Thread: Original model 10 pistol.

Original model 10 pistol.

I have a model 10 original pistol for which I have just bought the barrel weight. Trouble is i can't attach it as there are no screw holes in the barrel shroud. Does anyone know if my earlier shroud can be modded so i can attach the weight. ?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdorset View Post
    I have a model 10 original pistol for which I have just bought the barrel weight. Trouble is i can't attach it as there are no screw holes in the barrel shroud. Does anyone know if my earlier shroud can be modded so i can attach the weight. ?
    I suppose you could drill through the shroud and tap the underneath of the barrel, but it would have to be done very carefully.

I have a feeling this is how the second series of the Model 10 was adapted with the under-barrel weight - ie retrofitted with no change in the (brittle) shroud moulding at the manufacturing stage. The moulding seems to crack at this point quite often, so it probably should have been strengthened first.

Personally I would leave well alone and if you want to make the front of the pistol heavier for shooting, find a reversible way to attach the weight temporarily.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thanks for that.There is no way I will attempt to tap the barrel I wondered whether the screws just bit into the plastic shroud after drilling a pilot hole as they do not protrude much out of the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdorset View Post
    Thanks for that.There is no way I will attempt to tap the barrel I wondered whether the screws just bit into the plastic shroud after drilling a pilot hole as they do not protrude much out of the weight.
    I suppose the weight must have screwed into just the shroud and not the barrel, thinking about it, because otherwise the shroud couldn't rotate around the barrel...

But as I say, I think the weight was retrofitted and the shroud should have been strengthened at the point the screws went in. Be very careful if you do drill the shroud - they probably get more brittle with age.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Like Danny, I'd leave well alone. If you need the barrel weight on, some kind of reversible adhesive solution would be the best bet.

The shroud is practically irreplaceable, owners with cracked shrouds have difficulty trying to find a replacement.

The later Mod 10 model had the holes ready for the weights, but it would not be advisable to drill (weaken) the shroud to provide a permanent hold for the weights.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Yes i think ill take your advise and leave alone. Could rig up some kind of removable band to hold the weight on . Would hate to wreck the shroud. Thanks everyone for the advise.