Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Schofields

My steel finish bb shooter will shoot pellets but in another one I tried the pellet shells stopped the cylinder rotating.
    Shells must be a bit different?

I think that's the only difference between them. The shells. I can't see them going to the expense of making different guns. The increase in velocity and therefore accuracy comes from the pellet shells effectively increasing the barrel length

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    My steel finish bb shooter will shoot pellets but in another one I tried the pellet shells stopped the cylinder rotating.
    Shells must be a bit different?
    Indeed, so maybe the pellet shooter's roundel cartridge receivers are different to the BB shooting version, too? That would further explain why one model is designated as a pellet firer, and the other a BB, with the anomaly that the pellet cartridges will work in the BB guns but not visa-versa?

Also, Arthur, have you actually seen these Schofields in the flesh, yet, as the livery with the faux ivory handles isn't a false patina as with the antique finish Colt (which I also like btw), but rather an even nickel finish, but with a dark and even hew to it which oozes quality and looks superb, which was why I bought one.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Gingernut, you're really tempting me.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post

Gingernut, you're really tempting me.
    Gingernut ?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Got one of these on my to buy list..

Just tried a club mate's antique finish Schofield and it balances very well. Not too much obtrusive white markings either. My first shot dropped a 20 yard skittle, as did my third. I also managed to ring a 40 mm bell at 10 yards twice out of 3 shots, so I'm well impressed! Very nice crisp trigger release too.

John

P
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post

Just tried a club mate's antique finish Schofield and it balances very well. Not too much obtrusive white markings either. My first shot dropped a 20 yard skittle, as did my third. I also managed to ring a 40 mm bell at 10 yards twice out of 3 shots, so I'm well impressed! Very nice crisp trigger release too.

John
    Hi John. So how long will it be before you join us in the Schofield Owners Club, then (lol)?

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    P

Hi John. So how long will it be before you join us in the Schofield Owners Club, then (lol)?
    Don't even go there Gareth!

I think there there were a few prospective new members at the club this morning as that pistol proved very popular with all who tried it.

Kind regards,

John

I took my deactivated Schofield to Protek Supplies to compare with the Co2 model. It is a pretty good copy; the main differance is that the grip is much bigger than the orginal as it has to contain a 12g Co2 cartridge.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

As far as the business of pellet shells not fitting the BB cylinders goes, I am somewhat surprised.

It would hardly be cost effective for the manufacturer to produce two different cylinders and then sell them at the same price.

Maybe it's just down to individual guns whether the shells bind or not.
    Arthur

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    I took my deactivated Schofield to Protek Supplies to compare with the Co2 model. It is a pretty good copy; the main differance is that the grip is much bigger than the orginal as it has to contain a 12g Co2 cartridge.
    That's interesting BJ - did both pistols weigh and balance the same? My preconception of the CO2 Schofield was it would weigh more than it actually did.

Kind regards,

John

The pellet shells have a bigger ridge around the bottom which is why I think they stop the bb versions cylinder revolving.

I was able to compare the two models at the range last Saturday.

For can bashing at 10 m there is no real difference in accuracy.
    The bbs seem to hit harder.

At longer ranges ,15/20 m the pellet version has the edge but bb one isn’t bad.

For 6 yard paper target the pellet groups better.

Both are good pistols in my view.

The 7 inch pellet Umarex Peacemakers out shoot them but they have a nice rifled barrel and are much more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    That's interesting BJ - did both pistols weigh and balance the same? My preconception of the CO2 Schofield was it would weigh more than it actually did.

Kind regards,

John
    The "real" schofield weighs more 1400g vs 1080 for the Co2(empty no Co2 chartridge) and is more muzzle heavy, but it is made of steel and the barrel is blocked with a steel bar.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

I was a little bit surprised to hear how well the Schofield pellet version performs from a smooth bore barrel. Only a little less accurate than the rifled barrel Colt SAA by all accounts. I assume that would be the six inch barrelled Colt, not the 7.5" one.

Apparently the smooth bores do lead up quite a bit though when you put pellets through them and have to be cleaned regularly.

Still, it does kind of pose the question: are rifled bores actually necessary for fun CO2 pistols shooting pellets at max 10 m?
    Arthur