Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Schofields

Schofields

Two models of these.

Pellet firer in antique black with faux wood grips.
    BB firer in steel grey with faux ivory grips.

The bb model is handsome the pellet firer looks purposeful.

Both boxed with manual.
    Co 2 key in grip.

Both nice and easy to operate.
    Taiwan on the side as they are obviously proud of them.
    Hold is a bit odd ,a little over the grip for me.

Vile weather so only shot indoors.
    Power ok on both.
    @ 56 degrees f.

6 yard targets with pellet model.
    Good accuracy and shot count with three different pellets.
    Co2 left when I had finished.

I was using my Red Bob bell target and the bell rang a lot more than I expected it to.
    Especially one handed!

More accurate than the standard pellet Umarex Peacemaker and the Crosman Cowboy.
    Need to compare it to the 6 inch Umarex though.

Leaving target work on bb to another day.

A bit vague for a full review but I am very pleased with them and look forward to the range in better weather.

I had saved for these and getting them both got me £40 off the list prices.
    That’s my excuse anyway!
    Last edited by gingernut; 15-12-2017 at 10:05 AM.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    .y
    Fantastic initial review. Thanks Patric. Mine arrives this weekend. Can't wait (but guess I'll have to, lol ). Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I handled one of these in Protek last week. They look very nice and have the weight and feel of the real thing. I have a deactivated uberti copy of one of these.
    Funny you were testing one on a Red bob target as he bought one of the pellet firing ones last Friday
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Thanks for the quick review,Patrick.Do you have a favourite yet of the two Schofields as I am poised and ready to buy one,though I know inevitably I will get both!

ATB.

I don’t think I have a favourite MrT hence the double purchase.

I doubt the bb model will be as accurate as the pellet one but it a great looking gun.

I don’t know if you can shoot pellets through the bb one.
    Barrels look the same but you can’t really see.

Bb shells load at front pellet at rear hence pellet supposed to be bit more powerful.

Hope to get to the range as it warms up a bit.

Incidentally I never did get spare Peacemaker grips.
    Just swap them around now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I don’t think I have a favourite MrT hence the double purchase.

I doubt the bb model will be as accurate as the pellet one but it a great looking gun.

I don’t know if you can shoot pellets through the bb one.
    Barrels look the same but you can’t really see.

Bb shells load at front pellet at rear hence pellet supposed to be bit more powerful.

Hope to get to the range as it warms up a bit.

Incidentally I never did get spare Peacemaker grips.
    Just swap them around now and again.

Thanks Patrick,maybe I'll get the pellet version first for a change this time although I prefer the nickel and white grip look as I'm sure you well know.

I didn't find my 'friendly' local gun store helpful in the slightest when it came to ordering spare anything from Umarex,so I
    will grip swap from time to time as the mood takes me.

Regards,
    Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Thanks Patrick,maybe I'll get the pellet version first for a change this time although I prefer the nickel and white grip look as I'm sure you well know.

I didn't find my 'friendly' local gun store helpful in the slightest when it came to ordering spare anything from Umarex,so I
    will grip swap from time to time as the mood takes me.

Regards,
    Mark.
    I wanted to put the nice black Ranger grips on a nickel one Mark but only the co2 side comes off.
    Their is no screw on the other side because of the badge.
    I think there are two little internal screws that I need to look at.

They will look great.

As you know the ivory grips on the gloss black are nice too.
    Little things.....

But Umarex are missing a trick here I think.
    Must be a profit in grips.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I wanted to put the nice black Ranger grips on a nickel one Mark but only the co2 side comes off.
    Their is no screw on the other side because of the badge.
    I think there are two little internal screws that I need to look at.

They will look great.

As you know the ivory grips on the gloss black are nice too.
    Little things.....

But Umarex are missing a trick here I think.
    Must be a profit in grips.

A cased pair of nickel SAA's,one with white grips and one with black grips would look nice.I agree Umarex would do well to make a selection of colours available in after market grips.

I suspect,though they like to control the colour configuration as a way to sell the same gun many times over.

Thankfully, there is now robust competition to Umarex in Western revolvers, let's hope another company makes an SAA available,but with removable cylinder as Umarex should have done....

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

as "bj" and "patrick" say these are great pistols.having handled the real thing [deac] they
    compare favourably..but the bonus is they shoots as well as they look.
    the pellet version is the most desirable in my opinion, also the pellets are inserted at
    the rear of the cartridge which makes loading less of a faffle.
    interesting little feature the inside of the grip has a tool to screw the cartridge into position.
    the pellet version i have is smooth bore! but at 10yds i hit most trgts in my garden plus ring the bell on occasion
    on the bell trgt at 6.

PS "BJ" hope you make a fast recovery from that nasty off on that super triumph of yours!
    bit of a shock to come across the shattered remains on the side of the road..i picked up your top boxs etc and will return
    to your door.. another "oh i didn't see you there" while changing lane at the last moment!
    Last edited by red bob; 15-12-2017 at 07:06 PM.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    .y
    Fantastic initial review. Thanks Patric. Mine arrives this weekend. Can't wait (but guess I'll have to, lol ). Atb: G.
    It's here! ... I went for the antique finished BB firing example with the faux ivory grips. The finish is truly fantastic. No wonder Taiwan wanted to ensure their country's name was on it as the country of origin via the wording 'MADE IN TAIWAN' as Patric has pointed out? But seeing as how said acid etched wording is no more than ten point tall, no more than an inch in length, and subtly only on the right hand side just above the grip, seriously, as Patric also pointed out, this really is not a problem.

The break-action is similar to that on my Webley MkVI antique finish BB pistol, and also as with my Webley MkVI, the Schofield incorporates an intriguing mechanism which pushes the cartridges up off their seats as the pistol is broken to aid their easy removal/replacement.

Being the BB version, loading the cartridges is simple as they load from the front, so all I do is pour a hand full of BB shot into an old up-turned Pringles lid (the lip stops the shot from escaping), then one by one place a removed cartridge front tip over a BB (holed to accommodate the ball), gently press down to secure the shot in place (learned this trick with my Webley, whose cartridges also load from the front), re-load all six to the revolver mechanism, and once loaded, close the barrel mechanism, and Bob is your Uncle.

Accuracy at ten yards while I am getting used to my new BB Schofield this morning already seems considerably better than with my BB Peacemaker, and on an even parr with my aforementioned Webley BB Mk.VI. Further up-dates to follow, but at present, am thoroughly delighted, and can't see that changing any time soon. As said, more later . Atb: G.

Last edited by Gareth W-B; 16-12-2017 at 09:58 AM. Reason: clarification.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Try to avoid using the grip tool Bob as they can snap off!
    Metal into plastic is not a great idea.

Mark you may know that the Crosman Cowboy has a removable cylinder which is easy to do and makes a jammed pellet not the problem it might be in other models.
    It’s also fun to to do it for no reason.

I like the Crosman but I would advise use of Crosman or Umarex co2 capsules as others can fail to pierce properly or at all.
    I also think it is better suited to bbs rather than pellets although you get both shells with it.

Good to see yours has arrived Gareth.
    Bet you get a pellet one too!

My Eureka Moment !!!

My Schofield's BB cartridges fit and work perfectly in my BB Webley Mk.VI pistol, and transversely, my BB Webley Mk.VI cartridges fit and work perfectly in my BB firing Schofield pistol, too!

For notwithstanding the fact that the Webley cartridges are stamped 'Webley' around the brass lip, and the Schofield cartridges are stamped 'Schofield' around the brass lip, both cartridge types are identical and fully interchangeable.

Guess they must be made in the same factory -- or at least to the same specifications -- which given the known marriage between AGS and Webley, if you think about it, is not too surprising? I really find this discovery very refreshing, and wanted to waste no time in letting you know. Viva La Standardisation.

As I understand it, and this appears to be borne out by the fact that the price for pellet versions and bb versions are the same, the Schofield is, like the Remington Cowboy, smooth barrelled.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

If I am not wrong this would mean the only difference between the two, apart from cosmetic options currently available, is that one comes with bb shells that load from the front and the other with pellet shells which load from the rear.

Either gun will shoot both pellet and bb. So if you prefer the finish of the bb gun but want a pellet gun, you can buy the bb gun and then buy a set of pellets shells.

I would appreciate somebody being able to confirm this.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

As stated, I currently only have the BB version of the Schofield (although as Pat indicates above, me being me, that may well change, lol ), and that is a smooth bored pistol.

As the pellet firing Webley Mk.VI sports a rifled barrel, however, whereas the BB version is smooth bored, given that the Schofield range appears to be from an interconnected stable, unlike the Cowboy, it is highly likely that the pellet firing Schofield may well have a rifled barrel, too?

Am sure someone with both versions () will be along soon to clarify. Meanwhile my new toy and I are off out for a further bout of plinking ...

I can’t see down the barrels to see if they are different.
    They look the same at the business end.
    I will check manuals and boxes.