Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there anyone on the forum who doesn't have a HW80

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Is there anyone on the forum who doesn't have a HW80

Is the 80 a must have airgun ?

I have now had my 80 for about 18 years and it would probably be the last gun that I would part with, every component has been has been checked in the action and I now would like a custom stock

Here is the plain jane

And I would like it in a stock like this

but I guess some of you guys have better, would you like to post

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Is this thread going to be like the bloke in 1990's New York who was so tired of having his car window smashed to nick his radio he put a note on his seat saying "This car has no radio!"

He got back to his car and found his window smashed and a scrawl on his note that said "Well f@#kin' fit one then!"

This replyer does not have an HW80...and don't particularly want one.
    Undeniably well made, but too heavy and stylistically boring with a captital 'B' I'm afraid...
    (Pulls tin hat firmly down and crouches....)
    Last edited by harvey_s; 14-12-2017 at 12:02 AM.

Had a 1984 model in .177 FAC for many years. I discovered Air Arms springers in the late 90's and never looked at the old R1(HW80) again. I only looked at it once more when a friend offered me a TX(my 6th) in trade. I nearly ripped my pocket off my pants getting out that $100 bill to go with my R1 as a trade. I'd have given him $200 if he'd pushed me for more. For my purposes, an HW80, just isn't appealing.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I'll give you three guesses

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    No I haven't got any plans to get one either
    Pete

I have had two, but in the end sold them as I did not see the point if you shoot them at sub 12 ft.lb. Why lug around a heavy load when you can get the same power and accuracy from a little HW 50 and many lighter other options. Like driving around an artic truck to do your shopping.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Personally I have no use for one I have had a couple though, one being a mint mk1 last year, or was it early this year mmm can't remember My beautiful late 80,s 77k, 99 and 30 are probably all the Weihrauch, s i need.

I've had 80's for most of that last 25 years though sold my last one about 2 years ago.

Very fond of the 80, but you don't need a sledgehammer to crack a nut
    B.A.S.C. member

I would not have one one given.far to long and heavy for a 12lb rifle..would not even have one in fac as a rimfire is lighter and shoots further
    Hw95 would be my chice in .25 for rats

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I'll give you three guesses

Pete
    Strange that.

I have three of them and they're all keepers!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Although I don't own an 80 I believe most people should own one as I think it is the one of the best survival rifles to keep for any future coming food shortages. It is a robust, simple well built rifle. For a long term maintenance and ammunition availability you could replace everything yourself, even homemade parts, and have the potential of decent power. With no availability of parts it is possible to make most of the wearing items.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

The '80 has been out of fashion for months on here.

Currently the one to have is the '98.

Please do try to keep up.

how many of the people that say the HW80 is too heavy have a TX200 ?

3.9kg
    The stock has a shaped, checkered pistol grip and a rubber buttplate. The HW80 K comes as standard with a Weihrauch silencer. Total length: 106 (cm) Barrel lenght: 41 (cm) Weight: 3.9kg.

“If you want to compete with the best in Field Target competition, the Air Arms TX200 air rifle is ready straight out of the box.” Technical Specifications:
    Action Style: Rifle.
    Overall Weight: Beech – 4.1kg (9lbs) Walnut – 3.9kg (8.6lbs)
    overall length 105cm
    6 Dec 2015

TX in beech is heavier than a HW80 but the same weight if its a walnut stock and a cm shorter unless you go for a TX200HC at 97.4 cm

all info via google

i used ti use my nephews 1994 HW80 in the fields and the weigh was not an issue . i would be out on average 8 hours a trip i only put a sling on near the end of using it and giving it back to my nephew .

i wanted one and got offered a theoben evolution instead . i bought the Evo i should have held out for a HW80 as i prefer it to the Evo.
    Last edited by bighit; 14-12-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The 80 has too much swept volume to be efficient, so it will have a lazy firing cycle at 12 fpe unless short stroked or sleeved down. The sheer weight of it will make it more accurate in most peoples hands than a lighter rifle, but why not buy a HW77 or HW97 if you want a heavy rifle? The HW85 old school was a better choice for the UK, but even that is a bit too much volume, and as Rickenbacker points out, its fancy-pants daughter the HW98 is now the Queen of the Break Barrel springers in the UK.

The 80 is an old cannon suitable for FAC, or for very big chaps or chapesses, the over 6' 2" mountains who would look silly with a smaller rifle in their spade-like hands. The modern HW35 is a better choice if you want old-school over-square Weihrauch fun at 12 fpe and its only £220 new.

I have owned one, it was too long and inelegant, broke it for parts and kept the barrel for my HW85.

I have 3.

The first time I held one was at the local ironmongers (in the days when anyone could sell an air rifle). Fell in love there and then. Took about 30 years for me to get one.

Those that love them, really love them. Probably to the point of insanity.