Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Schofields

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post

I was a little bit surprised to hear how well the Schofield pellet version performs from a smooth bore barrel. Only a little less accurate than the rifled barrel Colt SAA by all accounts. I assume that would be the six inch barrelled Colt, not the 7.5" one.

Apparently the smooth bores do lead up quite a bit though when you put pellets through them and have to be cleaned regularly.

Still, it does kind of pose the question: are rifled bores actually necessary for fun CO2 pistols shooting pellets at max 10 m?
    Interesting point, and I would proffer, for fun Co2 shooting, probably not (but what do I know ) ???

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I'm sure you know a lot more than me Gareth.

Just might try the pellet Schofield because there is no difference in price.

However as far as the Colt SAA is concerned , I would probably buy a bb version, because they are so much cheaper, especially from Germany.

And also because I know I'll spend more time looking at it than shooting it.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post

And also because I know I'll spend more time looking at it than shooting it.
    Lol. That's why I went for the BB Peacemaker, too -- but went for the Schofield designated BB because I fell in love with it's livery (and in the fullness of time, know I'll probably spend more time looking at said Schofield, than shooting it, too ).

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

ASG 1877 Smith & Wesson Schofield

Noticed a selection of these in a local RFD, they looked impressive and purposeful. How does the SA trigger compare to the Umerex Peacemaker (which is very good)?

The Schofield appears to be quite a bit larger than the Umerex Peacemaker even though the barrel is of a similar length (6" Schofield v 5.5" Colt). I prefer the proportions of the (Smith Wesson) Schofield to the (Colt) Peacemaker, the tiny grip and trigger reach on the Peacemaker felt a bit odd to me. I expect the larger grip is appropriate to the length and forward weight of the Schofield.

At first sight the pivot for the barrel/cylinder looks a bit odd compared to the sleek Peacemaker. However, the action appears to be very effective and the dual purpose rear sight/barrel catch demonstrated HERE seems clever; the large landing area should stand up well to long term use, even though made of alloy metals. The effective length provided by the cartridge on the pellet firing version also seems a bonus.

Certainly will be looking at these more closely
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Collected mine today; black pellet version. I had been fighting the urge to buy one, that I have bought one is all Rob Ontarget's fault.
    Put a quick six pellets through it on the dealer's range - just to check it worked - and was very impressed with the accuracy, as was the dealer's airgun chap - I shot six, turned and asked him if he'd like to try it and he nearly knocked me flying in his rush to get hold of the pistol!
    Appearance is impressive, as is balance and trigger. I think it's going to be a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by stevew View Post
    Collected mine today; black pellet version. I had been fighting the urge to buy one, that I have bought one is all Rob Ontarget's fault.
    Put a quick six pellets through it on the dealer's range - just to check it worked - and was very impressed with the accuracy, as was the dealer's airgun chap - I shot six, turned and asked him if he'd like to try it and he nearly knocked me flying in his rush to get hold of the pistol!
    Appearance is impressive, as is balance and trigger. I think it's going to be a lot of fun.
    I would probably go for the pellet version with the aged black finish. Tend to prefer that finish on the Peacemaker and Webley MkVI, but appreciate why many prefer the pristine new look - as opposed to one that looks like it has been around the block

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Try to avoid using the grip tool Bob as they can snap off!
    Metal into plastic is not a great idea.
    Ooops - like this

Has anyone experienced any wear on the inserts of the cartridges on the pellet version? Just wondering whether the inserts wear/loosen after loading/firing many pellets on these rear loading cartridges (pellets can have a variation in diameters and are not quite so smooth as bbs).

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    Yep, 'oops' indeed !!! ... That'll not happen to me, however, as ever since I became the proud owner of a Colt Peacemaker courtesy of your good self, I have followed your advise to the letter, never used the built-in tooling, and always use a traditional L shaped Allen Key to pinch up the Co2 bulb (not too much torque needed, and you soon get the feel). I have transposed the same valuable piece of operational information to the use of my Schofield, too, so thank you.

The person in the video was obviously over-tightening the Capsule. I think he was deliberately trying to break it.
    I use the one on the Colt and I have had no trouble with it. Mind you the colt one does look more substantial than the Scolfield one.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    The person in the video was obviously over-tightening the Capsule. I think he was deliberately trying to break it.
    I use the one on the Colt and I have had no trouble with it. Mind you the colt one does look more substantial than the Scolfield one.
    Or he was just cack handed, but you could see it was going to break

Gordon Buck silly ....

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    You are correct, the hex tool on the Peacemaker is set into a large piece of metal, unlike on the Schofield where the small hex key set into a small (feeble) plastic web.

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    WTF was he trying to do to that Co2? Certainly someone to avoid buying a used gun from. It takes 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn at most to seat the Co2 properly.
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Quote Originally Posted by Paul55 View Post
    WTF was he trying to do to that Co2? Certainly someone to avoid buying a used gun from. It takes 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn at most to seat the Co2 properly.
    He was going for gold!