Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Schofields

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    I did a whole module on the history of America's frontiersmen and the expansion West, as part of my degree back in the day, as being a child of the 1960s and 1970s when the Wild West ruled our three channel TV screens, I just can't help but love that whole 'Cowboy' period of history.

I love the idea of doing a degree partly based on the Old West. Like you I revelled in the exploits of The Virginian, The High Chapparal, Wagon Train & of course Clint in Rawhide. Much later on a brother in law lent me a set of Time Life books that covered life in the Old West. What an eye opener!! The best bit now is that I get the chance to relive all those "gun fights" of my childhood. Happy Days indeed
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul55 View Post

I love the idea of doing a degree partly based on the Old West. Like you I revelled in the exploits of The Virginian, The High Chapparal, Wagon Train & of course Clint in Rawhide. Much later on a brother in law lent me a set of Time Life books that covered life in the Old West. What an eye opener!! The best bit now is that I get the chance to relive all those "gun fights" of my childhood. Happy Days indeed
    Yep those were all good shows. From your list I especially liked The Virginian (much better than Bonanza imo), but my two favourites as a boy were Alias Smith & Jones (the name of which was parodied by a comedy sketch show in the 1980s which went by the name of Alass Smith & Jones and featured Mel Smith and Griff Jones), and Branded. Remember that one?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    The immortal Chuck Connors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXlUS5-ag_g

Dave Allen did a spoof of the opening sequence. He played the part of the CO. He went through all the motions but when it came to the sword breaking part he didn't turn the blade & cut off his leg

I miss Alas Smith & Jones, I loved their head to head sketches.
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Some bb Schofields are reluctant to rotate pellet shells so we can’t assume shells are interchangeable.

Mine for one will not comfortably accommodate pellet shells!

A pistol sold as a pellet shooter at an increased price but only having a smoothbore barrel is taking the pi$$ in my opinion.
    Why not just sell the same version in a choice of 2 finishes and a set of bb and pellet shells included? At least the marketing for the Crosman Cowboy was honest and you get both sets of shells.

My RFD sells them at the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul55 View Post

The immortal Chuck Connors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXlUS5-ag_g

Dave Allen did a spoof of the opening sequence. He played the part of the CO. He went through all the motions but when it came to the sword breaking part he didn't turn the blade & cut off his leg

I miss Alas Smith & Jones, I loved their head to head sketches.
    Wow! Thanks for the link. Yep, that's the one, takes me right back, cheers.

Yep, I remember that Dave Allen sketch from the day, as it made me laugh, and ...

Like you, I really liked Alas Smith & Jones, too, but I miss Alias Smith & Jones more.

Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post

My RFD sells them at the same price.
    Pellpax, the purveyor of my Schofield do this, too, as seemingly do most, so I can't see an issue here ???

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Pellpax, the purveyor of my Schofield do this, too, as seemingly do most, so I can't see an issue here ???
    If they're the same price then fair enough, although the rrp's are different. Still a cheek to market a smoothbore as a pellet shooter though don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by AdeC View Post

If they're the same price then fair enough, although the rrp's are different. Still a cheek to market a smoothbore as a pellet shooter though don't you think?
    Yep, I'll give you that.

Apart from the fact that the pellet shooter is accurate so who cares about the barrel?
    Maybe the pellet shells do the work rather than the barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post

Apart from the fact that the pellet shooter is accurate so who cares about the barrel?
    Maybe the pellet shells do the work rather than the barrel?
    Good point Patric, and well presented, plus given the extra engineering and manufacturing considerations and costs involved in producing the pellet-friendly cartridges over the more utilitarian BB cartridges, any up-lift in price to reflect said difference between the cartridge costs, when and where they may materialises, is, within reason, imo, wholly justifiable, acceptable, and understandable.

To get this thread back on track, then, these Schofields are (again imo) definitely the best built, best finished, and most powerful of the Western styled pistols on the market, and being weight-wise, and design-wise virtual replicas of the original pistols as used by Jessy James and Wyatt Erp et al (please see this thread's earlier posts for further info on these facts), these Schofields are in this air gun and Wild West anorak's opinion, the best of the batch.

Pity they don't do the steel version with white handle in pellet form.

I much prefer it to the aged black version.

They should offer more choice of finish.

I believe there are silver ones available in some countries.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Nickel Schofields are available in the States and in time they will probably become available here also,I'd imagine.A rifled barrel version may well appear at some point,too.

I'm sure this first iteration in two finishes of the Schofield is but the first wave, and the Sheridan Cowboy I bet we see in at least one other finish in the future.
    Last edited by mrto; 21-12-2017 at 12:50 PM.