Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: prices

prices

is it me or are airguns going up to much
    I been looking at several guns to purchase and in 3 months they have gone up at least £60
    even the second hand ones are stupid prices a 20 yr old hw 45 is selling for more second hand than they were new
    I have seen second hand aretemis pistols selling for 200 quid when they are only 190 new if you bother to shop around

Prices are going up everywhere but a gun is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. Shop around for best prices. I have found Melbourne gun in Derbyshire to be quite reasonable compared to other local gun shops around here.
    Bob

No doubt it's due to Brexit

As for second hand. Maybe the older hw45 is worth more than a new one if the newer one is made via a cheaper route. The older one could be more desirable as they say.

Plus the seller's may put the prices higher if they expect haggling on the price.

And it will only sell for what the buyers want to pay.

The same with any item you may wish to sell.

I'd agree that prices do seem to be on the rise.
    The poor exchange rate (whatever the reason for that) does seem to be shoving the prices of imported rifles up, and I think this is having a knock on effect on prices on the second hand market.

Sellers offering secondhand rifles as "kits" with accessories do seem to be asking strong money. When I buy secondhand I usually want the rifle only
    B.A.S.C. member

I too baulk at the prices being asked for some new and particularly some second hand items. However it is best to remember that some items can be worth more than when they were bought new. They may have been made better and are substantially more to buy new, they may be rare, collectable and or desirable. After all you wouldn't expect to buy a Picasso now for what he sold it for when first painted!

These days rather than try to argue about overpriced items or get annoyed by it I just walk away. We are under no obligation to buy
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    These days rather than try to argue about overpriced items or get annoyed by it I just walk away. We are under no obligation to buy
    This is very true
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    The value of money halves about every 20 years. So a gun that cost £150 20 years ago would be £300 in today's money - without considering the points already made above, e.g. potentially higher manufacturing quality, and rarity, than can further increase the costs. Vintage guns are obviously a good example of all of these effects.

The cost of something 20 years ago has little to do with the market price today - I'm pretty sure you wouldn't let me buy your house off you for anything like what it cost 20 years ago
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    The value of money halves about every 20 years. So a gun that cost £150 20 years ago would be £300 in today's money - without considering the points already made above, e.g. potentially higher manufacturing quality, and rarity, than can further increase the costs. Vintage guns are obviously a good example of all of these effects.

The cost of something 20 years ago has little to do with the market price today - I'm pretty sure you wouldn't let me buy your house off you for anything like what it cost 20 years ago
    Thats a really good point.
    Considering the HW80 for one, a model that has been in production for a considerable number of years with barely any changes, I'd be happy paying 2/3 of the current new price of an 80 to get a good clean mk1. Its rather irrelevant what the cost was back in the day.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Thats a really good point.
    Considering the HW80 for one, a model that has been in production for a considerable number of years with barely any changes, I'd be happy paying 2/3 of the current new price of an 80 to get a good clean mk1. Its rather irrelevant what the cost was back in the day.
    some may want an older HW80 that does not have the safety warning on it like the newer ones have . so in that case it may well sell for almost the price of what a brand new one does . its small changes that can dictate the prices of older and newer items .

same with fibre optic sights . an older rifle with out the fibre optic sights may sell for more than a newer one with them .ok you could change the sights for the older type but that then may take you up to the price of the older rifle with the old style sights. this depends on the rifle the buyer wants mind you.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Modern rifles are the culprit to me, and some seriously naïve sellers.

I was having a wade through some of the classifieds last week, and I'm amazed at people expecting to get back 80/90% of their money on a second hand gun with no warranty because "it's like new and has only fired 200 shots" or similar. For me I'd pay the extra £150 on a £1k+ gun and get a new gun with warranty. Once you start saving 25/30% your in with a shout of selling in my opinion, but also a lot of people are talking "£ retail" - or "what it owes me" - and often they have paid £50/100 over what you can buy it elsewhere, so you could literally get it new for an extra £50 in some cases.

All guns will sell at the right price - fact.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Mmmm...prices are getting crazy. Soon, only council execs, NHS execs and a myriad of faceless eu bureaucrats (that we over-generously sponsor on golden salaries and pensions) will be able to afford them....

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post

Dont forget to add in the 20% £ devaluation due to Brexit into the equation

There is an airgun licensing consultation out now. If it goes through as it did in Scotland, what happens to airgun pricing?

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    There is an airgun licensing consultation out now. If it goes through as it did in Scotland, what happens to airgun pricing?
    If it does go through initially there could be an influx of cheap used guns available due to the fact there will undoubtedly be a percentage of people that will give up shooting air weapons due to the added hassle of owning them. In the long term I cant help feeling that the price of new Air Weapons will probably not change a huge amount due to new possible legislations. I fear that once again the innocent everyday honest person (airgunner) is going to be walloped by another law which will actually change nothing to realistically improve safety.

Quote Originally Posted by 12/200 View Post
    Dont forget to add in the 20% £ devaluation due to Brexit into the equation
    Its not that bad. You'll be blaming Brexit for missing soon!

Much is that the trade need to get a reasonable return on their stock on the shelf, to cover all their costs like business rates and wages. Our Trade Agents add 10% and only buy stock once or twise a year so its the exchange rate when they buy.

How much is a Mars Bar? A skinny one at that.

A good gun is always a good gun so second hand will follow the price of a new good gun. A "also ran" gun, just see how they get discounted.

A few years back shotgun prices jumped. Now other guns are following. Another realisation is that the buying public are prepared to pay a good whack for the latest good kit. £ to $ isn't so great so even grey imports don't look so great. In the EU then prices there have risen too, but we expect more. In truth a good gun was never given away.