View Poll Results: Does shortening a choked barrel affect accuracy?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES it does affect accuracy.

5 15.15%
  • NO it'll still shoot straight without it.

22 66.67%
  • Pie.

6 18.18%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Choke removal and accuracy.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

Choke removal and accuracy.

Hi all,

Right then there was a little discussion about this on another thread awhile ago but I can't really remember what the outcome was, so let's put this one to bed.

So does shortening a choked barrel (and removing the choke) really affect accuracy or not?

Your thoughts Gentlemen and Tony

I'll also chuck in a poll so we can see the results clearer.

Pete
    Last edited by look no hands; 12-12-2017 at 06:55 PM.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

An impossible question to answer without further information. In some cases, yes, otherwise no, and as a generalisation I'd say that more barrels perform better without chokes than those with.

Why is a choke necessary when thousands (or more) Barrels perform really well without one (and that includes Barrels of many different lengths) ?

JMHO, offering a Barrel with a choke is just a selling point,

Vic Thompson.

Ive got barrels that have had the choke removed and they shoot great, Ive got one or two choked barrels than can near match their accuracy, so Id say its down to a good or bad choke, BigAl is the guy to ask

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin
    From my experience in searching for the holy grail of barrels (on my 3rd) I found that the crown and how true the bore is seems to have more effect.
    I had a barrel that was not concentric at all through the bore, but when the crown was tidied up it shot well.
    Also had another where the end was chopped off at the muzzle and it also shot very well after a re crown.
    I now have a LW made to my spec with minimal choke added and a well machined crown and it is positively epic!
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF

I've shortened many barrels over the years (on springers) and experienced no loss in accuracy.
    B.A.S.C. member

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    I've shortened many barrels over the years (on springers) and experienced no loss in accuracy.
    Silly question but where these barrels with chokes?

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Weihrauch and Diana barrels. The last time the subject of choked barrels came up regarding HW, I was informed all HW barrels are choked.
    I've shortened HW80 barrels to 10" without losing accuracy.
    B.A.S.C. member

It's impossible to say unless people come up with a before and after with actual photos. Anything else is no better than asking a bloke down the pub.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    It's impossible to say unless people come up with a before and after with actual photos. Anything else is no better than asking a bloke down the pub.
    No chance of any pics of mine. I was doing this before computers were mainstream and digital cameras were only seen on star trek.
    It may be impossible for you to say if you haven't done it. Others have.
    B.A.S.C. member

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    It just depends how good and consistent the bore is. If it's decent, then it'll probably be fine, and could even improve. If it has tight spots, or a tight breach, such that the muzzle is loose, it'll be crap.

Pushing a pellet very slowly through with a rod may be insightful Chopping at a tight point is also a good idea.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Ive got a few pics of pellet tests before and after and the pellets pushed through but cant attach, and then youd have "their not true" comments

First hand experience here though and I can genuinley say Ive only ever seen improved grouping when Ive had the choke removed, and more often than not the barrel seems less pellet fussy, as above push a pellet through and feel tight/loose spots and how restrictive the choke is and take a look at your pellet.

Ive bought barrel blanks for projects and allways without choke, never had any issues. There are also choked barrels that shoot well of course, to me the choke is there to stabilise pellet before it leaves, why should it be unstable ?

Obviously when trimming a barrel down a new crown must be cut of course...
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Quote Originally Posted by 32:1 View Post
    Ive got a few pics of pellet tests before and after and the pellets pushed through but cant attach, and then youd have "their not true" comments

First hand experience here though and I can genuinley say Ive only ever seen improved grouping when Ive had the choke removed, and more often than not the barrel seems less pellet fussy, as above push a pellet through and feel tight/loose spots and how restrictive the choke is and take a look at your pellet.

Ive bought barrel blanks for projects and allways without choke, never had any issues. There are also choked barrels that shoot well of course, to me the choke is there to stabilise pellet before it leaves, why should it be unstable ?

Obviously when trimming a barrel down a new crown must be cut of course...
    I'd prefer to see groups. Pushing a pellet through doesn't mean much.

What's the baseline group and at what range?

I'd prefer to see groups. Pushing a pellet through doesn't mean much.

What's the baseline group and at what range?
    Not being picky here Rob, but have you got any first hand experience to contradict what either Chris or I have stated about no loss of accuracy when removing chokes ?
    We've both stated our findings yet you seem to be questioning them because you "think" what we're saying is wrong.
    If you do have any actual experience of losing accuracy when removing a choke,would you have any info, pics etc to show ?
    That would be more useful to the OP.

On subjects like this, facts often seem to get over ruled by theory and opinion. Something that probably limits responses from those who do have the experience as they get criticised by those who dont.

Pete, looks like you'll have to chop a barrel and see for yourself.
    Last edited by robs5230; 13-12-2017 at 10:28 AM.
    B.A.S.C. member

It's not something that I've ever done, so can't comment and, as has been said, would have to be verified with measured before and after results.

My guess would be that having a choke introduces consistency in barrels where the measurements elsewhere in the bore are less than perfect / ideal?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Not being picky here Rob, but have you got any first hand experience to contradict what either Chris or I have stated about no loss of accuracy when removing chokes ?
    We've both stated our findings yet you seem to be questioning them because you "think" what we're saying is wrong.
    If you do have any actual experience of losing accuracy when removing a choke,would you have any info, pics etc to show ?
    That would be more useful to the OP.

On subjects like this, facts often seem to get over ruled by theory and opinion. Something that probably limits responses from those who do have the experience as they get criticised by those who dont.

Pete, looks like you'll have to chop a barrel and see for yourself.
    Lol, love to see it when you are being picky . Be as picky as you like. This is about establishing facts and knowledge. Where's the harm in that?

Yes I have tested choked and non choked barrels, and I've selected choked. Yes I've got pictures of the groups that the choked barrels shoot for reference. I haven't kept the ones that weren't as good as there doesn't seem to be a point to doing that. But next time I can.

I'm asking for the evidence to support such statements. That's all.

Pushing a pellet though a barrel tells you nothing. Or ok, what does it tell you when you look at a pellet? Its got rifling marks? Yep.

So what I'm asking for is a baseline to draw conclusions from. On subjects like this, facts often seem to get swamped by people just saying things without any qualification. "Groups are better"... better than what? If you've got a group that's 2" wide at 25 yards then improving on it isn't that much of a trick and could even suggest a fault with the crown.

We had all this with the smooth twist barrels. I think it took about 2 years to find a single group picture of a .177 12ft-lb despite the threads on the subjects being awash with opinion that they were brilliant and despite competitions of any nature using 12ft-lb being a desert of anyone using them.

Here's a start on the baseline though, not sure if you can see these, the last image... (i thought attachments were working here but seems not)

https://shooting-the-breeze.com/thre...d.18696/page-4

I did neglect to note the amount of shots on that last image. It won't be less than 5. I believe its 10, but that's obviously not a definite fact, so work on it being 5+.

So is a unchoked barrel as good as that? My experience says not. I have access to barrels so can test it with group pics if you like in the future. Maybe you can do some shots with yours and see what you come up with