Thread: Advice wanted on this bit of Webley literature

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

Advice wanted on this bit of Webley literature

While sorting out a mess of old papers I came across this Webley booklet that I picked up years ago and then forgot all about: https://imgur.com/a/Nugt3 Does anyone know anything about it? Is it rare ? collectable? Have any value?

It dates from 1953 and is in pretty good nick for a 64 year old. It only has three pages covering airguns so I doubt it would be of any great interest to airgun collectors, but suppose it might appeal to keen Webleyophiles

Not one that I've seen before (FWTW), but it looks in too good a condition to be true. Having said that, if it was a repro, there'd be a flurry of others to follow it, which obviously there isn't. Based on a sample of one opinion (mine), it's an unusual find (if not rare), collectable in some quarters, but possibly with not too much value (as IMHO value is only an important quantity when based on the highest offer received from someone with a keen interest in purchasing said item).

I'd guess at £10 but I'm always prepared to be shot down by higher estimates from (serious) potential buyers.

JMHO, Vic Thompson.

Hi John,

This was a brief history of Webley, written by then Company Secretary Eric Bewley. It's an interesting read and value is probably around £10 - £20.

Kind regards,

John

If that's original, it's in great nick. And it does look like something from that period.

I suspect serious Webley collectors would pay a lot more than a tenner for it. They are a bit odd like that.

Paging John M.

Thanks for your comments. As to the booklet’s originality that raises some interesting points. I am 100% sure it is authentic because I know I have certainly had it for more than 30 years, and back then colour digital printing was unheard of. Also, the cover is embossed in gold, something that would have been very difficult to emulate. Finally, I gave it the ultraviolet test, using another Webley booklet which is definitely a reproduction for comparison. This picture https://imgur.com/a/CGYRV shows the two booklets under normal light , and this picture https://imgur.com/a/Ronca shows them under uv light. The blue fluorescence from the reproduction proves it was printed after about 1955, whereas the complete absence of blue from the authentic one is consistent with it being printed on pre-1955 paper.

Given the authenticity of the booklet and its good condition I think that upper estimate of £20 would be more likely. Perhaps, as it is obviously much rarer than a green or orange Webley pellet tin which regularly fetch about £20, it might be worth a bit more to someone who collects Webley literature?

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    While sorting out a mess of old papers I came across this Webley booklet that I picked up years ago and then forgot all about: https://imgur.com/a/Nugt3 Does anyone know anything about it? Is it rare ? collectable? Have any value?

It dates from 1953 and is in pretty good nick for a 64 year old. It only has three pages covering airguns so I doubt it would be of any great interest to airgun collectors, but suppose it might appeal to keen Webleyophiles
    Hello John,

I have the 1968 (2nd Edition) of the booklet which I picked up a year or so ago for £6.

As you say, not much reference to air guns, but a nice potted history of the company and its products.

Regards
    Brian

Although the original 36 page 1953 version is far more preferable to 'Webleyophiles', I like that word , a 31 page facsimile was produced by Design Publications in the USA with a differently illustrated cover.
    The 44 page 1968 version is similar in content to the earlier version, with very little information on Air Weapons.

Thanks Brian and David for your input.

For me the most interesting bit of the booklet was the description of Philip Webley’s indenture contract of 1827, when at the age of 14 he was apprenticed to a gun lock filer in Birmingham . For seven years he had to work a 13 hour day, 6 days a week for the princely sum of 5 shillings (25 p) a week, rising 5p a year until he was 21. He was forbidden from gaming and cards, or frequenting ale houses, and there was no sick pay. One of my grandkids is looking into apprenticeships at the moment, and things have changed somewhat!
    The reason for my interest is that I have the original indenture papers for my great grandfather, who was also apprenticed to a gun percussioner in Birmingham in 1858. https://imgur.com/a/iGX7s
    The wording of the contract is almost identical to Webley’s , the main difference being the reduction in working hours to 10 hours a day, and an increase in starting wage to 6 shillings and sixpence (32.5 p) a week. Real progress in worker’s rights.

My interest in guns and gunsmithing, which started from the age of 10, must be genetic, as I didn’t know anything about my great grandad’s occupation until I was in my 30’s!

What a fantastic document (the apprentice agreement) CC, great joy reading it! as is the Webley Document. It being a first edition is indeed interesting, but the lack of gun related content might lower its value a bit. Still I think £15-20,- is reasonable for this piece of Wembley history.