Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hft ft hw77k vs hw77 97 question

Hft ft hw77k vs hw77 97 question

Im told the tx200 is more used than the hc on the completion side ov things,is it the same for hw77 97 ? Longer barrel less muzzle flip?

Hrm, possibly not quite as simple as that...

Some HFTers seem to prefer the fast action of the HC over the regular TX?

'77Ks don't seem to flip. '97Ks even less because of the steel muzzle brake?

For sure though - the longer ones are easier to cock.

Two different things in ft I don't think you have to do standing unsupported so full length is fine.
    Hft standing unsupported the tx HC is best in my opinion it's better than a 97 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dayglowfroggy View Post
    Two different things in ft I don't think you have to do standing unsupported so full length is fine.
    Hft standing unsupported the tx HC is best in my opinion it's better than a 97 as well.
    Yeah you do. All the lanes in FT including standers and kneelers are unsupported mate.

Re

Its never just simple isit?

It's a long time since I've used a 77 or 77k with one of the newer type stocks but IIRC even those stocks are still designed to allow the use of open sights. That suggests to me that the dedicated stock on the tx is probably better suited to hft with a scope. Of course you can always throw a 97 stock on a 77 to improve the eye alignment. Better still you could just do hft with the 77's open sights - great fun. I've used the 77 and 77k in hft. The longer version had slightly more inertia (which was good when you were over a target) but otherwise both seemed equally accurate and capable.
    Last edited by Lumberjack; 11-12-2017 at 11:13 PM.
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

HW 98, no flip, no drama. It is just an underrated gun.

A.G

Re

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    HW 98, no flip, no drama. It is just an underrated gun.

A.G
    Yeah I know I've got one

Mmm

Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
    It's a long time since I've used a 77 or 77k with one of the newer type stocks but IIRC even those stocks are still designed to allow the use of open sights. That suggests to me that the dedicated stock on the tx is probably better suited to hft with a scope. Of course you can always throw a 97 stock on a 77 to improve the eye alignment. Better still you could just do hft with the 77's open sights - great fun. I've used the 77 and 77k in hft. The longer version had slightly more inertia (which was good when you were over a target) but otherwise both seemed equally accurate and capable.
    Im itching foe a laminated 77 really.

On a standard 30 shot FT course there will be 4 standing shots and 2 kneeling shots, all unsupported (regional rules may vary)

On a UKAHFT course there with be one stander and one kneeler that are unsupported with another 2 kneelers supported and 2 standers supported.

On a masters course IIRC there are no supported shots.

The key would IMHO, be hold sensitivity which is more important when shooting HFT than FT. In FT 24 shots out of 30 will be in the sitting position so the same hold should apply, in HFT the variation of target positions will dictate that you'll need to adjust hold more.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

I have an HW77k, bought new by me around 1985. I love it. I have tried a standard 77 but much prefer my 77K even though I have an HW silencer on it. Mind you, I run my 77k in a 97 stock for the extra scope height.
    In contrast I have a TX200 standard length and prefer it over the HC version ... but I do not own the HC and have only shot one 'just to try' at a shoot.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by hotversion View Post
    The 77(77k) does it all. Scoped or open sights shooting. A variety of standard production run stocks that are fairly easy to source, including the original 'slim' stock, the latest 'chunkier' stock in plain or laminate wood, the 97 sporter or the thumbhole sporter in wood or plastic (so something to suit all tastes and shooting styles). Beyond that there's selection of custom stocks if your after something a bit different. I'm with Phil on this one though: an early k version (albeit mine wears its original stock). A lovely little rifle.
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

Come to the next bash & have a go on my full length 77 in forest green laminate if you like
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Unhappy re

Im going to try n get down if she lets me out.....

As a target gun, wouldn't a laminate '97 be a better choice?

If I remember right, there was a 97K blue laminate anniversary model, which had the silver STL action, but with a blued rather than silver cocking arm. And it came with a commemorative knife?

All squirrelled away by modern collectors, I dare say. I can't even find a picture of one now.