Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Its been a while....now about this pneumatic 2200?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    one in the last pic John is either a 766 a 2100/ 2200 from that angle I can't tell but would suspect a screen printed 2100/2200 by the plastic colour

Cheers Ped

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

i had the 766 and the 2200 in the 80s...both based on reading airgun articles.
    The first being David Lanes duck hunting article with a 766 that he had fitted out with a pump shotgun style stock.
    I was sold and bought one a month later.
    The gun was pretty good in .177 it must have been doing near on 800 fps for 11 or 12 pumps ...with no blow off mechanism at the time...
    Within a few months Lane ran another article with the 2200 but this time rabbiting...
    I had to have it and purchased it a month post article......talk about AGW advertising articles doing their trick lol....
    I had too much money back then ....no kids, no house, living free at home and 400 quid a week....and AGW had David Lane.....im damn sure airgun sales would double if he were still writing....His articles truly excited me....not a grain of truth in them but made fantastic reading ...as Did Lyntons....cut from the same cloth that saw Pigeons being taken at a measured 67 yards in one article.

I quickly grew disappointed in the 2 guns, mainly the horrible plastic breech bolt....i dreamed of making a steel one but never got onto it..
    Around the end of that year The Victory featured in another of Lanes Articles....yep bought it and flogged the 2 Crosmans to other youths.
    That Victory was finally everything Lane had said....

Interestingly the 760 with tiny pump tube wasnt bad.
    A friend had one and it seemed better made than the biguns somehow and v accurate ..
    The WHaley ...well what can i say ....Lynton old boy....i bought the bstard thing on the strength of your wood walking article and its 3 shot potential....it farted on the second shot and the pellet got stuck in the barrel.
    It later failed to shoot on the first shot and the front pin bent.
    It sure looked good but Mr Whaley ....i was gonna come hunting you boy.
    Last edited by clarky; 13-12-2017 at 09:39 PM.

Haha I am loving this thread. So many of us must have shared similar histories! The knowledge here is truly impressive-people altering/machining parts is inspiring to read. The pictures are awesome as well, the gun rack is a piece of history with the rifles of my teenage years in it....

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    "Least desirable gun of all time"?

the correct answer is IGI/Gun Toys "Panther" RO72. Christ, I own one of those. Why?
    That is not the correct answer. The RO71 from the same stable was worse.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

GGGR loves those RO models...always praising the craftsmanship and power.....

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    That is not the correct answer. The RO71 from the same stable was worse.
    I bloody well own one of those too.

The 71 is undoubtedly superior to the 72, while still reassuringly awful, because:

- cheaper, so you have wasted slightly less money on a piece of junk;

- on my example, a fixed rear sight, rather than the randomly self-adjusting "match" version on the 72, and I think some other 71s; so when you miss everything, you know it is not the fault of the sights;

- Zamak frame with simple plastic grip plates rather than a two-piece plastic grip assembly that cracks (screws) and breaks (trigger guard) if you look at it in the wrong way.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yup, the 72 really is the worst airgun ever. I swapped mine for a burger at one of Mick's bashes, and I felt a bit guilty I'd robbed the other guy
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.