Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Government review link

i have used some of Para's letter and added some more points that i think are prudent .

Dear Sir/Madam
    I think as a country our gun control regulation is stringent with enough control measures in place to ensure that they are used correctly.

As a firearms owner I know that the police FEO teams already struggle with managing firearms licencing administration the burden of extra work will only see this service struggle further.

The banning of handguns has had no effect on gun crime which still takes place the only persons affected were the law abiding shooters who belonged to clubs etc who can no longer carry on with their sport.

The people that misuse airguns at present will not respect any new regulations as they do not follow the strict regulations that in place at present .

The incident involving Benjamin Wragge was a tragic incident which if the owner of the airgun had stored correctly in accordance within the requirements of section 46 of the crime and security act 2010 namely
    24ZA
    (1) Failing to prevent minors from having air weapons
    It is an offence for a person in possession of an air weapon to fail to take reasonable precautions to prevent any person under the age of eighteen from having the weapon with him .

Benjamin Wragge was shot and tragically killed with an unlicensed airgun (above the 12ftlbs limit set under the firearms (Dangerous Air Weapons ) rules 1969 ).

The airgun involved was found in an airing cupboard within the house on the property where Benjamin was shot and killed . Had the airgun been stored in accordance with section 46 of the crime and security act 2010 , This incident may never have happened

There are a number of businesses that rely on shooting as a living, tighter controls would see a possible closure of these shops ,they may sell other sporting goods like fishing goods but the airgun side of the business will suffer and possibly lead to unemployment and the business closing

The government needs to uphold the penalties that are currently in force or implement stricter penalties to those that break the law with airguns rather than imposing stricter regulations on the law abiding airgun users .

Paul

does that seem ok ?

i have not sent it yet .

i found the evidence of the airing cupboard from a report

https://www.buryfreepress.co.uk/news...dent-1-7999202
    "DI Hayward said the airgun had been taken out of the airing cupboard where it was stored by the boy who had brought his friends home to see progress on the building of a new shed."

furthermore it was a homemade gun and could be fired with out the trigger being pulled

"Richard Kennett, joint firearms licensing manager for Norfolk and Suffolk Police, told the inquest the gun which fatally injured Ben had been ‘home made’ by the person who sold it and who was not a recognised manufacturer.

Had the law on the licensing and registration and storage of airguns been amended in the past, Ben’s death could have prevented.
    Zoe Wragge
    The air rifle had no safety catch, could be fired without pulling the trigger and it could not be seen if it was loaded."

te owner was not even aware of the power of the rifle

"Although the weapon was found to be slightly more powerful than the limit requiring the holding for a firearms certificate, it had been sold by the manufacturer and accepted by the purchaser as complying with that limit."

so clearly the owner was very lax in relation to condition of the airgun and its storage. so any new regulations are going to punish responsible owners because one owner did not have a clue that his rifle was illegal and had also stored it in plain sight of kids .

Paul
    Last edited by bighit; 22-12-2017 at 11:36 AM.

Thanks Bighit
    I don’t follow your paragraph staring..The incident involving Benjamin..
    Have you missed out .. would not have happened?

The Bury press report is not great.
    It says the gun was not from a manufacturer and then refers to the manufacturer.
    It also fails to make the point that safe storage regulations were in force.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Thanks Bighit
    I don’t follow your paragraph staring..The incident involving Benjamin..
    Have you missed out .. would not have happened?

The Bury press report is not great.
    It says the gun was not from a manufacturer and then refers to the manufacturer.
    It also fails to make the point that safe storage regulations were in force.
    no , not missed anythng .

The incident involving Benjamin Wragge was a tragic incident which if the owner of the airgun had stored correctly in accordance within the requirements of section 46 of the crime and security act 2010 namely

24ZA

It is an offence for a person in possession of an air weapon to fail to take reasonable precautions to prevent any person under the age of eighteen from having the weapon with him .

i was implying that the owner had not complied with section 46 24ZA

maybe its the big space between the incident sentence and the 24ZA sentence.

as in the owner had not followed th regulation and i then stated the regulation so that person reading the letter would then know the regulation. maybe i have set it out wrong ?

if i wrote is this way

24 ZA(1) Failing to prevent minors from having air weapons

would that be better ?

Ok you make the point anyway.
    And you have prompted me to submit my comments to the Home Office.

Ok you make the point anyway.
    And you have prompted me to submit my comments to the Home Office.

thanks . i hope more add their voices too . the scottish response could have been better but the scottish government would have ignored them anyway as they were putting it through no matter what.

i hope the english government listen.

I really thought they might give it a rest for a while.
    Or at least grasp the simple fact that its people not airguns that are the problem.
    Oh and also that Criminals by their nature do not follow the law!

I really thought they might give it a rest for a while.
    Or at least grasp the simple fact that its people not airguns that are the problem.
    Oh and also that Criminals by their nature do not follow the law!
    yes. its the law abiding that will be penalised and the chavs and gardeners that shoot cats will carry on doing so. it wont affect them in their minds

I have had my say by e-mail to the home office and my MP.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    yes. its the law abiding that will be penalised and the chavs and gardeners that shoot cats will carry on doing so. it wont affect them in their minds
    And we all know that if a cat turns up shot in an area where there is a law abiding airgunner whose door they'll be knocking on, don't we?

Quote Originally Posted by SuffolkRifle View Post
    And we all know that if a cat turns up shot in an area where there is a law abiding airgunner whose door they'll be knocking on, don't we?
    Possibly . My mate was caught with a webley tempest at school and he was cautioned and the pistol taken off him and his mate had an air rifle in a bag ,he was cautioned also but kept the rifle .

About two months later they were taken in and questioned after a shotgun was stolen a few streets away from his house .

He had loads of witnesses he was in glasgow at the time as he was at the rangers match and on the bus at the time of the break in . his witnesses said they remembered him and his mate as they were drunk and nearly got thrown off the bus in glasgow

the police searched both their houses also . they were told that as they had been cautioned for gun offences ,they were prime suspects . that is in the early 90s .
    Last edited by bighit; 15-12-2017 at 09:00 PM.

I've already contacted my MP and will reply directly to this asap
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

I suggest as many people as possible reply and hopefully the sheer number of opposals to more restrictions will make the government take notice
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

I would be grateful for any guidance as what to say to them in a poliet manner please? I also would like to know what percentage of airgunners they consider indulged in ' unlawful ' activities as to go thorugh the expense and trouble of a ' review ' of air weapons act? This is where I become suspecious of their motives.

A.G

Sent mine off, not holding my breath, but you never know.