Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Is there anyone on the forum who doesn't have a HW80

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHW45 View Post
    I reckon i'll have one more before the bash. I'm torn between the 80 and 98 though.
    If I could only have one air rifle it really would be the HW80. With a short stroke it will run beautifully at sub 12 with a pleasurable and reasonably accurate cycle. Come the zombie apocolypse knock off the short stroke, sharpen the muzzle and it's a survival tool with no equal!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    If I could only have one air rifle it really would be the HW80. With a short stroke it will run beautifully at sub 12 with a pleasurable and reasonably accurate cycle. Come the zombie apocolypse knock off the short stroke, sharpen the muzzle and it's a survival tool with no equal!
    Yes.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Did you know Tone - regarding the skinny 95/98 actions (and I assume the 50/99), B.B. Pelletier reckons:

From here: https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2010...man-r9-part-1/
    I wondered about that, I think it is nonsense. More likely to stretch the bolts. The 11 mm section of the cylinder isn't going to crimp up like that.

HW had just bought out BSF and probably just fancied having a go with a BSF type sight mount, maybe one of the BSF staff had something to do with the origin of the Old School 85?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Erm, er, er, er.......you really HAVE got to have the both of them, Mike.

Sorry, not helping, am I?
    Its inevitable it will happen eventually.

It's really a nostalgia thing. When the R1(HW80) came out it was the most powerful thing around, supposedly. I liked my R1 with open sights and it was accurate enough and not heavy at all. One day, back in 1998, I found out what computers are for. Works of the devil that make you lust after all manner of airgun. I spied this thing called a Pro Elite and had to try it. Beautiful and it put out 22 ft. lbs. of power more accurately than the old R1 did at 16-17. I know there were some problem PE's, but mine was very good. 10 Crosman Premier 14.3 gr. pellets straight from the box and the spread was a high of 834 and a low of 829. The standard deviation was 1. Then I went and got bitten by FT and all other guns have left to be replaced by 8 venerable old TX 200's. Nostalgia is powerful, if you don't believe it look at the following the FWB 124 has. Except for ease of cocking, the HW95 stomps all over the 124. It's just nostalgia. I just hope something better doesn't come along to beat my TX's, or I may become nostalgic about them and not move on.

Owned two 80's including a mint mk1, sold them both as they got little use. Strangely I prefer the 90, enjoy shooting them much more, must be the gas ram?

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    I agree the 99/95 at UK power can equal the 80 if you just think of your guns as just tools but for me the 80 is a pleasure to own and I would have thought that on a airgun forum guns were more than just tools.

My keepers are a combination of things that I like not just practicality

The TX is something different but is also a airgun legend and a must have for a airgun enthusiast

I think people who think an 80 is heavy, long lazy shot cycle etc need to look at some stats! 80mm stroke is not long, shorter than a 95, hence a shorter cylinder and hence again a shorter gun! Weight wise yes heavier than a 95 but in k form not too bad especially by under lever standards. My own 80 in walnut stock 10" barrel is only marginally heavier than my 95k in similar spec but holds on aim much easier. I have shortened the stroke to 60 mm and it shoots lovely using falcon a plus. Basically, an 80k in a walnut sporter stock with a sensible sized scope is a difficult gun to beat in my opinion.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

80mm is long when it’s a 30mm piston weighing as much as a small child.

Standard ones can be shot perfectly well with practice & the right technique, but I’m of the same opinion of some of the other comments, why ‘learn’ to use something so ill suited to uk limits when there are lots of other guns which are lighter, better suited etc etc.

Smile

Have to say, I like them, I have a .22 mk1 80 that was in a state when I bought it, Dead rusty!

Also have another mk1 that's .177 on a lefty walnut stock, It's actually fine to shoot left or right handed though!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Love that Left Hooker John !
    “An airgun or two”………

[IMG][/IMG]

I only want to see if I can post a photo.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Here we go !
    Very nice Ian !
    “An airgun or two”………

Hello, well I don't and to be honest I really don't think I am going to, a rather different kettle of fish ( wonder where that comes from?) but I bought an HW 57, new, and it was dreadful a real mechanical mess, should Never have left the factory. Unusable.
    Sorry.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I'll have a little look at that shortly, young Phil.

I do like his articles and often look in, but he does drop the odd goolie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I wondered about that, I think it is nonsense. More likely to stretch the bolts. The 11 mm section of the cylinder isn't going to crimp up like that.

[...]
    Agreed. Although there is history of this kind of thing reportedly happening. The ally cylinder from the Webley Eclipse, for example.

Another obvious advantage with the solid milled steel trigger block of the big HW80, is (with a bit of engineering), you can have a proper fixed spring guide in there. If you want to.