Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Webley Rifle made?

Best Webley Rifle made?

Having just received a lovely little Stingray for my .25cal project and it's a lovely little rifle!! But the best Webley Rifle made is.....the Longbow, Tommy then the Stingray...yep I will get shot down in flames by Omega fans and Vulcan fans but these are my top 3 webley rifles.. .4th Vulcan MK2 - 3, 5th Webley MK3. Mach 1.5

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I would dearly love a Webley to go in my "keeper" pile. I found a Brumbow in Solware a year or two back, it wasn't cheap and it fired like a metal bucket of bolts falling down stairs.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I think your order of preference is pretty much on the money, Paul.

I'd love to be able to place the Mark III higher, although I don't think I'd be able to place it higher than the Venomac influenced rifles.

I feel sorry for the Vulcan and Omega.....Both brought out as rivals to the "full power" German sporters. But I feel the Vulcan's breech pin and trigger let it down. And the Omega just a little too late (by about seven years), although a honourable attempt.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I think the Tomahawk & Longbow were the best rifles that Webley made since the Omega. The Tomahawk was 15 years later than the Omega so it ought to be better really. Much nicer trigger but no major advances in quality when comparing them both. The Vulcan isn't even in the running IMO.

One often overlooked is the Eclipse. The mk2 carbine was a very nicely balanced gun. Not sure is I can think of any other springer with an aluminium cylinder??

Cheers
    Greg

I'm with you guys.

The best non-custom Webley at 12 ft-lbs is the Longbow. Preferably walnut. At FAC levels, the Tomahawk.

Number two is the Tomahawk, ideally a factory short-stroked later model with the 13" LW barrel, in walnut.

I think the Omega (and its Patriot big brother in FAC) are about a tie with the Stingray/Xocet series. The latter ideally in the form of a Stingray Deluxe Carbine. (Anyone got one to sell? If so tell me after Xmas.)

The Mk3 is of course from a radically different time. It is lovely in most forms, and it compares well to other late 40s guns like the Diana 35 and 50, the BSFs, Falkes, Airsporter, the sporter version of the Anschutz Hakim, and contemporary HWs.

Never had an Eclipse, but like thegreg, have often thought the Mk2 carbine might be a good thing.

Honourable mention to the Vulcan, which by 1979 standards, and given its price, was a pretty attractive and up to date proposition, mostly let down by its breech bolt and trigger.

I have an Eclipse, Brum Raider 2 shot and Brumbow. The Brumbow is a lovely gun. Shame proper Webley went to the wall. Tracker for me is my favourite, had two in my time!!!!
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

The Tommy is my favourite followed very closely by the longbow,I still have my mk1 Vulcan that I bought 33 ish years ago.The Venomac influenced gun are very underrated in my opion, and can keep up with any thing out there and look better whilst doing it.
    Les..

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Longbow or Eclipse.
    Master Debater

Webley.

I do have a soft spot for the Vulcan MK1 having been my second rifle after my BSA Super meteor. Then I went to the sportsman in paignton in 1978 and the guy let me try a FWB Sport and a HW35E...evil man. Mach 1.5

only ever had one webley and it was an osprey . loved that rifle until the bits holding the trigger parts came away for the receiver.

Longbow

IM on the longbow vibe , have had 5 and kept 2 which are sidewinders compacts as good as hw 80 glided but a lot lighter

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    I do have a soft spot for the Vulcan MK1 having been my second rifle after my BSA Super meteor. Then I went to the sportsman in paignton in 1978 and the guy let me try a FWB Sport and a HW35E...evil man. Mach 1.5
    To be fair to Webley, the FWB Sport and HW35E (and from 1980/81 the HW80) cost a third to a half more than a Vulcan, so that comparison (which I remember doing and ending up with an FWB) was never completely fair. Though the base model HW35 was often priced right at Vulcan levels, and, objectively, a much better rifle.

Had Five Longbows ( including a Venom ) four Vulcan Deluxes ,Two tomahawks, three Mk 3s , two trackers , three omegas and three ospreys
    only got two now a Mk3 and an osprey both mint ( and I dont shoot either ) Nice to have though

The Best ( almost forgot the question ) The Tomahawks !

Don't know about best Webley rifle made, but it was the Webley Jaguar that started my life long interest in airguns. It was .177 and took many avian pest from my dads orchard, three apple trees and a plum tree,at the end of the garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    The Vulcan was the second rifle I bought after a super Meteor as well ,my Vulcan accounted for many rats, tin cans and glass bottles over the refuse dump that we used to shoot over.
    I also have a nice Omega that I haven't shot for a while.
    Les..