Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there anyone on the forum who doesn't have a HW80

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Own 7 and have owned over 78 of them since 1983. Could say I like them. Mach 1.5
    If you like them that much then why have you got rid of 71 of them over the years

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I haven't got one but I would definitely like one. And a 98 and a 97 etc etc etc etc.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHW45 View Post
    I haven't got one but I would definitely like one. And a 98 and a 97 etc etc etc etc.
    I have all the "proper" HW's and love them, having a collection is good.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    If you like them that much then why have you got rid of 71 of them over the years

Pete
    They are like Pringles.

Also, people keep putting up threads like this and mythologising the tool. For most people it is too much gun, like the Webley Patriot is too much gun.

If you like break-barrel springers there is the 95 and the 99 and those are both better choices for this country.

The 80 had its moment in the sun, and I'm sure if I lived in the US or somewhere without a power limit I would have one. But for the UK it would be better to have say, a custom Super Sport or somethink.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Thanks for your ill-conceived and utterly wrong opinion. Have you found that Hw97 stock yet?
    Graham from the club has it,he is going to try to fit the action in his homemade ev2 stock,if he gets ok the synthetic one will go,I’ll see him next weekend I’ll see where he’s at

I have found over the years the HW80 is a Marmite gun, people either love em or hate em
    Like everything it has it's bad points and good points but when I got into them lots of Pest Controllers had them and the great man himself John Darling along with Venom made them popular. Ted the game keeper who taught me when I was 10, bought one so I had to get one and never been without one in 31 years, good or bad I just love em
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    nice solid gun.. with a bore or stroke reduction, they can shoot very nice at 12 FP.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hw80.

Got rid of the 71 cause they weren't Venoms!!! Plus the fact still owning 78 of the same rifle is abit strange even by my standards. It's funny to see people rating the HW95 and 99 but back in the day the HW85 and HW50 / s no one was interested!! Funny how times change. Mach 1.5
    Last edited by Mach 1.5; 14-12-2017 at 07:22 PM.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    nice solid gun.. with a bore or stroke reduction, they can shoot very nice at 12 FP.
    A 15mm short stroke makes it the same bore and strike as the HW35. There are some who say the 35 is the best sub 12 rifle ever made. Imagine that, but with the extra build quality, design and weight of the 80!!

Please don't buy an HW99, ever! It's really not fit for purpose.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post

If you like break-barrel springers there is the 95 and the 99 and those are both better choices for this country.

The 80 had its moment in the sun, and I'm sure if I lived in the US or somewhere without a power limit I would have one. But for the UK it would be better to have say, a custom Super Sport or somethink.
    I own two 95s, two 99s and a 98. Love them all, too.

But, for many out there, a "proper" HW has the screw in end block. Putting the Predator aside, as it's a reduced cylinder Lazaglide, my two other 80s are "standard" Venom tuned. And the .22 one was my trusty, go-to hunting rifle for many years. Very smooth cycle, accurate and forgiving. Not used the old girl for a long while now as I don't hunt, but it really did ought to come out for a play sometime soon.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I have all the "proper" HW's and love them, having a collection is good.
    I reckon i'll have one more before the bash. I'm torn between the 80 and 98 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Got rid of the 71 cause they weren't Venoms!!! Plus the fact still owning 78 of the same rifle is abit strange even by my standards. It's funny to see people rating the HW95 and 99 but back in the day the HW85 and HW50 / s no one was interested!! Funny how times change. Mach 1.5
    Back in 1981-2 I decided that I'd rather have something like an FWB Sport than something that seemingly weighed nearly as much as an L1A1 SLR and fired a projectile with 2,425 fewer foot-pounds of energy.

So I've never owned an 80.

I don't hate them, and actually like and rate them when properly tuned, but for some reason they never pushed my button enough to buy one. And the best Venom etc ones are now silly money.

You are right on the 85. When they came out, I was impressed and seriously thought about replacing the FWB with one. But didn't because they were so similar. I got one a while ago, and actually still prefer the FWB. But that may be because of 35 years of familiarity.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I own two 95s, two 99s and a 98. Love them all, too.

But, for many out there, a "proper" HW has the screw in end block. Putting the Predator aside, as it's a reduced cylinder Lazaglide, my two other 80s are "standard" Venom tuned. And the .22 one was my trusty, go-to hunting rifle for many years. Very smooth cycle, accurate and forgiving. Not used the old girl for a long while now as I don't hunt, but it really did ought to come out for a play sometime soon.
    Did you know Tone - regarding the skinny 95/98 actions (and I assume the 50/99), B.B. Pelletier reckons:

The thin tube causes shooters to take one precaution that isn’t required on other R-series rifles. If you tighten the scope bases too tight, you’ll temporarily squeeze the tube into an oval.
    From here: https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2010...man-r9-part-1/

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHW45 View Post
    I reckon i'll have one more before the bash. I'm torn between the 80 and 98 though.
    Erm, er, er, er.......you really HAVE got to have the both of them, Mike.

Sorry, not helping, am I?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Did you know Tone - regarding the skinny 95/98 actions (and I assume the 50/99), B.B. Pelletier reckons:

From here: https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2010...man-r9-part-1/
    I'll have a little look at that shortly, young Phil.

I do like his articles and often look in, but he does drop the odd goolie!