opinion (although am the first to admit I have not actually shot one set to F.A.C. levels), I believe the F.A.C. Tommy needs to be set below 22ft.lb to give good accuracy, consistency, and smoothness of use (but what do I know )?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Going by the swept volume, I don't doubt it whatsoever, but given the weight, I'll bet the Tommy is simply appalling to shoot at that level in the same way that my Patriot back in the day, was imo dreadful at that level, and above (and the Patriot carried several extra lbs to absorb the extra recoil, too) ...

Being a 'once seasoned' F.A.C. rated recoiling air rifle shooter, as with my old F.A.C. rated .22 HW80K, my F.A.C. rated Theoben Eliminator in .20 (which I had happily set at 18ft.lb), and my aforementioned fettled 22ft.lb .25 F.A.C. Patriot, in my calculated opinion (although am the first to admit I have not actually shot one set to F.A.C. levels), I believe the F.A.C. Tommy needs to be set below 22ft.lb to give good accuracy, consistency, and smoothness of use (but what do I know )?
    What exactly is the stroke and bore of the Tommy? 27 ft/lb sounds a bit much for a .22 also is the TP long?

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    What exactly is the stroke and bore of the Tommy? 27 ft/lb sounds a bit much for a .22 also is the TP long?
    Just found the bore/stroke it's 27 mm bore and 100 mm stroke that's 57.2 cm about the same as the 80 and even the Diana 350 with 70.8 cm would really struggle to get 27 ft/ lb, and the patriot is 84.5 cm

Just found the bore/stroke it's 27 mm bore and 100 mm stroke that's 57.2 cm about the same as the 80 and even the Diana 350 with 70.8 cm would really struggle to get 27 ft/ lb, and the patriot is 84.5 cm
    Hi Barry, thanks for finding those stats, as supports my calculated best guess as to the Tommy's performance @ 27ft.lb based on my 'real time' experiences of owning and shooting an array of F.A.C. rated recoiling break-barrel air rifles: appreciated.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Good enough for me

Hi all,
    The Patriot has been called a bucket of spanners and worse but if you care to persevere and ACCEPT that with power comes some recoil it will shoot. If I can figure out to post a image (just signed up with Postimage).

Cheers a Merry Christmas to all
    pjinoz

Quote Originally Posted by pjinoz View Post

Hi all,
    The Patriot has been called a bucket of spanners and worse but if you care to persevere and ACCEPT that with power comes some recoil it will shoot. If I can figure out to post a image (just signed up with Postimage).

Cheers a Merry Christmas to all
    pjinoz
    That's why I have defended The Patriot throughout this thread -- although as a seasoned F.A.C. Recoiling air rifle shooter, do please heed my words well when I say Patriots sing best from the perspective of handling, accuracy, and consistency, set around the 22ft.lb mark (and yes, I have tried a Pat above 28ft.lb and it was/they are horrible at that). Atb: G.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    That's why I have defended The Patriot throughout this thread -- although as a seasoned F.A.C. Recoiling air rifle shooter, do please heed my words well when I say Patriots sing best from the perspective of handling, accuracy, and consistency, set around the 22ft.lb mark (and yes, I have tried a Pat above 28ft.lb and it was/they are horrible at that). Atb: G.
    How about this for the best webley, it might be the 37 ft/lbs one that was on video a few years ago.

How about this for the best webley, it might be the 37 ft/lbs one that was on video a few years ago.
    Hi Barry, think the 'Best Webley' question that kick-started this thread was with regard to factory spec production run models fresh from the box, only, so modded Patriots like the one you have kindly pictured, can't unfortunately, count (as pointed out by our I. J. a dozen or so posts ago, when I mooted including one that I once owned).

Two things regarding the modded Patriot you have shown pictures of above, however (a), what a good looking gun -- simply love the simplicity of the after market stock and bull-barrel (very AirArms break-barrel in look), but (b), looks to one side, as based on experience, the power level you detail leaves me cold.

For personally, I find break-barrel recoiling air rifles vile to shoot above, lets say (and let's also be generous, here) 25ft.lb, so I can not imagine ANY recoiling air rifle being anything other than horrible and pointless at 37ft.lb.

Further, even my beloved old F.A.C. Theoben Rapid .22 struggled with pellet skirts turning (which directly effects accuracy) above 34ft.lb, and ad into that mix an extra 3ft.lb of power plus the recoil of such a recoiling rifle (which at that level would be horrendous), and you end up with something so unfit for purpose that you'd do better chasing your quarry with it raised above your head as a club, rather than trying o shoot anything with it that was more than ten yards beyond the end of the barrel (lol).

Do note though, that all the above comments are my personal thoughts and observations only, and not die-cast facts.

Merry Christmas:
    Gareth W-B.

Last edited by Gareth W-B; 18-12-2017 at 01:10 PM. Reason: housekeeping.

Update on my previous comment; bought an Omega today for the princely sum of £90. Tried it a few times and feels pretty sweet, can't wait to give it a proper going over.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    lt's the service for me with all three cals ,177, .22, .25.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartcliffer View Post
    Update on my previous comment; bought an Omega today for the princely sum of £90. Tried it a few times and feels pretty sweet, can't wait to give it a proper going over.
    I was always a BSA fan (and still am to an extent up the mid/late 90s - Mercurys especially) but the more I see pictures and articles about them the Webley Omega keeps giving me a flash of its knickers and a wink of the eye. Definitely something quite nice about it.

Good look with the refurb.

Webley airwolf

Was the best rifle Webley never made. Not sure about the best rifle they actually did make, but the Venom era springers have to be up there, I suspect.

The only Webley I have ever owned was an Exocet Carbine.
    Bought it on the strength of a Magazine review, back when I used to trust people more.
    I bought it in .177.
    I shot about 20 pellets through it and then wiped it down with an oily rag and sold it a couple of days later.
    The trigger according to the magazine was designed by venom. I think they meant "with venom"
    The quality seemed all there, but, it just didn't feel good at all.

I'd try an Omega, at least I know about the Trigger on those.
    Dance like no one is watching.
    Sing like no one can hear.
    Scratch yourself like you think the zoom meeting has ended.

OK; tried to saty off this thread but in the end, couldn't resist!

Love all the later series Brum models; favourite being the Longbow and had (before rehab) 12 of them! Now down to 5 in various special guises (SWC in 0.177 and 0.22 - you now have my 20cal version!) and two with Cobra style fared in moderators and love 'em to bits; fit the SE or CS700 stock and you have a real belter; particularly with the stroke increased by 6mm! The Stingray Express is perhaps the best "take it with you just in case" rifle (you conned me out of mine Paul!) and love the Tommy specials like my V-Mach Cobra and Venom Sidewinder.

OK; none are as delivered but no earthe-shattering mods required to make then stand out!

OK; I bought an Omega since I missed it back in the day between collections but passed it on since I didn't think it desrved it's accolade!

Used to collect the Mk3's just for the variety in stocks; nice to have in the cabinet but no great shakes anywhere else; same for Mk2 Service!

atvb
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!