Thread: For those with the Webley Air Pistol Book by Gordon Bruce - Question?

For those with the Webley Air Pistol Book by Gordon Bruce - Question?

Just got my copy of Gordon Bruce’s book today and immediately turned to the Chapter containing information on my new to me Webley Mark 2 Target. What I found was that the illustrations show something really odd? I’m not going to take pictures of the books illustrations for obvious reasons but enough of you have the book and you can follow what I’m saying. I have the first pattern pistol and one defining characteristic of these is at the front, the spring guide is recessed into the front tube. Here is my pistol.

https://i.imgur.com/XS2typt.jpg

This is the same as Bruce’s illustration on page 33. Serial number 10792 (this has to be one of the first ones made). Illustration on page 35 duplicates my picture.

Now go to page 36 and look at that pistol. He states that it is a second pattern because there is now a flange on the end of the spring guide, and you can see it in the picture. That gun is clearly serial number 15,367. (Its other characteristics are clearly first series, filister screw with no locking screw.) In the text he says the flanged spring guides began after serial number 22,800.

My gun is serial number 21,454. On page 39 in his illustration of these two spring guides, serial number 16089 is recessed and serial number 22,845 is flanged.

I was assuming mine was near the end of the resessed version, which makes sense. The pistol number 15367 doesn’t? I assume it’s just an odd ball? Or do I need more egg nog or a new hobby?
    Last edited by 45flint; 24-12-2017 at 02:25 PM.

For those with the Webley Air Pistol Book by Gordon Bruce - Question?

You have one of the first Mark II pistols. Probably, the confusion arises from the fact that these were produced with, and numbered in sequence with, the Mark I; so there is no useful way of dating them precisely. You have an impressive collection by now - keep up the good work - and a Merry Christmas to you and yours!

John

One thing early British air gun manufacturers such as BSA and Webley were known for was their lack of wastage of materials and component parts. This often led to so called transitional models and the occasional odd ball example to puzzle future collectors.

I personally find the research associated with the acquisition of these older air guns to be as enjoyable as finding and using them.

Happy Christmas

Brian