View Poll Results: Does shortening a choked barrel affect accuracy?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES it does affect accuracy.

5 15.15%
  • NO it'll still shoot straight without it.

22 66.67%
  • Pie.

6 18.18%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Choke removal and accuracy.

Crown

I have just fitted another barrel that had been cut down to remove the aggressive choke, I did push a few pellets through and it took a good push to clear choke and the pellets were scarred and deformed badly and it didn't shoot well, so off with its head and a recrown done, I used it saturday and gained nearly 40fps and it was soon punching some impressive holes at the range, I did a pellet test before any work as I was searching for a pellet, best 50yd card was 60mm 12 shot group, now I twice landed all 12 on to a 20mm black dot.

That was my mk1 rapid .22, and I was also tinkering with my mk2 .177 and tried another recently machined LW AA barrel, choke was really soft and I could just feel it as I pushed a pellet through leaving faint marks on skirts mainly so left that alone, found it to be a bit pellet fussy only really liking soft/light pellets like jsb express and FAPs all landing inside a 10mm hole, I may polish choke away a touch or even trim it off and see if it changes

I was also playing around with an antibounce hammer thingy so all in it was a fun day

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    I have no real trouble believing all the comments made on here so far but wonder if there is anyone willing to conduct a small experiment?
    With your choked rifle, shoot 10 x 10 shot groups at say 30 yards, preferably bench rested to get the best accuracy and consistent conditions. Do this with maybe 5 different pellet makes. Record the individual pellet strike parameters for each 10 shot group as mm displacement from the 'bull point'.
    Now remove the choke on your rifle and repeat the process.
    It would then be possible to analyse the data obtained to see if there was a difference between the choked and unchoked barrels and whether the results were consistent over different pellet makes. Proper statistical analysis would be important. I think using different pellet makes is important as removing a choke may well influence individual pellet make performance more than other makes. But this is only my thought; I have no evidence.
    Of course, such an experiment will not settle the debate in its entirety but may well give at least a preliminary insight to what can happen.
    Cheers, Phil
    This ^^would be a most valid method of comparison .....

Re .
    the barrels that have had their chokes removed due to poor performance and have shown improvements........

What was the condition of the original crown on these barrels ? Was a re crown tried before the choke was removed ?

Clearly the crown would have had to be re made when the barrel was shortened . Is it possible that the improvement to the barrels performance was due to the new crown rather than the removal of the choke .

Crowns are funny .......some factory results are pretty un impressive ...others much better .

What I'm saying is ..just because you begin with a factory crown does not necessarily mean it is good , and almost certainly a re crown will be created diffrently to the factory offering.

Assuming you are talking about dispersion (group size), as the presence or not of a choke will by definition have no affect on accuracy, then the answer to your question will depend entirely on the pellet/barrel fit and the bore consistency of the rifle being modified. If the barrel bore is consistent and the pellet fit is good then removing the choke will make little or no difference. If the bore is not consistent or the pellet fit is not perfect then removing the choke will make a difference. So there is no single answer to the question.

The type of powerplant, calibre and power level also seem to play a part

I've recently chopped 4" from an AA400 barrel to convert it from a standard to carbine along with a carbine air cylinder. Was going to go from the breech end but went from the muzzle as it's a decent LW barrel and decided I didn't want to disturb the breech end set up. The choke was only in the last inch or so. After facing and recrowning then testing it at the range it's fine, no loss of accuracy, as good if not better than before but that could be down to the carbine suiting me better.
    Last edited by bezzer; 05-02-2018 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bezzer View Post
    I've recently chopped 4" from an AA400 barrel to convert it from a standard to carbine along with a carbine air cylinder. Was going to go from the breech end but went from the muzzle as it's a decent LW barrel and decided I didn't want to disturb the breech end set up. The choke was only in the last inch or so. After facing and recrowning then testing it at the range it's fine, no loss of accuracy, as good if not better than before but that could be down to the carbine suiting me better.
    You dont state what calibre the 400 was.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    You dont state what calibre the 400 was.
    It's a .177

Has any one asked the barrel makers why they make ones with chokes and others without a choke ? They may tell the reason behind it .

From lothar walther

Barrel blanks for air gun
    made from special rifle steel tubes with standard profile or polygon profile.

Some calibres are now also available in stainless steel.

Technical specifications:
    For the highest accuracy possible, the barrel blanks come with choke, that means a narrowing of the land-groove-diameter up to 0,05 mm at the muzzle.