Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there anyone on the forum who doesn't have a HW80

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Although I don't own an 80 I believe most people should own one as I think it is the one of the best survival rifles to keep for any future coming food shortages. It is a robust, simple well built rifle. For a long term maintenance and ammunition availability you could replace everything yourself, even homemade parts, and have the potential of decent power. With no availability of parts it is possible to make most of the wearing items.

Baz
    I would have to be pretty hungry to eat an HW80. Maybe an old HW35 or BSF, at least they have leather washers.

secretagentmole Guest
    Never had an 80, had a few 95s and a 77 but never an 80!

I’ve had far too many, I sold my last ‘standard’ one not too long back. I still own one which is sleeved down though, so not really an 80 any more!

Like driving around an artic truck to do your shopping.

Baz
    Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post

Very fond of the 80, but you don't need a sledgehammer to crack a nut
    Very good analogies.

The '80 is far better suited to U.S. power outputs. For the U.K. muzzle energy laws I would prefer the '95. I does the same job without the truss.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I would have to be pretty hungry to eat an HW80. Maybe an old HW35 or BSF, at least they have leather washers.
    I can see you are not an experienced hunting man to realise what potential you have to put something on the table with an 80. Rabbit, hare, pigeon, duck, squirrel, rat. Watch the film "No Blade of Grass", when food supplies run out in UK.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Not got one, but did have one 30yrs ago & back then thought my mates 77 was heavier.

I don't understand all the whinging about weight, as i have both a 97 & a tx & an 80 surely can't be heavier than them ?.

Rob

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I can see you are not an experienced hunting man to realise what potential you have to put something on the table with an 80. Rabbit, hare, pigeon, duck, squirrel, rat. Watch the film "No Blade of Grass", when food supplies run out in UK.

Baz
    Seen it, the dubious hero is willing to kill anyone in his way just to survive. Even his own brother. Nasty piece of early 70s paranoia. I'm quite familiar with the HW80s ability to kill things, my pal had one when they first came out, running about 17 fpe. Not really into prepping, if things go tits up I will probably just die like everyone else.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 14-12-2017 at 10:56 AM.

My name is RancidTom, I own HW 80's. I have owned many but never ever sell all of them. It's not a problem, I currently have cut down to 2.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Some robust reposts (with a wink in the eye)

"It's too heavy."
    Then do some press ups and get fitter. Shooting an 80 regularly will make you a physically more able person.

"The action is too slow."
    Practice. Practice. Practice. You'll become a better shot - with all rifles.

"It looks boring."
    Then you have missed the point of an 80. It isn't the one dancing manically in the middle of your living room trying to get noticed. It isn't the one trying to please everyone and failing. It isn't the one with mood changes and an inability to commit.

It's the one sitting in the corner of the room quietly. Waiting patiently like a dog gazing at its master. It's the one you turn too when you need something reliable and uncomplicated. It's the one which will give you an honest days work without any sort of nonsense or complaints. It's the one which doesn't mind if its raining or at risk of getting muddy.

It's a HW80.

Quote Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post

It's the one sitting in the corner of the room quietly. Waiting patiently like a dog gazing at its master. It's the one you turn too when you need something reliable and uncomplicated. It's the one which will give you an honest days work without any sort of nonsense or complaints. It's the one which doesn't mind if its raining or at risk of getting muddy.

It's a HW80.
    Same power and accuracy as a fettled HW99S but SO much more metal and wood! Enjoy your chunky dumpling ...

No Weihrauch 80 but a Diana 52 is on it's way.

I have never owned one.
    The HW77 is better. Original 45 as good.
    Think I've had 47 different 80's rifles to see what they were all about, (several of the same trying to find one that worked). The HW80 has had no real appeal.

It was John Darling's spring hunting rifle in .22, with an Optima scope; something I always thought interesting. Yes, he could hunt to 45m but that was down to practice. Hunting rifle: spring in a big lump; Record Trigger; .22 for wallop in the farmyard; break barrel for convenience and fast follow up shot.

But at that weight there are better mousetraps.
    AA TX does it better out of the box without the break barrel, but its fast enough. Better looking rifle too.

In truth I just don't want that weight rifle in a break barrel, as they are for shooting standing unsupported, fast and furious. Give me a HW95, FWB Sport, Webley Omega, most BSA's, Theoben; basically anything at 7.5lbs or under without scope.
    If I want to nat shoot I'll use a fixed barrel, heavyweight, gun emplacement like a HW77 or TX.

Having said that if I saw one I just thought looked great I'd buy to try; just in no rush.

Never had, never wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Logunner View Post
    Never had, never wanted.
    Yep +1...

Quote Originally Posted by Logunner View Post
    Never had, never wanted.
    Likewise
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177