Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Government review link

Sent my response off after first reading it, haven't had any sort of reply or acknowledgement (I even put my postal addy in)

Quote Originally Posted by SuffolkRifle View Post
    Sent my response off after first reading it, haven't had any sort of reply or acknowledgement (I even put my postal addy in)
    Recommend cc'ing in your MP to your email so they have a record and you can chase them about it too
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    I would be grateful for any guidance as what to say to them in a poliet manner please? I also would like to know what percentage of airgunners they consider indulged in ' unlawful ' activities as to go thorugh the expense and trouble of a ' review ' of air weapons act? This is where I become suspecious of their motives.

A.G
    Do as i did and read the story of Ben Wragge and and others that have injuries or deaths due to airguns and see what the have in common = lack of safe storage and possibly being found loaded .

Then look at the current regulations and then see where the incidents went wrong = safe storage and being found loaded .

Had the airguns been stored within the current regulation for safe storage ,the incidents may not have happened .

You cant shoot your friend with an airgun that is locked away from children and if they had found but unloaded they may not have been injured or killed unless they found the pellets too.

Then back your reply with facts for example the coroners report that i found in one article and the police report . they tell you that the rifle was FAC with no license which would have required a gun cabinet and a license if the owner knew it wsa an FC rated rifle ,and the police report saying the rifle had no safety ,it was loaded ( it could hold 9 pellets in this case) and it was found in an airing cupboard .

The owner of this rifle is in my eyes guilty of offences and had a major part in this child's death through the un safe storage and leaving the magazine loaded (unless the children found the pellets too and loaded it ).

Find as much facts as you can related to the regulations and quote them as i did . if you quote it word for word as it is stated on the official government sources then you will not go wrong .

At the end of the day ,these incidents are carried out with rifles that have not be safely stored away or by people that do not give a stuff who they hurt and who will never follow the regulations no matter what they are .

There is strict regulations in place and any further regulations will not stop the idiots that leave their airguns unsafely stored or leave them loaded in the house where they ave children who can easily find them .

How many people on here with children in their houses have airguns in display cabinets in their living room or on the landing of their stairs and do they have child proof locks on these cabinets ? or left in a wardrobe and no locks ?

how many have read this https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...r-lock-and-key

"From 10 February, owners will be liable for a fine of up to £1000 if they do not take reasonable precautions to stop unauthorised access to their airgun by people under the age of 18. Safety leaflets informing new owners of the offence will be also be included with every air gun purchased."

You cant be with the children at all times and it only takes one to take the airgun and find a pellet and shoot one of their friends or brother and sisters .

its easy to say you are a responsible owner but still have them in plain sight of children with no security to stop them taking them out and messing about with them .Is that a responsible owner ?

Its only my wife and i in our house but my Theoben evo is locked away in my cabinet with my shotgun and .22lr.

until all owners of airguns follow the regulations that we have for safe storage ,there will be incidents like the death of Ben Wragge
    Last edited by bighit; 26-12-2017 at 03:18 PM.

I have written to my MP with a copy of the email to the fire arm consultation people attached. I have asked for his support even though he is Labour. I highlighted that in every case of the accidental injury and death the accident had been caused by none complaince with safe keeping and operation of an air weapon/fire arm and nothing else.
    I hope that common sense prevails and that logic rather emotion rules the heads.

A.G

Hi everyone. I've just realised that I forgot to post the response I got from Nick Hurd MP back in November after writing to my MP who passed on my concerns. Doesn't really give us anymore clues but read into it as you will. It was a pdf and looked like a copy of a letter as it had a ink date stamp on it.

Thank you for your letter on 17 October on behalf of your constituent XXXXXXXX of XXXXXXXX, about my recent review into the regulation of air weapons. Mr Coffey is concerned that the review may lead to the introduction of a licensing regime for air weapons, and that this will harm law-abiding shooters.

I announced a review into the regulation of air weapons on Monday 9 October. As I explained in the House of Commons, before announcing the review, I gave careful consideration to the report presented by the coroner in relation to the tragic death of Benjamin Wragge, who was 13, when he was accidentally shot with an air weapon in 2016.

The review will consider what can be learnt from the regulatory position in Scotland and Northern Ireland, but it will also focus on the appropriateness of existing regulatory controls in England and Wales, particularly those that seek to ensure that air weapons are secured safely and securely and not inappropriately accessed by children.

We will want to ensure that we listen to a wide range of views on these issues before taking any decisions arising from this review.

Nick Hurd MP
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

Apologies for reviving a slighty dated thread, however I received a reminder from another forum so I added a few points to my first email which I felt needed to be said

Dear Sir/Madam,

I think as a country our gun control regulation is stringent with enough control measures in place to ensure that they are used correctly.
    As a firearms owner I know that the police FEO teams already struggle with managing firearms licencing administration the burden of extra work will only see this service struggle further.
    The banning of handguns has had no effect on gun crime which still takes place and infact has got worse according to crime statistics published by the Met police 2017 by 42% in london alone.

Infact the only persons affected were the law abiding shooters who belonged to clubs etc who can no longer carry on with there sport.
    Airgun shooters as a whole enjoy the membership of clubs etc and cause no problem to the general public. Can I ask your stance on banning cars because tragically three teenagers died when they were killed on the 26th January 2018 by car and thats just in 1 day over the course of a year Im sure the deaths caused by cars is numerous in comparrison to those injured or killed by Airguns.
    There are a number of businesses that rely on shooting as a living, tighter controls would see more uk shops struggle.
    The government need to look at the harsher punishment of the people causing the nuisance as a deterent and stop punishing the majority for the acts of a reckless minority.

This whole idea seems a pointless and unecessary distraction when there are far more pressing security issues.

Regards

Mr Matthew Sproston
    Weihrauch HW97 .177, Weihrauch HW80 .22, Weihrauch HW77 .22

I have resent my letter as i never got a reply so lets see if get one this time

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    I have resent my letter as i never got a reply so lets see if get one this time
    My MP responded by saying that he had passed on my views to the minister in charge. Lets hope so.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    My MP responded by saying that he had passed on my views to the minister in charge. Lets hope so.

A.G
    i got a reply but it did not go down well when i posted it here

Thank you for your email.

Responses to the review of air weapons regulation will be taken into account as part of the review. However, due to the volume of responses, we will not be acknowledging each response individually.

- Tackling Crime Unit this bit caused offence

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    i got a reply but it did not go down well when i posted it here

Thank you for your email.

Responses to the review of air weapons regulation will be taken into account as part of the review. However, due to the volume of responses, we will not be acknowledging each response individually.

- Tackling Crime Unit this bit caused offence
    I got that too. I have had a reply from Nick Hurd when I wrote to my MP before Xmas. If the review wants to bring in more regulations, I'll be advising my MP that I can't see any reason to ever vote conservative again
    Danny

Quote Originally Posted by danco1987 View Post
    I got that too. I have had a reply from Nick Hurd when I wrote to my MP before Xmas. If the review wants to bring in more regulations, I'll be advising my MP that I can't see any reason to ever vote conservative again
    i wrote my local MP who was the leader of the scottish government and it was his party that brought it in up here
    I cant remember the full email but he said they would take on board all the reasons for and against and we would have a fair decision in any subsequent legislation

But his justice minister had other IDEAS and said it was going to happen no matter what was said and he did bring it in .