Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bbc news

Bbc news

Just been watching the news and they are showing a piece about a child who was shot and killed in 2016 while playing with another boys fathers gun, it seems the boys family are trying to get a airgun ban has anyone else seen this.

I only caught the word "airgun" on the headlines as I was putting my breakfast pots away. More detail later, I guess. And I guess it'll be linked to any proposed licensing debate which isn't new to us?

Will hopefully catch up later and hope that anything presented is done so in a fair and balanced manner.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

There have been a number of threads related to this incident.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I only caught the word "airgun" on the headlines as I was putting my breakfast pots away. More detail later, I guess. And I guess it'll be linked to any proposed licensing debate which isn't new to us?

Will hopefully catch up later and hope that anything presented is done so in a fair and balanced manner.
    Its being shown again soon if you missed it before.

Relatively well balanced report. Interviewed the stricken parents and then someone at a range. They interviewed some chap from the BASC who I thought was ropey. He broke the barrel of a Gamo (I think), pointed at the breech latch and said "This is kept in place by the trigger"....

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyD View Post
    Just been watching the news and they are showing a piece about a child who was shot and killed in 2016 while playing with another boys fathers gun, it seems the boys family are trying to get a airgun ban has anyone else seen this.
    Another very sad case of loss of life by not following guidance in the safe keeping and storage of an air gun. My heart goes out to the parents of the boy but why bring this up in 2018?
    You see where I am going with this.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    Another very sad case of loss of life by not following guidance in the safe keeping and storage of an air gun. My heart goes out to the parents of the boy but why bring this up in 2018?

A.G
    Same here it's never nice to hear something like this no matter how old it is, and you seem to be hearing more and more lately..
    I feel its only a matter of time before Airguns get licenced here. I'm in two minds about it to be honest, but licencing will not stop incorrect gun safety or stop irresponsible people owning to shooting guns, as always we well just have to go with the flow and see what the future for our sport/hobby brings..
    ATB Marc
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post

A.G
    It's being brought up again because of the Home Office consultation that's going on at the moment

Seriously, can't people see the connection without needing it pointed out

Here's one of the threads, for those who have not yet responded.

Its being brought up now because there is an home office review of airgun regulation under way.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/h...pon-regulation

There are two deaths reported, one a child being shot accidentally by a neighbour and one young man being shot by two 14 year old boys.
    Both these incidents are covered by current law and making people have licenses would not have stopped the deaths.
    Making people have a licence would generate some income for the government although the cost of administration would probably out weigh the revenue gained.
    The police are already stretched to issue shotgun certificates so I am sure they would not welcome this.

Neil

With all the media hype around these incidents it is only a matter of time till the licensing of sub 12 airguns becomes mandatory. Scotland was the blueprint and we will get something similar if not the same. Its sad that irresponsible people will be the cause of the demise of our sport and nothing will stop the same people getting an airgun likely with the same net results in the press due to stupidity. Stupid is as stupid does.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Edge View Post
    With all the media hype around these incidents it is only a matter of time till the licensing of sub 12 airguns becomes mandatory. Scotland was the blueprint and we will get something similar if not the same. Its sad that irresponsible people will be the cause of the demise of our sport and nothing will stop the same people getting an airgun likely with the same net results in the press due to stupidity. Stupid is as stupid does.
    Which is why it's important to point out that had EXISTING rules/regulations been obeyed these deaths would not have happened so there's no need for new ones.

I can see a 'Tax' coming on the rules and goal posts will change by people who have never had the privilege of even holding a Gamo never mind shooting one. why not ban smoking? do something more beneficial
    'Beans??!!....Beans are for Riflemen' (capt Yates 2RGJ)

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Which is why it's important to point out that had EXISTING rules/regulations been obeyed these deaths would not have happened so there's no need for new ones.
    Unfortunately we will not be listened to in this case. I firmly believe that the decision has already been made they are just working on the best way to implement the changes.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Edge View Post
    Unfortunately we will not be listened to in this case. I firmly believe that the decision has already been made they are just working on the best way to implement the changes.
    Well I don't, because it's not being driven by the Govt as such,
    yes, a couple of MP's who represent the families concerned support it, but even the Home Office minister who announced the review didn't seem too keen & the police don't want airguns licenced because they can't cope with SGC/FAC as it is.

Don't bother quoting Scotland because the SNP were the ones pushing that through as a political vote grabber, so the facts didn't matter.

Airgun licences yes ... but get rid of the 12ft lbs limit.

Won't happen, but nice to day dream about it.