Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airgun details

Airgun details

Hi all,I was just thinking that when you buy or sell an air rifle (sub 12ftlbs) do you ask for and retain the sellers/buyers details ie name, address and serial number date of sale etc? I don’t believe the law requires this , so who actually does this ? Thanks Mike.

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Why would you?.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    Why would you?.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    Hi,well for piece of mind with ref to stolen guns being passed on and also being able to prove you sold or purchased a gun on a said date to clear you of any wrong doing with any seized gun by police for what ever reason .I for one would insure a written receipt with as much info on the gun and buyer/seller as possible .you never know..... and who would not want to give any details at all ?

Quote Originally Posted by nuggs View Post
    Hi,well for piece of mind with ref to stolen guns being passed on and also being able to prove you sold or purchased a gun on a said date to clear you of any wrong doing with any seized gun by police for what ever reason .I for one would insure a written receipt with as much info on the gun and buyer/seller as possible .you never know..... and who would not want to give any details at all ?
    what if you are the 10th owner of said airgun ? would you expect EVERY owner to keep details ? is not like a FAC firearm or shotgun or a vehicle .

the first owner could have had the rifle stolen but the next 8 could have bought it in good faith.

and before any one says that they could be traced via the airgun license scheme in scotland like they can if they were an FAC firearm or shotgun ,they cant as they don't list the serial numbers on the scottish airgun license's

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    what if you are the 10th owner of said airgun ? would you expect EVERY owner to keep details ? is not like a FAC firearm or shotgun or a vehicle .

the first owner could have had the rifle stolen but the next 8 could have bought it in good faith.

and before any one says that they could be traced via the airgun license scheme in scotland like they can if they were an FAC firearm or shotgun ,they cant as they don't list the serial numbers on the scottish airgun license's
    So I am betting the person who stole the rifle wouldn’t want any of his details etc to be associated with that gun and therefore if he didn’t want me to have his details ,I and anyone intending to purchase that gun should walk away ... i mean that should set bells ringing straight away! So back to my original question .... should we get as much information as possible ? You normally only buy and sell a particular gun once and to keep the info of that gun in a book or other device along with any other gun sales /purchase you have made over the years isn’t a ball breaker and to me shows how important you take your hobby !!! What say you ?

So I am betting the person who stole the rifle wouldn’t want any of his details etc to be associated with that gun and therefore if he didn’t want me to have his details ,I and anyone intending to purchase that gun should walk away ... i mean that should set bells ringing straight away! So back to my original question .... should we get as much information as possible ? You normally only buy and sell a particular gun once and to keep the info of that gun in a book or other device along with any other gun sales /purchase you have made over the years isn’t a ball breaker and to me shows how important you take your hobby !!! What say you ?
    your saying you normally only buy and sell a gun once , can you say that for every gun sold in it lifetime ? i bet there is rifles on this very forum that have been sold and bought multiple times over the years either on here or the other forums .

and i bet most people would not think about logging details unless there was a warranty that was transferable or it was a custom or one off rifle .

yes some people may like to log details of the seller but as i say some guns could be bought and sold multiple times and it only needs one buyer or seller not to keep details and the trail is lost .

do you log the details of any other items you have bought used ? or would you only log your future airgun deals?

Talking

your saying you normally only buy and sell a gun once , can you say that for every gun sold in it lifetime ? i bet there is rifles on this very forum that have been sold and bought multiple times over the years either on here or the other forums .

and i bet most people would not think about logging details unless there was a warranty that was transferable or it was a custom or one off rifle .

yes some people may like to log details of the seller but as i say some guns could be bought and sold multiple times and it only needs one buyer or seller not to keep details and the trail is lost .

do you log the details of any other items you have bought used ? or would you only log your future airgun deals?
    I meant only buy / sell the same weapon once although I know some people have bought back their own rifle before but they would know the history of that if they logged details ,and no I don’t log every thing I buy as that would be a bit silly ! only items of value or importance in case of theft or accident and of course guns ... it only takes minutes and makes sense to me . What would it look like if you had your gun stolen and pc plod came round for details and you couldn’t even give them a serial number ! not very professional ! So they wouldn’t have anything to begin to trace it ! Or even prove you had it for insurance purposes . Go on just jot the numbers down you know it makes sense 😁

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I think it's an interesting idea.

I do keep a log of all my serial numbers, and when I sell them, I just move them into the "sold" section of my spreadsheet.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post

I do keep a log of all my serial numbers, and when I sell them, I just move them into the "sold" section of my spreadsheet.
    By stark contrast,if I have any qualms I might write down a make model and registration.

I meant only buy / sell the same weapon once although I know some people have bought back their own rifle before but they would know the history of that if they logged details ,and no I don’t log every thing I buy as that would be a bit silly ! only items of value or importance in case of theft or accident and of course guns ... it only takes minutes and makes sense to me . What would it look like if you had your gun stolen and pc plod came round for details and you couldn’t even give them a serial number ! not very professional ! So they wouldn’t have anything to begin to trace it ! Or even prove you had it for insurance purposes . Go on just jot the numbers down you know it makes sense ��
    you do know that some airguns don't have serial numbers ? so how would logging the details help if it was stolen?

i have logged my mountain bike serial number for insurance purposes but i did not log where it came from and i never logged the details of who i sold any to in the past .once is sold its not my problem .

yes i have the serial numbers of all my guns but i did not log their serial numbers as i bought them from people i know

when i worked in the mountain bike shop we took the names of people that traded bikes in . some came up as stolen and the addresses we were given were real but the people did not live there .

would you ask for proof of address from the guy you buy your rifle off in tescos car park and they had no car and walked there ?

if you think its fine then do so . but i bet not all thieves selling items give their real details.

you just have to look at the lengths the graham brothers have went to scam people .fake addresses ,fake names and so on.

just remember , not all people tell the truth

you do know that some airguns don't have serial numbers ? so how would logging the details help if it was stolen?

i have logged my mountain bike serial number for insurance purposes but i did not log where it came from and i never logged the details of who i sold any to in the past .once is sold its not my problem .

yes i have the serial numbers of all my guns but i did not log their serial numbers as i bought them from people i know

when i worked in the mountain bike shop we took the names of people that traded bikes in . some came up as stolen and the addresses we were given were real but the people did not live there .

would you ask for proof of address from the guy you buy your rifle off in tescos car park and they had no car and walked there ?

if you think its fine then do so . but i bet not all thieves selling items give their real details.

you just have to look at the lengths the graham brothers have went to scam people .fake addresses ,fake names and so on.

just remember , not all people tell the truth
    Fair enough each to their own ,but I feel the more we can do to make it that more difficult for the scammers and thieves the better ! Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post

Yep,fair play and only takes seconds .

Fair enough each to their own ,but I feel the more we can do to make it that more difficult for the scammers and thieves the better ! Mike.
    i agree, in theory it is a good idea but it just needs one scammer to catch you out.

and there has been a fair few people scammed on here by the grahams and more on other forums ,and there is more people out there like the grahams .

I don't bother with paper records but I could jump in the car & drive back to the house that I bought any of my private sale guns from obviously that fails rather with a postal sale

Hi all,I was just thinking that when you buy or sell an air rifle (sub 12ftlbs) do you ask for and retain the sellers/buyers details ie name, address and serial number date of sale etc? I don’t believe the law requires this , so who actually does this ? Thanks Mike.
    If you bought your gun new or used from an RFD they are obliged to keep a record of to whom the gun was sold. This has been the practice in the RFDs in the greater Manchester area as far as I know. If god forbid that gun was used in some illegal activity and then found and traced back to you then it is beneficial if you could prove that you had sold the gun in good faith to another party. On a different note I myself am not opposed to some sort of a log book for airguns.

A.G