and its stablemates.

Most of the reviews and video reviews really rate it. There does seem to be a problem with velocity but I put that down to using the wrong pellets. If bbs in blowback guns only get about 350fps on a good day, then you can expect a lot less when using medium or even 7grn pellets. The answer would appear to be alloy, and I am sure Sig's velocity claims are based on the use of their own brand alloy pellet.

Others have questioned build quality and talked of magazine jams. One bloke had the end of the slide breaking off, but he did say he had bought the gun second hand. I would not buy a second hand co2 pistol unless I knew the owner. Watching video reviews I am surprised at how often in the space of 10 minutes or so, reviewers move the slide back and forwards, engage the slide release, remove and replace the magazine, press the trigger, etc. I suppose it's partly nervousness but I doubt repeatedly doing these things when there is no reason for them will not wear them down prematurely. I tend to look at replicas more than shoot them, so mine last a long time. Every so often I get them out and put them through their paces. 50 shots is often more than enough before I get bored.

So lots of good revews for the p226 but some claim the guns are rubbish, and you should not waste your money on them. I know other guns can get negative reviews but the Sig 226 stands out as one of the most liked and disliked pistols on the market.

What to believe?

I am certainly not tempted by the the P320, because of the method of pellet loading. Looks to me like something that is begging to go wrong, and replacement mags are exorbitant.

I would prefer the humble P250. Much simpler function. Two extra mags for not much more than 20 quid. And an inexpensive gun which has nice visual appeal.

In short I have decided to try one. As for the 226 I really don't know whether to risk it.