Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley lock screw size

Webley lock screw size

I have to make some lock screws to fit the Webley pistol hinge bolt. As I am not a Webley collector can a Webley expert tell me if they are 6BA or 7BA and the length of the thread please. I see its also called a keeper screw.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 13-12-2017 at 02:30 PM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Baz,
    if you would like a Webley Senior pivot bolt and keeper screw to measure, I can put one in the post for return when you've finished with it.
    I did go into this on another thread some time ago. but can't find the measurements in my files.

I've now found the original drawings so will email the scans to you if you PM or email your email address.
    Last edited by Troubledshooter; 13-12-2017 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Baz,
    if you would like a Webley Senior pivot bolt and keeper screw to measure, I can put one in the post for return when you've finished with it.
    I did go into this on another thread some time ago. but can't find the measurements in my files.
    That is very good of you to offer, I will wait until Saturday as my RFD mate has a Senior for sale that I can borrow.

Baz

That's fine baz, but you are welcome to scans of the original Webley drawings which show the keeper screw thread to be .106 Dia. x 50tpi Whitworth.

I have now uploaded the drawings to my sig. site, so just go to the 'Webley Senior' album.
    Last edited by Troubledshooter; 13-12-2017 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Additional Info.

Thread sizes

According to my BA chart, they are mid-way between 6 and 7 BA! Maybe a special "gunmakers" size, or BSF thread.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Now I am confused, too small for a BSF thread, and the nearest spec is 3/32 Whitworth I think which is 48 T.P.I. ? Think its too recent a design to be a bicycle thread. Nice to see original drawings on your site.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 13-12-2017 at 08:51 PM.

Keeper screw

I'm in the process of "resurrecting" a Webley pistol which needed a keeper screw. I have a large number of "odds and end" screws, but the Webley one has a head with a bigger diameter and is also deeper than any of my spares of a similar size. A 6 BA screw will only enter 2.5mm into the pivot screw, instead of the full 4mm. It definitely looks like a "special" so could be hard to duplicate. 50 tpi doesn't appear to be a standard whitworth size. Luckily, I found a 6 BA screw that I could modify, but it was a fiddly job. I didn't try to buy a spare as I'm a retired engineer and like a challenge!

I've now had a quick look at the Protek Supplies site, and these screws are available.
    Last edited by webman; 14-12-2017 at 04:40 PM.

If you look at the original drawings on my site, you will see the screw is clearly marked as being Whitworth thread, as stated in an earlier post.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    If you look at the original drawings on my site, you will see the screw is clearly marked as being Whitworth thread, as stated in an earlier post.
    But as webman says a 50 TPI Whitworth does not seem to exist, 48 TPI in a 3/32 inch is listed on charts.

Baz

Can anyone x ref the keeper screw thread with what's specified on a drawing for the axis bolt that receives the locking screw?

Finest BSW thread listed in my tables is 40 tpi on 1/8........

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    Can anyone x ref the keeper screw thread with what's specified on a drawing for the axis bolt that receives the locking screw?
    Gives the same thread dimensions on the axis bolt...

http://mynetimages.com/album/Trouble...img=dfce43a601

Can't check at the moment but could it be the same as a BSF thread, something in the back of my mind says they might be similar. If you have a die it might be worth knocking up a bit of threaded bar to try the fit?

Keeper screw

I can't find a standard screw size in any thread form chart which matches the keeper screw.
    Last edited by webman; 14-12-2017 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    Can't check at the moment but could it be the same as a BSF thread, something in the back of my mind says they might be similar. If you have a die it might be worth knocking up a bit of threaded bar to try the fit?
    Think the nearest is BA thread, I have taps and dies for these. Can re-tap the axis bolt easily.

Baz