View Poll Results: Does shortening a choked barrel affect accuracy?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES it does affect accuracy.

5 15.15%
  • NO it'll still shoot straight without it.

22 66.67%
  • Pie.

6 18.18%

Thread: Choke removal and accuracy.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

Choke removal and accuracy.

Hi all,

Right then there was a little discussion about this on another thread awhile ago but I can't really remember what the outcome was, so let's put this one to bed.

So does shortening a choked barrel (and removing the choke) really affect accuracy or not?

Your thoughts Gentlemen and Tony

I'll also chuck in a poll so we can see the results clearer.

Pete
    Last edited by look no hands; 12-12-2017 at 06:55 PM.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

An impossible question to answer without further information. In some cases, yes, otherwise no, and as a generalisation I'd say that more barrels perform better without chokes than those with.

Why is a choke necessary when thousands (or more) Barrels perform really well without one (and that includes Barrels of many different lengths) ?

JMHO, offering a Barrel with a choke is just a selling point,

Vic Thompson.

Ive got barrels that have had the choke removed and they shoot great, Ive got one or two choked barrels than can near match their accuracy, so Id say its down to a good or bad choke, BigAl is the guy to ask

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin
    From my experience in searching for the holy grail of barrels (on my 3rd) I found that the crown and how true the bore is seems to have more effect.
    I had a barrel that was not concentric at all through the bore, but when the crown was tidied up it shot well.
    Also had another where the end was chopped off at the muzzle and it also shot very well after a re crown.
    I now have a LW made to my spec with minimal choke added and a well machined crown and it is positively epic!
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF

I've shortened many barrels over the years (on springers) and experienced no loss in accuracy.
    B.A.S.C. member

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    I've shortened many barrels over the years (on springers) and experienced no loss in accuracy.
    Silly question but where these barrels with chokes?

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Weihrauch and Diana barrels. The last time the subject of choked barrels came up regarding HW, I was informed all HW barrels are choked.
    I've shortened HW80 barrels to 10" without losing accuracy.
    B.A.S.C. member