Thread: Re finishing a laminate stock

Re finishing a laminate stock

What is used on them? Such as the ones on daystate models? Is it just linseed oil?

Laminate finish

I use Morrells, semi gloss finish, in a rattle can. Its a quick drying cellulose lacquer.http://www.morrells.co.uk/
    You want it fixed when??!

I use Danish oil, you can just use a couple of coats to get a semi satin finish or build up more to achieve more gloss.

I’ve used Morrells as well and it’s pretty good but you need a fair few coats as it goes on thin. I now use 2K automotive clear coat which I think is better in my opinion as it goes on thicker and is a tougher finish but you need a compressor and spray gun

Tip! don’t do it in cold weather , you get condensation in the paint/varnish layers and it makes the finish milky. If you in the garage warm it up a bit before you start.

All the best

Shaun

Quote Originally Posted by Doxbox View Post
    I use Morrells, semi gloss finish, in a rattle can. Its a quick drying cellulose lacquer.http://www.morrells.co.uk/
    is this it https://www./itm/Morrells-Nitrocellu...229&rmvSB=true

Quote Originally Posted by MAXMAN View Post
    I’ve used Morrells as well and it’s pretty good but you need a fair few coats as it goes on thin. I now use 2K automotive clear coat which I think is better in my opinion as it goes on thicker and is a tougher finish but you need a compressor and spray gun

Tip! don’t do it in cold weather , you get condensation in the paint/varnish layers and it makes the finish milky. If you in the garage warm it up a bit before you start.

All the best

Shaun

Hi Shaun with reference to the milky patches these can in some cases be buffed out with a liquid wax resin based polish I have done this many times to remove milky patches with ease , ideally don’t spray in those conditions as you say

Quote Originally Posted by 12/200 View Post
    Yup. Sand smooth. clean well. Nice warm dry area and put a couple of coats on. When dry( about 20 mins) give it a light rub all over with 0000 steel wool and rinse and repeat till satisfied with finish. Been using it for years.
    You want it fixed when??!

Thumbs up

You can use 2k spray from a can ....more like the original finish 😉👍
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive