Thread: HW 30 S with synthetic stock

HW 30 S with synthetic stock

Well, having got carried away with choosing a .22 rimfire I totally overlooked the itch I had for one of these so I've put a deposit down at Pickering Guns for one of only two coming into stock. Should be in my mits second week in January, in .177

Excellent. Enjoy.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Be interesting to hear what the finish is like and how you get on with it !
    “An airgun or two”………

Great little rifles that are well under rated. Several of our gun club members have them and use them for fun in the 10m range (with sports peep sights) where they can hold their own against rifles costing twice as much.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Great little rifles that are well under rated. Several of our gun club members have them and use them for fun in the 10m range (with sports peep sights) where they can hold their own against rifles costing twice as much.

ATB
    Ian
    Not when Im using one Ian, and thats me not the rifle. Great little rifles for sure

I'll do a review when I have a chance to scope it up and put a couple of hundred pellets through, especially the stock area.

I managed to get to the gunshop earlier than I thought and collected it last week. I have to say that from the off it shoots and handles really nice, (.177), I have a couple of other 30S's and this one seems a lot smoother than they were, straight out of the box, but that's not to say the others are/were rough in any way.

I removed the foresight blade and fitted a Hawke Panorama 3-9x40 ao, yes it's a bit big but it's just for now

Okay, to the stock. I've not seen or handled many synthetics but to me this one seems very good. Yes, there is a seam line running round each half but it is very fine and you do need to look for it. The main areas have a very finely textured non reflective finish and the parts that are actually handled, ie the pistol grip, cheekpiece/comb, and forend grips have a stippled effect and the fit and finish to the action is very accurate. The butpad is a hard'ish black rubber, not rockhard but neither soft.

A couple of things, the comb, as it appears in photos, looks to be higher than the wood version but this is not so. In actual fact, the synthetic does not follow the wood's outlines exactly so the higher comb is a visual trick. Secondly, the forend grips are triangular in shape, well they actually look like a toblerone cut down the middle along its length but that's simply a descriptive comparison, they do actually feel good.

So, all in all I am more than extremely happy with it and I'm glad that I got it.