Thread: Don't know what to make of the Sig 226

Don't know what to make of the Sig 226

and its stablemates.

Most of the reviews and video reviews really rate it. There does seem to be a problem with velocity but I put that down to using the wrong pellets. If bbs in blowback guns only get about 350fps on a good day, then you can expect a lot less when using medium or even 7grn pellets. The answer would appear to be alloy, and I am sure Sig's velocity claims are based on the use of their own brand alloy pellet.

Others have questioned build quality and talked of magazine jams. One bloke had the end of the slide breaking off, but he did say he had bought the gun second hand. I would not buy a second hand co2 pistol unless I knew the owner. Watching video reviews I am surprised at how often in the space of 10 minutes or so, reviewers move the slide back and forwards, engage the slide release, remove and replace the magazine, press the trigger, etc. I suppose it's partly nervousness but I doubt repeatedly doing these things when there is no reason for them will not wear them down prematurely. I tend to look at replicas more than shoot them, so mine last a long time. Every so often I get them out and put them through their paces. 50 shots is often more than enough before I get bored.

So lots of good revews for the p226 but some claim the guns are rubbish, and you should not waste your money on them. I know other guns can get negative reviews but the Sig 226 stands out as one of the most liked and disliked pistols on the market.

What to believe?

I am certainly not tempted by the the P320, because of the method of pellet loading. Looks to me like something that is begging to go wrong, and replacement mags are exorbitant.

I would prefer the humble P250. Much simpler function. Two extra mags for not much more than 20 quid. And an inexpensive gun which has nice visual appeal.

In short I have decided to try one. As for the 226 I really don't know whether to risk it.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Hi Arthur,

The P250 has been discontinued but you may be able to find one in an obscure shop.

I prefer the P226 to the P320 as it seems more true to the original as well as being of substantial heft. I have brought mine to the club on several occasions and I usually attract a crowd, all wanting a go, so the pistol does attract interest. More to the point, people who have had a go were impressed and soon want another one as 8 shots don't last that long.

I like to use Excite flatheads as our club sells them cheap and they work reasonably well in the SIG. Velocity is not the advertised 480 FPS or thereabouts but at around 330 FPS in cold weather, it's not overly low either. The pellets group tighter than ball but land a little low left. I fitted a silencer to mine and this raised the point of impact to around 2 1/2 inches high, which means I can aim under the target with the silencer. I have not yet tried non lead but intend to the next time I go to the club as I have found some H&N FTT Green to use.

I've enjoyed using the P226 - it accepts the same mags as the P250. In fairness, the P320 is a nice pistol too but as the trigger has to manually index the belt mag before releasing the trigger, it is not as smooth as the P226. As the P320 has recently been adopted by the U.S. army as their new service pistol, I think we'll be hearing a lot more of this pistol and SIG's clone is a lot of fun to use. The mags do seem little flimsier that the P226's and can take ages to load with cold fingers!

At around £125 the P226 won't break the bank either.

Kind regards,

John

Thanks a lot for the reply John.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

The Sig 226 has some innovative features, looks quite good but it is of agricultural quality and rattles. Mine has proved very unreliable too. It fires a couple of shots then bangs and recoils but doesn’t fire a pellet. I then have to struggle to get the jammed magazine out, which involves pushing a cleaning rod down the barrel. It may be just the magazines, as the pellets just fall out of them. However, I have tried different makes of pellet, three magazines and a fresh co2 cylinder without achieving satisfactory results. So back it goes, to be replaced by the high quality Umarex Walther CP99 I should have bought in the first place.