Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Best Webley Rifle made?

Best Webley Rifle made?

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Im not a Webley fan but I admit that I looked at this AD a fair bit, so IMO this is the best webley made

Dear sir, you have good taste! The .25 cal has some real wallop. Recoil? What recoil? Fire something like a .577 Nitro then you will understand recoil!

Cheers

pjinoz

Best Webley?

This thread needs more thought on my part before I post my opinion.
    I shall go through my various Webleys and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Have you ever fired a Patriot?
    Lol Like a bag of spanners

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by pjinoz View Post

Dear sir, you have good taste! The .25 cal has some real wallop. Recoil? What recoil? Fire something like a .577 Nitro then you will understand recoil!
    Yep, I had a .25 cal Patriot set to 22ft.lb on my F.A.C. back in the day, too. I got it off Baz (we were both forum MODS on here at that time).

Baz had dressed the stock in a pale blue laminate with glittery sparkles. Sounds terribly camp, I know, but trust me, it was a lovely rifle to look at, and to shoot. It was really smooth considering (thanks to Baz's fettling), but it did not make my list as per post #16 of this thread.

Had I included an F.A.C. Springer category in my post #16, however, obviously (as the Patriot was Webley's only production run F.A.C. Springer iirc), the Patriot would have been included lol.

Last edited by Gareth W-B; 16-12-2017 at 10:46 AM. Reason: coz I can ...

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Have you ever fired a Patriot?
    No but the advert does say for the discerning airgunner LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Yep, I had a .25 cal Patriot set to 22ft.lb on my F.A.C. back in the day, too. I got it off Baz (we were both forum MODS on here at that time).

Baz had dressed the stock in a pale blue laminate with glittery sparkles. Sounds terribly camp, I know, but trust me, it was a lovely rifle to look at, and to shoot. It was really smooth considering (thanks to Baz's fettling), but it did not make my list as per post #16 of this thread.
    Correct me if I am wrong, (and I often am), but I thought we were talking about 'run-of-the-mill', out the box models not tuned rifles.
    If that is the case I nominate the prototype Omega with the adjustable gas ram. I, and several people who have shot it, cannot understand why Webley never put it into production. Perhaps it had something to do with patents or the fact there was no safety catch fitted for the U.S. market.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    No but the advert does say for the discerning airgunner LOL.
    Moi!

I do admit I had to get someone else to cock it.

Correct me if I am wrong, (and I often am), but I thought we were talking about 'run-of-the-mill', out the box models not tuned rifles.
    Nope, you are on the money there Ian Old Bean, my mistake, but by default, the Patriot -- straight from the box -- still wins the title of best F.A.C. rated Webley springer.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Nope, you are on the money there Ian Old Bean, my mistake, but by default, the Patriot -- straight from the box -- still wins the title of best F.A.C. rated Webley springer.
    Tis true. I learnt from a very early age not to argue with the school teacher.

I would really like to hear from anyone who has compared the Patriot (near 30 ft-lbs in .25") with the shorter, lighter, better stocked FAC Tomahawk (up to 23 ft-lbs in .22").

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

I would really like to hear from anyone who has compared the Patriot (near 30 ft-lbs in .25") with the shorter, lighter, better stocked FAC Tomahawk (up to 23 ft-lbs in .22").
    My .25 Patriot was simply horrible to shoot above 28ft.lb -- I mean truly horrible -- but set at 22ft.lb as mine was, it proved to be a very nice and robust rifle indeed.

Didn't think the F.A.C. Tommy was a production run rifle though, but rather a special order rifle? Given the length of the swept volume of the Tommy however, in theory it screamed out to be set around the 20ft.lb mark (+/-), although due to the lack of weight the Tommy had/has compared to the Patriot -- and my old F.A.C. HW80K .22 come to that -- I would imagine that any Tommy set to exceed 18ft.lb would be rather unpleasant to shoot?

Tis true. I learnt from a very early age not to argue with the school teacher.
    Well done Jones. Take a house point.

Thanks, yep, WELL worth reading. I now want one (lol). As stated, I always thought the swept volume of the Tommy made it more akin to an F.A.C. application, and as the 'special' has been touched by Ivan, I can definitely see how it beats the mighty Patriot in standard guise both in looks and performance (providing it is left set at a max velocity of 22ft.lb ). Atb: G.

Webley

Tommie could do 27 ft lbs. Funny enough had the same length cylinder as a Mach 1. Mach 1.5