Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley Service MKII

Webley Service MKII

Tomorrow I will see a Webley Service MKII with a .22 barrel, and hopefully buy it.
    On photos it appears to be in good condition, with nice patina and no signs of corrosion.
    I have asked the seller to give me the serial number, and it reads 13276 on the bottom of the barrel. I have also asked him to check the number on the action, but he hasn't replied yet. He might have overlooked it. Hopefully the numbers correspond. But to my knowledge there is usually a letter in front of the serial number?
    Does anyone know what the approximate production date/series would be of the Service Rifle in question?
    Many thanks, best regards, Louis

4th Series '37/'38 methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    4th Series '37/'38 methinks.
    Many thanks. Do you find that info in Christopher Thrale's book? I should get one :-)
    Cheers, Louis

mk2

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    Tomorrow I will see a Webley Service MKII with a .22 barrel, and hopefully buy it.
    On photos it appears to be in good condition, with nice patina and no signs of corrosion.
    I have asked the seller to give me the serial number, and it reads 13276 on the bottom of the barrel. I have also asked him to check the number on the action, but he hasn't replied yet. He might have overlooked it. Hopefully the numbers correspond. But to my knowledge there is usually a letter in front of the serial number?
    Does anyone know what the approximate production date/series would be of the Service Rifle in question?
    Many thanks, best regards, Louis
    The serial number on the barrel is nice if it matches the action but not always so. Serial no on the gun itself is on the back of the trigger guard, if they dont match its no big deal but slightly devalues a small amount.If the condition is ok with no missing sights etc.price is ok go for it.
    It would be interesting to know the price of said item. Regards Roly.

The letter prefixing the serial number on a Webley Mk.11 Service, is 'S'.
    Hope it's as good as you expect.

Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    The serial number on the barrel is nice if it matches the action but not always so. Serial no on the gun itself is on the back of the trigger guard, if they dont match its no big deal but slightly devalues a small amount.If the condition is ok with no missing sights etc.price is ok go for it.
    It would be interesting to know the price of said item. Regards Roly.
    Thank you Roly. I am full of anticipation. If I buy it, I shall post some photos in this thread. I actually fell in love with the gun only a few days ago, when I visited my former landlord in Okehampton, Devon. He had stored his Webley in the loft above my head and I had seen it once about a year ago, but decided that it wasn't very interesting. Things have luckily changed now; I asked him if I could see it again, and was amazed by the sheer ingenuity and quality of the gun. Unfortunately he is not going to sell it (yet); the emotional attachment and memories of hunting with it as a farmer in Derbyshire are too dear. Now I'm back in Holland, and a friend notified me of a good one for sale over here. The photos look promising. We'll see. No original casing or second barrel unfortunately. I'll let you know the price I paid tonight. Many thanks, Louis

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    The letter prefixing the serial number on a Webley Mk.11 Service, is 'S'.
    Hope it's as good as you expect.
    Thank you Troubleshooter. Good to know.

Just came back from buying the Service Rifle. It was a bit of a drive and I had a nice chat with the seller, who actually collects pre war firearms (but made an exception and also has two MK1's for sale and a few Webley air pistols). I paid 600 euros. A lot of money. I wanted the gun and a gun trader had made an offer of 550. So what could I do. Anyway, it is in good condition I would say. I will try to upload some photos tomorrow. This Christmas I shall be using it and testing it over the chrony. With the test shot at the seller's home, it did diesel quite a bit. I think it is over oiled, probably with the wrong lubricants. Apart from this, I am a very happy man. Can't recall being to happy and excited about a new gun in a long time. More to follow. Oh, by the way, not unimportant: the serial no.s of barrel and action do not correspond unfortunately. The action serial no. is S6313. I shall be buying the Webley book, but any idea what the approximate production date would be? Cheers, Louis

Glad you were able to purchase the rifle and you are happy with the price. The Service rifle was designed to diesel a bit if a few drops of Webley oil - (SAE30) - were applied as instructed.
    Any idea what he was asking for the Mk.1 rifles ?

[IMG]
    [/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][URL=http://s1027.photobucket.com/user/louisvanhovell/media/Screen%20Shot%202017-12-19%20at%2023.42.28_zpswo5sc8j8.png.html][IMG][/IMG]

The last picture is part of my collection. BSA's Superten, Ultra, Spitfire, Firebird, all blueprinted by John Bowkett, which is particularly good for the last two models. Also a FAC .25 FX Bobcat, and there will soon be a Titan Bearcat in .20 which is being serviced now. Next on my wishlist: the Webley MK3. There's one for sale over here in .177, in vgc, with an original period Webley scope (it looks like 20 objective) in the original white/orange box. Not sure if .177 is the right caliber for the gun though. I've heard that they are better in .22. We'll see. Need to sell some scopes first, as the girlfriend has got wind of the price of my newest acquisition. I'd love to own a Parker Hale Phoenix as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Glad you were able to purchase the rifle and you are happy with the price. The Service rifle was designed to diesel a bit if a few drops of Webley oil - (SAE30) - were applied as instructed.
    Any idea what he was asking for the Mk.1 rifles ?
    I asked him what he wants for the Mk.1 rifles. He was a bit vague; I think he's not sure yet, as it basically depends on how bad someone wants them. He did mention that he was hoping for 1200 euros... I'll pass on that. But let me know if you are interested, or would like to contact the seller to see if negotiation is possible. He's a decent man.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Curious to know why the guy only dealt with euros? Is there some part of Devon that has opted out of Brexit and formed its own republic?

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Curious to know why the guy only dealt with euros? Is there some part of Devon that has opted out of Brexit and formed its own republic?
    Sorry, I haven't change my location yet. I have just moved back from Devon to the Netherlands (live in Amsterdam now).

mk2

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    Just came back from buying the Service Rifle. It was a bit of a drive and I had a nice chat with the seller, who actually collects pre war firearms (but made an exception and also has two MK1's for sale and a few Webley air pistols). I paid 600 euros. A lot of money. I wanted the gun and a gun trader had made an offer of 550. So what could I do. Anyway, it is in good condition I would say. I will try to upload some photos tomorrow. This Christmas I shall be using it and testing it over the chrony. With the test shot at the seller's home, it did diesel quite a bit. I think it is over oiled, probably with the wrong lubricants. Apart from this, I am a very happy man. Can't recall being to happy and excited about a new gun in a long time. More to follow. Oh, by the way, not unimportant: the serial no.s of barrel and action do not correspond unfortunately. The action serial no. is S6313. I shall be buying the Webley book, but any idea what the approximate production date would be? Cheers, Louis
    The serial no 6313 is circa 1935/6 approx. MK2 Series 3.Mr Thrales Webley book on rifles and also Gordon Bruce book on Webley pistols are a
    must have for anybody with a interest in air guns. In ENgland £70 retail, but you can find cheaper on the net.
    Your mk2 looks to be in nice nick, dont keep it in the garage to gather rust. I have just acquired another one myself from a lady whose
    husband passed away some time ago.Ithink i am up to 11 or 12 of them now. Thats service mk2s, series 1/2/3/4. and one with the 3 barrel set .177/22/25.
    Regards Roly. P.S. A nice xmas present to yourself.